4.1 swap question on a 81 ( california)If the block is the same on the exterior will they know? Alst

COOPER12

I have a stock 81 sport coupe. has a bad knock.
I was thinking of using a 4.1 in my rebuild and was wondering if anyone has tried that on the carbed cars.
my worry is California smog.

image001 copy.jpg
imagejpeg950954.jpg

It's been done and is being done right now by B4black. I'd remove the 4.1 casting off the block but it shouldn't give you any problems.;)

How could they even see any #s.

Do they really look that hard for block #s on a car of that age in the communist state of cali ???

How could they even see any #s.

Do they really look that hard for block #s on a car of that age in the communist state of cali ???

They actually do. Happened to a customer of mine with an older AMC. He basically did the same as the OP is asking about. Put a direct bolt in engine that had more displacement then what was ever offered in that car. Tech checked the casting that showed the displacement and failed.

Like Charlie posted, at a minimum grind off the displacement number.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Damn I'm glad I'm in the south where they have no inspections at all.

I did live in the communist commonwealth of Mass. and their inspections weren't as tough as cali's.

I feel for you guys, how do you put up with all the liberal BS ??

I'm in Texas and we don't have to put up with the BS, but since I'm a tech I have to keep up with the BS that other states and the feds decide to pull.;)