4th Gen Firebird Swap

Buickturbo85

Loves The Buicks
Who do I contact for info/parts for doing a 4th gen hybrid? I've contacted several people I've seen on here who I thought had experience with these, but have gotten no response. I'd like to make this as easy as possible and would like to line up a trans crossmember, K-member, DP etc. Is there someone that makes these?

If you have any info, I'd appreciate it.

i just bought one and may be parting the car out. its a little bit of a basket case and i dont think i want to finish the project. i may be able to help you out with parts.

I don't think you contacted me. For starters there is no "easy as possible" with this. I believe I may be the only one to successfully pull this swap off. I know people that have tried and gave up. It is not cheap or easy but you will end up with a fast, fun, one off car. And I guarantee you won't pull up next to one at any show, track, corner store, gas station etc.

Turbo Charged Buick V6 - Feature - GM High-Tech Performance

Steve Kaminski
skturbo@aol.com
856-881-3235 Home & Shop
609-230-0132 Cell

I'm pretty sure I emailed you, but it might have gotten lost in cyberspace. And no, I'm sure it's not easy. The lack of info available leads me to that conclusion. But it would make it a lot more convenient for me to get pre-fabbed pieces, so long as they are affordable.

The car that I will be converting is a green 94 Firehawk, so it should definitely be unique. :smile:

I'll try to call you tomorrow.

I get alot of tire kickers when it comes to these conversions. Its not like installing a LC2 into a 3rd gen body.

Steve Kaminski

I'm sure you do, the internet is full of them, and I've dealt with plenty myself. I run a powdercoating biz, and I'm an ebay powerseller, so I've dealt with all kinds. The problem is, I can't be a tire-kicker now, as I've already picked up an LC2 a couple months ago here on TB.com. And I've owned this Firehawk since 1998, so I've got no excuses now. Tell me this thing isn't begging for some turbo buick power?? :cool:

june2010057.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

Steve you were the first guy I thought of when I read the thread :biggrin: Those are the old days now :eek:

Sounds like a neat project... IF you need anything I'm not too far away.
Good luck!
~Scott

Thanks for the offers for help, guys. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. I'm having Steve K build the frame mounts now, once those are back I can think about pulling the LT1 and fitting the LC2. Just don't expect great things at once. I'm very slow and time is at a premium right now. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest reading the L67 Grand National thread and considering swapping to the newer 3800 Series II that came in the 95+ F-bodies for mounts, trans, and overall fitment issues. I still think you're in the same boat for headers and such but there are more Series II turbo 4th gens than LC2 ones so the swap is a bit more prooven and I know someone has gone in the 9's on that combo.

I think this is a great idea, however, w/out trying to insult (because I'm not) why not just build a nice 5psi single turbo on the factory v8, or just supercharge it?

Price out a turbo kit or supercharger kit and you'll see why. :)

Then throw an aftermarket fuel system on for $1800 at least. And a tune.

Plus, my LT1 is tired. I would have to put $$ into it to make it worthy. I picked up a low-mileage, good-running TB drivetrain for under $2k complete.

And money concerns aside, I just always thought it would be a cool swap. :cool:

I'd suggest reading the L67 Grand National thread and considering swapping to the newer 3800 Series II that came in the 95+ F-bodies for mounts, trans, and overall fitment issues. I still think you're in the same boat for headers and such but there are more Series II turbo 4th gens than LC2 ones so the swap is a bit more prooven and I know someone has gone in the 9's on that combo.

you thinking of Tim King from intense racing's red firebird ? he was in the 9's but ended up in the high 8's with it - fastest rwd series 2 until an australian went 7.9

you thinking of Tim King from intense racing's red firebird ? he was in the 9's but ended up in the high 8's with it - fastest rwd series 2 until an australian went 7.9
I knew someone did it and it was more than just "recently" as I've been largely out of the L67 world for a while despite using the EFI system on my Riviera.

Its a strong motor!

anyone got more info on the engine specs for that car? thats flyin!!! what bottom end is he running and at what rpm?

Buickturbo85 said:
And I've owned this Firehawk since 1998, so I've got no excuses now. Tell me this thing isn't begging for some turbo buick power??

I'm all for swapping engines, but not in this case though, especially not with a Firehawk. I mean yeah, I can see a regular V6 Firebird model getting the nod, but an LT1? You'd make so much more power with the V8, not to mention without going through the hassle of the engine swap. Don't get me wrong, if you do it I wish you all the success in the world, but please consider the alternative first.... :cool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BjVLcBcMbo[/youtube]