4.1 Stroker Build

ek02

I finally got the strength to get my block, crank, pistons, and rods to the machine shop after a long stretch of recovering from spine surgery. The machine shop has built quiet a few Buick V6's. All my photos were lost when the site crashed. I attached a few. There are still no roller cam blanks available, but I can always use my existing cam from the engine I am running now. This new short block is for "just in case". I'm not sure when I will be able to swap it out. My nuerosurgeon said it could take up to a year for the nerve pain to go away. Not sure I believe that.

Attachments

• IMG_3475 (1).jpg
    IMG_3475 (1).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3476 (1).jpg
    IMG_3476 (1).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3491 (1).jpg
    IMG_3491 (1).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3554 (1).jpg
    IMG_3554 (1).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 204
I called Comp today and they took my order for a custom austemper roller cam. Not sure if they have any cam blanks, but the salesman said they have come across a few now and then. It's bought and payed for, so maybe?

Block and parts are still at the machine shop. I haven't called them because I hurt my back again being stupid. I had a MRI yesterday and the L-4 disc is herniated again. I can still drive so I may call the machine shop and see what's up. I may be able to get it all back before any further surgery. It sure sucks to get old and not be able to do what I love.

I called the machine shop today and they said they were boring it today. If it's done before my surgery on Sept 13thI I can pick it up. Can't screw up my back any worse. This surgery will remove the herniated disc and replace it with an adjustable cage. Then two titanium rods are screwed into the spine to stabilize it. Long recovery after that. Hope this is the solution for good.

I called the machine shop today and they said they were boring it today. If it's done before my surgery on Sept 13thI I can pick it up. Can't screw up my back any worse. This surgery will remove the herniated disc and replace it with an adjustable cage. Then two titanium rods are screwed into the spine to stabilize it. Long recovery after that. Hope this is the solution for good.
Good luck, take care of yourself.

Cant go fast if you're not healthy.

I had the surgery on Sept. 13th. It went well and know I can walk with no pain. What a relief, but man is my back sore. I wont be doing any Speedo modeling with 3 long incisions in my back. They used surgical super glue to close them up. No word from the machine shop at all, but I am restricted to lift no more than 10 lbs. for 3 months, so no rush on the engine work. No driving for 4-6 weeks. Take care of your backs, guys.

nice to read that you're on the mend Ed and concerns of another surgery are behind you.

OK, I threw in the towel and brought main, rod, and cam bearings and a rear main seal to the machine shop today. I can't lift over 10 lbs, so I'll let the machine shop assemble the short block using the specs I always use. The block is bored and line honed already. I trust this machine shop. They have built a lot of Buick V 6's and the owner is doing the work himself.

Awesome! I just dropped my 4.1 stroker motor off at the machine shop last week!!!

291 4.1 block
10.5 pistons
Cat 3 625 crank
Scat rods
DLS ported gn1 heads
Scorpion 1.55 roller rockers
Pac 1201x springs
224/224 roller cam
Weiand 4 barrel intake

Not sure on the carb. But thinking of using a Holly EFI

I have a CQ 200-4r out of a Monte SS that I had built (lock up still). Choice between a 9.5in 3800 hard hit converter or going very basic to an old school red stripe 12in

Also bought a 7.5 posi 3.73 rear (looking for a regular Regal to put all of this in).

Should be a cool project once done!

Sounds like a nice build. I like the choice of intake. The Holly EFI sounds like a good choice. I thought about going EFI, but I have two gas tanks and a return is needed with the EFI. I have an electric switching valve that would need to be replaced for one with a return. I keep race gas in the rear tank when the nitrous is being used and 93 octane in the original Toyota tank.

Sounds like a nice build. I like the choice of intake. The Holly EFI sounds like a good choice. I thought about going EFI, but I have two gas tanks and a return is needed with the EFI. I have an electric switching valve that would need to be replaced for one with a return. I keep race gas in the rear tank when the nitrous is being used and 93 octane in the original Toyota tank.
I figured by the time I was able to narrow down the correct carb, id be just as well to get the tuneability of the Holley. All GN fuel ling can be used sothat part is easy.

The line hone and boring are done and the crank now turns freely. The latest snafu from the machine shop is that JE packaged the wrong oil rings. I told the machine shop to get a cheap set of 4" rings and just use the oil rings. The top and second JE rings have been file fit already to my specs. The TA rear groove cam bearings are also in. We'll see how long before it's assembled and ready to pick up. Still waiting on Comp to get cam blanks.

The short block is ready to go. I'll have to wait until I get back in town to pick it up. The invoice is really reasonable for all that machine work and assembly. The only charge I don't know yet is for balancing to 50%. Has to be a slug of heavy metal to get it right.

I picked up my short block today. It all came out perfect. Some photos of the finished product are attached. Balancing was expensive with two plugs of Mallory metal.

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 83
Take care of your backs, guys.
Glad to hear you're making progress on both fronts.

See if you can work your way up to a form of back extension with either an inversion table or dead hang from a pull up bar.