47k mile GN

Getting pretty close to the end. Ac is charged, front end aligned. Car is at Harry's chillin while I wait for some finishing parts. Usps has apparently lost the trim parts. Car runs great and is baaad fast. It is ready for the 15x10 wheels when I get it back here!

Wheels are on. New airdams too and a new RF bezel. All painted satin black. Got the missing windshield trim. New hood cable from Highway Stars. Ran into a issue with Kirbans alternator. Flickering volts light and no charge after 2k rpm. Finishing touches. This car is super sweet.

Attachments

• 1429662445057.jpg
    1429662445057.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1429662464267.jpg
    1429662464267.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 1429662478349.jpg
    1429662478349.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 1429662494706.jpg
    1429662494706.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 1429662517655.jpg
    1429662517655.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 1429662537978.jpg
    1429662537978.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 1429662551840.jpg
    1429662551840.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 234
  • 1429662564826.jpg
    1429662564826.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 1429662582346.jpg
    1429662582346.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 1429662597533.jpg
    1429662597533.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 224
Few more stance shots.

Attachments

• 1429663654344.jpg
    1429663654344.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 1429663669679.jpg
    1429663669679.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 1429663691954.jpg
    1429663691954.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 1429663707068.jpg
    1429663707068.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 218
I have been asked to put build details all in one post, so here it goes.

Engine
std/std
stock rotating assy assembled/blueprinted by myself
212/212 comp roller cam
comp 941 springs
roller lifters from Dave at Turbobuickperformance, reduced travel
turbo te60 with garrett housing by Bison of Bison's Performance
TA Performance front cover blueprinted by myself
TA Performance timing set
62mm throttle body
60lb injectors
chip by Turbotweak
Arp head studs
9441pt head gaskets
mild ported heads with bowl work
cometic oil pan gasket, front cover gasket and rear main seal
pushrods from Full Throttle Speed
PTE SLIC from Full Throttle Speed

Transmission
Turbobuickperformance 3021 2800 stall convertor
blueprinted/overhauled by myself
.500 boost valve
.300 rev boost valve
billet pump rings
purple PR spring
my own shift kit with help from Dave and Bison
carbon band
28000 gvw external fin and plate trans cooler after the radiator cooler

Rear end
new 3:42 gear set from Yukon Gear
new Yukon tru trac posi unit.
new bearings throughout

Exhaust
TA drivers side header, stock pass and crossover
RJC 3in downpipe with cut out
Ceramic coated
Hooker Cat Back system..not coated

340 Walbro pump..Full Throttle
billet regulator...Kirban
new sending unit...Highway Stars
Racetronix Hotwire Kit
New stainless fuel lines feed/return/vent
New stainless feed/return lines on the engine
60lb injectors
New gas tank from Kirbans

Suspension
New MOOG problem solver UCA bushings
Orginal ball joints, front springs LCA bushing
New MOOG center link
New MOOG Idler arm
New sway bar bushings/pins
AC Delco Heavy Duty Shocks
New Moog rear springs
H&R rear sway bar
H&R upper/lower control arms 1/4 in longer
Poly body mount bushings
Poly trans cross member bushings

Brake's
Restored Powermaster with new Accumulator ball
Braided steel lines front and rear
All new stainless lines
New front rotors
S-10 rear wheel cylinders
brass proportioning valve

Alky control progressive methanol injection

Maf translator and 85 mm truck maf

Reproduction plug wires from Highway Stars

Stock ignition with NGKYR5 plugs

Corvette mini starter

Extensive powder coating

POR 15 on the frame and chassis floor pan

F body radiator
Stock fan
160 Stat
New Heater core

New alternator, water pump, belt, idler pulley bearing

New AC compressor
Condenser
Accumulator
HVAC hoses on core support
134a conversion

Machine Work by The Head Shop Inc Virginia Beach VA
Powder Coating by Advance Custom Coating in Newport News

Thousands of dollars spent with Kirbans, Full Throttle, Highway Stars

Thanks to David Husek at turbobuickperformance for tech advise
Thanks to Brian Bissonette at Bisons Performance for helping with the combo
Thanks to Scott Harris for letting me do this project on his dime!
Thanks to Harry Savage for trusting me enough to convince Scott to let me play with his car!

Steve..and to all who have followed this build. The results are difficult to attach adequate words. This is my brothers car, and as with many of us, life directs us in other tangents, and with my Brother's strong Faith in God, has realized that this new direction means that certain things are put on the back burner. Such as with my brother and this 47K GN. I received this car in a custom transport back in October. The transport driver said he delivers Lamborghini's and high dollar cars, and he said this one made his top 10. He was taking pictures left and right (via his associate) while being offloaded. I video taped it coming into town, pulling up to my house, the offload, and then I washed and waxed it before putting it to rest. We had things to do, before introducing it to Steve V.

I have been the medium in a very exciting journey. I have read, and watched on You-tube with interest all of you that have enjoyed the mystique of the Turbo Buick.. what an awesome medium turbobuick.com forum is....thank you to all that make this possible. Thank you to those of you that have made constructive comments and followed our journey along with us.
After developing, what I consider a great friendship with Steve V, and now being faced with an opportunity to keep this GN in the family, I am making every effort to shed my assets and carry the torch forward with this car. I recently sold my 69 Vet we built back in 1977...part of the deal for the 69, I have a pristine IROC I have to move now. Never been left out overnight since bought brand new in 1987. I picked up 4 years ago, An Astro roof, digital dash 87 GN...and have been waiting for my turn with Steve...however, the best thing that could have happened, was to be intimately involved in the 47K journey with Steve. So here we are.....

I have taken it to my first Cruise In, and the response and WOW factor is obvious and real..Steve has knocked this out of the park. To each of you in the Turbo Buick family that contributed to Steve's formula..thank you. I cannot adequately describe how driving an almost new 1987 Grand National, with an unbelievable balance between tame drive-ability and the obvious response and feedback in sound and feel that significantly more potential is just a few pounds of Boost away. The ride is firm but not harsh...you would swear this is not a 6...the harmonics say otherwise. His repeated tests and tweaks with the transmission are a linear hand-off from one gear to the next. The idle when backing off the throttle...and at the light, decries anything but a 6...when the Corvette starter brings it to life, it does not just come to life, it announces it is ready, and you savor it before you are ready to go. I could go on and on. And that is my plan, to take this forward, as a tribute to what Grand Nationals are, and in recognition to the talent and passion that Steve lives thru these. We are already talking a GNX theme in the dash area, and a few other items to insure longivity thru value added enhancements. Steve is keeping me under control.
I have been tempted to visit the First Kill section of this awesome forum. Yes, on the way home from the Cruise In, someone tracked me down, and paced me..had my wife and one of my 25 year old twin sons with me..so I had to behave (as much as possible). He races along with his brother at a local speedway here..and was his first ride in this GN. Our first hit was at 45mph...and thankfully we had the MT drag radials on...I pulled the LT-1 so soundly...grins abounded in the car. We met at the next light..and friendly exchanges went both ways. His wife was giving us the thumbs up, and he indicated he had heard of these cars...but. When the light went green, I waited and paced him, side by side, and once thru the light he went full throttle. As did I....the GN kept pulling, harder and harder..each shift crisp and launched when it handed off to the next gear....there was NO comparison between the LT-1 and us...it was done, and it was obvious. My son then told me, "I now understand why you wanted one of these cars so badly". It will be with me, for my brother to drive when he comes into town to visit...as his trust in me, and then with Steve to spread his wings and do this build...made an opportunity for me that otherwise may not have happened. More to come....thanks for letting me ramble on here. Steve, you are awesome.

Resurrecting this for a friend, Harry still enjoying he car...lol..

Nice work Steve! There are only a few people left who really know what they are doing on these cars. You are one bro (y)

Nice work Steve! There are only a few people left who really know what they are doing on these cars. You are one bro (y)
Thanks Rick. The owner of this car Harry has been taking it to his cruise nights and getting a few kills here and there...LOL....this winter we are building a new motor with TA SI heads so he's def got the bug. 9 sec power on the street coming up.

Many thanks to the great friendships that I have made as a result of these cars.

Steve I really need to make time and come by your place and watch your magic on the Turbo Buicks. You are only like a county over from me so maybe a 30-45 minute drive from my house down 460. I also have a build down at RCG that they are helping me complete for Buick's GS Nationals this year.

Steve I really need to make time and come by your place and watch your magic on the Turbo Buicks. You are only like a county over from me so maybe a 30-45 minute drive from my house down 460. I also have a build down at RCG that they are helping me complete for Buick's GS Nationals this year.
Are you James Churchill on Facebook? Your car must be the area 51 project.

That's a serious build. Deep pockets Clint told me $35k budget.
More than that but who's counting other than my excel spreadsheet and a thinning wallet for the build. Lol. My dad use to always tell me that you got to pay to play! But hey man will have to give you a call and come by your place sometime in the near future. I still have your phone number.

I might need to let you play with my car one of these days. OneUgly6 had nothing but glowing things to say about his experience with you.

Steve is the man, when you take into consideration his consistent communication with you, lack of ego, integrity, attention to detail, pride in workmanship, respect for your property & overall enthusiasm he has towards your project... Well let's just say I live in Massachusetts and am glad I made the decision to have my car trailored 600+ miles to his shop for a frame off restoration and now mechanical..
Yes he has my car and it may sound like I'm kissing his ass but believe me when I tell you I work too long and hard to kiss anyone's ass, just telling it like it is.

Last edited:
Steve is the man, when you take into consideration his consistent communication with you, lack of ego, integrity, attention to detail, pride in workmanship, respect for your property & overall enthusiasm he has towards your project... Well let's just say I live in Massachusetts and am glad I made the decision to have my car trailored 600+ miles to his shop for a frame off restoration and now mechanical..
Yes he has my car and it may sound like I'm kissing his ass but believe me when I tell you I work too long and hard to kiss anyone's ass, just telling it like it is.
Thanks for the kind words from you and all who have posted in this thread.I enjoy keeping turbo buicks on the road and breathing new life into them. I have made some great friends because of these cars, lots of people I have and continued to learn from on a daily basis -some I have been able to teach as well.