3800 SC'd ENGINE SWAP IN 94 CAMARO

R

ROBSLOMARO

I WANT TO SWAP A 3800 GTP ENGINE IN MY 3.4 CAMARO. HAS ANYONE PERFORMED THIS SWAP OR KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAS DONE THIS? THANKS,
SCOTT

I heard there isn't enough room under the hood for the blower.

A cowl or Ram Air hood should remedy that problem. The car I am using needs a new hood anyway.

Your going to be using the motor for a RWD drive app., so you need a bellhousing that will bolt to it, and a RWD tranny, not sure if they make them, if not Im sure one could be custom made.

That in itself is going to make the need for alot of plumbing just for air intake. Unless you set it up like an old style camaro with cowl induction. Or maybe almost the reverse of what the new LT1/LS1 intakes look like, any TPI motor for that matter, it would just get cold air form the cowl area instead of through the front grill/facsia, that would eliminate alot of plumbing needed and you would just need room for an air intake hose and a filter before the air reaches the TB. I think that would be a cool way to set it up, and I have heard the problem with all that plumbing for the intake be one of the major reasons why these motors arent used in RWD cars.

I looked at a friends GTP and measured the engines length and width. I may have to massage the firewall or replace the cooling fan with a thinner one. I have plenty of room width wise, about 3 inches per side. I am fairly sure I will need a raised hood of some sort, but was already planning to replace it. As far as trannys. I know I can use the 4L60E that comes in the 3.8 Camaros. That means I should be able to use a 700R4 as well. I'm almost sure they share the same bolt pattern. I may also be able to use a 2004R. As far as the intake plumbing, I haven't figured that out yet. The cowl are is out. The back half of the blower, TB and mass air will be under the cowl area near the firewall.

We use both the natural and the supercherged V6 in RWD in Australia coupled to a special Th700 (pre93) and 4L60e after that and also with manual T5.These boxes have different bellhousing to GM V8 trans, also our blown V6 uses different oil filter boss and different waterpump boss, and also has elbow between TB and blower. I am about to install a U.S. supercharged version in my normal V6 Holden Commodore ute (utility) similar to El Camino style. I would like to find out more about the internals of the SC V6. I will be programming the chip with Kalmaker software including engine and 4L60e. Check out www.kalmaker.com.au

Originally posted by 87regal
That in itself is going to make the need for alot of plumbing just for air intake. Unless you set it up like an old style camaro with I think that would be a cool way to set it up, and I have heard the problem with all that plumbing for the intake be one of the major reasons why these motors arent used in RWD cars. [/B]

There are many, production, vehicles that use these engines in RWD applications. Unfortunately, they are in Australia. Lookup HOlden commodore, etc. And you will see pics of how they did theirs......