4.1 Build for 2020

Mr.Spool

The one thing I am not flexible on is upgrading the ECM. I do industrial instrumentation for my job and data is everything. I need more inputs. I need to control the tune. I know not doing it works for many people but it's just not my game.
you can do what you want but the the 5.7/6.1 will allow you to control all you need on an 11 sec car.if you really want to complicate things even more eric makes a speed density chip where you would have to tune everything.have at it,but understand 11s can be had with a simple chip which is the beauty of staying so mild,you can still play with it if you want to.i would suggest you look at the different options from eric/turbotweak.

rag231

Don’t knock the old school outdated recipes, you can still scoop up some “outdated” turbos and gates for cheap. I am still running a Precision turbo chip with some old 83lb injectors and a slew of Eastern Performance parts that will embarrass many cars with a laundry list of new “sparkling” gadgets on them. Doing more with less, and a ton of seat time. TE63, twin delta gates, ANS cast iron big valve heads, SX Performance fuel pump, original South Side Machine bars, ESP front mount and ESP cam, and a Turbonetics in car boost knob. It’s hard to have a $1500 budget. The simple electronics that guys are referring cost several hundred. Even tho you may run the Erson cam, some one may recommend to replace the tired springs. Simple porting on the heads and intake, an alky system, SLIC intercooler, all of the basic stuff is going to add up quick. 11.50’s or 450hp are very do able, keep us updated on the progress , my thoughts are that you will zip past 11.50’s and end up faster. The G Wagon is cool!

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Luckily when I re-ringed and bearinged the 4.1 in '17 I put new comp 980's in it so they should be good. The main reason I am worried about the flat tappet older erson cam is because I had a bad experience wiping a flat tappet cam on the drawthrough setup when I first put it together. I replaced the cam with a 204/214 and have ran zinc additive since and it's been OK, but it sits in my mind. Used low mile roller cams come up often for affordable prices with better lobe geometries but it means cracking into a longblock that runs strong. Probably don't need a roller for performance but is good peace of mind.

Ideally I would pull the top end off my drawthrough 3.8 setup since it has a set of hand ported heads by a guy who ran a set into the 10's but that means disassembling both the 3.8 and 4.1 which I'd rather not do. If the 4.1 heads DO come off they will get a moderate hand porting.

I'd love used a TA49/TA60 that doesn't need a rebuild in the $400 range but they don't seem to pop up that often and I've been keeping a look out for a few months.

Thanks for the comments. Gives me something to think about.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
980's will soften up after a handful of passes. I won't say the valve spring pressures I ran with my flat tappet cam, as it would send most screaming off into the night.

Ttype6

Probably don't need a roller for performance but is good peace of mind.
You can be worry free while using a flat tappet cam either hydraulic or mechanical lifters. Many people will tout higher viscosity oils and zddp. The only thing you need to be concerned about as it relates to oil is the film strength of the oil. The top most protective oils that I know of are relatively thin oils and don't have any zddp in them. Amsoil 0w 20 signature series oil is about as good as it gets. It's thin and it has no zddp in it but it's very expensive.
The oil I use is Quaker State ultimate durability 0w20 full synthetic. It has slightly less film strength than amsoil signature series 0w 20 but it is still extremely protective and only cost me a little over $18 for five quarts at Walmart. I have .0015" bearing clearance and 40 PSI of oil pressure using this oil. Even if I had .002" or more bearing clearance I would still use this oil because of its incredible strength. If I didn't like my oil pressure, I would use a high volume pump. FYI, the typical traditional break-in protocol for a flat tap at cam is also a myth. The only thing that matters is the strength of the oil/it's ability to keep one metal part from touching the other. There's no other quality in an oil that comes close to the importance of that quality.

VtheGNMan

4.1 block bored to 4"
Ross custom pistons @ 10.1 compression- running E85.
Scat Rods
Scat Crank
RJC Gridle
Ported heads and intake
206/206 roller cam
T&D Lifters.
All ARP studs etc.

liquidh8

Following, I liked the last wagon build. I also love my EBL-SFI-6, like you , I need data. The system is affordable and WELL capable.

In any case, good luck!

mikemcvaney

4.1 block bored to 4"
Ross custom pistons @ 10.1 compression- running E85.
Scat Rods
Scat Crank
RJC Gridle
Ported heads and intake
206/206 roller cam
T&D Lifters.
All ARP studs etc.
Sounds close to my 4.1. What's the center line on the cam?

earlbrown

runs with scissors
My first question is how far in the hole are the pistons you are using? Zero deck is your friend.

Those hypers are going to be a mile down in the hole. BTDT. And it made even worse since the 4.1 is 025" taller than a 109.
Back when I tried that, they were something like .120" below the deck. I ended up decking my block .035 and running .020 custom gaskets to barely get the compression up to 8.99. Got 1 day out of the first set of hypers before I cracked two of them.

Got another set, and got one day before I cracked one of them.

...and that's why my ''shelf/custom earlbrown'' forged pistons exist. With the huge slot of unsupported skirt under the oil ring, I will never consider running that style of piston ever again. Those things are pretty much designed to fail with any kind of piston rock.