3D Printing and my Grand National

Glad to see someone bringing 3D printing to our cars. This just opens up so many opportunities. There are different types and brands but the industrial printers can make some tough durable parts. The aerospace industry uses them a lot, every type of manufacturing and racing.
You honestly have to start thinking in totally new directions. Instead of can I make something? It becomes how to best make it.
I didn't know at this stage of my life I would end up working in Tech Support at Stratasys for both FDM and Polyjet. One builds with industrial polymers and the other with photo-resins. We have branches of the company which will take your design and print it in anything from wax to titanium.

Do you live here in MN? I work for Stratasys as well, developing new 3D printing technology and future innovation of our FDM industry.

Here is an update, I adjusted the rings fit and printed one in gray! also, just for fun, here is a large model we printed just to get your gears going! the ketchup bottle is just for reference. Check it out!

Attachments

• IMG_5610.JPG
    IMG_5610.JPG
    684.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_5585.JPG
    IMG_5585.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 386
Thought of another item that could use to be remanufactured using a high temp resistant plastic. Front bumper grill spacer, the one that fills the gap between the bottom of the grill and meets to the bumper. Typically these are all heat warped and have gaps along the front bumper where it is bowed out. No aftermarket options as far as I have ever run into. And find a mint one that isn't heat warped and it will eventually be.

Thought of another item that could use to be remanufactured using a high temp resistant plastic. Front bumper grill spacer, the one that fills the gap between the bottom of the grill and meets to the bumper. Typically these are all heat warped and have gaps along the front bumper where it is bowed out. No aftermarket options as far as I have ever run into. And find a mint one that isn't heat warped and it will eventually be.

That's a great one, thanks for sharing, I will add it to the list

You guys inspired me...finally removed all AC and heater lines. 3D printed heater core and AC delete plates.

OK, here's a challenge for you! How about the plastic fenderwells for our cars? Not available anywhere.

That model is used in the dental field, we scan the model, design and send the file to be milled or printed. Those machines are way out of budget of the typical lab. I think that's a great idea.

Very cool. I'm doing the same thing over in the TTA forum. I have reproduced the door panel trim ring and am selling color matched sets to TTA and Firebird owners.

Attachments

• 20150420_063255 (Small).jpg
    20150420_063255 (Small).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 217
Something for the XFI guys. How about a kick panel that has a recess molded in for the XFI with ventilation holes and slot for the wires. To go with it a snap on ventilated cover.