3800 POWER kit pricing

If I were you guys and you wanted to do one of these on the cheap, chase down an L32. They come with a decent rod, kind of like the GEN4 LS rod. Ive used these rods in some big power builds. They you would only need a set of pistons and a good hone to spec.

If I were you guys and you wanted to do one of these on the cheap, chase down an L32. They come with a decent rod, kind of like the GEN4 LS rod. Ive used these rods in some big power builds. They you would only need a set of pistons and a good hone to spec.

I had a interesting conversation with john at Intense racing here in the states and he was very against using the l32 rods in anything over 600 at flywheel. He like them for 4-500. Anything over 6 he's using crower billet's. 1300$ thow . I want to build one motor for over 20 lb up blasts of boost. So I'm leaning towards the Chinese rods . The molnars would be the ticket if I had 5 other people but the wait is 2-3 months also. You have any sources for rods at a decent price?

Brian,

Do you know anything about the balance of the 3800 dampers or how they relate to a stock GN balancer? I was thinking about machining down the stock GN balancer on the crank engagement side to set it further back in and install a 36-1 trigger wheel on it since it seems to be a perfect fit on the crank other than the crank/seal piece on the LC2 balancer being too long to engage deep enough.

Since it will all need to be balanced anyway if it's close it would work.

Otherwise would you be interested in making one of your damper to pulley setups for me since I won't need anything else from the "kit"?

Thanks, Dan

If there were ten guys that wanted the adapter I'd do it but talking to my machinist he's not gong ho on just doing one. Or he's said it would be expensive and plus the harmonic balancer needs to be machined also. It all works together.

I had a interesting conversation with john at Intense racing here in the states and he was very against using the l32 rods in anything over 600 at flywheel. He like them for 4-500. Anything over 6 he's using crower billet's. 1300$ thow . I want to build one motor for over 20 lb up blasts of boost. So I'm leaning towards the Chinese rods . The molnars would be the ticket if I had 5 other people but the wait is 2-3 months also. You have any sources for rods at a decent price?
Ive used them at 550 wheel hp. No problem. Transbrake launches at 26lb. Smaller setup than our current one. Still went 10.0@138

Last edited:
Im using china spec h beams at close to 800whp. Good tuning keeps them alive. Matt Stattama has been 8.65@158 with the L32 rods.
Dont really have any better sources for rods than you guys do. Zzp, mace and PPM all sell the same china rod for $600 od dollars.

Last edited:
I have been watching this thread and was considering an l32 to replace the 3800 in my f-body Camaro. I'm still intent on turbo'g the Camaro, but the only company that makes a kit is cartune @ $5k-ouch!!! Dandaman you are an inspiration for any doubters of GBGN1's alternative power choice. I'd be in for the new rod's if it wasn't for rebuilding the stroker motor w/Mike Licht's new pistons.

The powder forged rods in the l32 are good to around 500hp or so. I'd run them since there in your l32 already. I ended up going with the Aussie " pure perf rods like " dandaman. Only cause I might push it past that.

Id say if someone had the cash and the will a series 2 block could go over 1k hp. They are stout. In the future we may give it a go.

Id say if someone had the cash and the will a series 2 block could go over 1k hp. They are stout. In the future we may give it a go.
Revive the thread.
I might try it, I'm looking to get a TTA and put a 3800 series II in it and break into the 170's - jk. I just talked to my engine builder today and he said he would be interested in building a 3800 powered GN. That would mean I would need to pull my LC2 and 200 out and bring them in my house house, so I can put the 3800 in with whatever trans I works.

Might be a good idea to find a roller GN or regal so you dont have to go through the work of pulling it apart.

Might be a good idea to find a roller GN or regal so you dont have to go through the work of pulling it apart.

It would be a great idea, but I have such limited space with a one car garage. Although, I could find a roller in okay condition body wise and functional else where and buy a cover for it and park it in front of my garage. I'd have to find the right person to buy a roller from though, some of the uninformed think just because it's a GN running or not and in shitty shape that it's worth 10 grand. That's no joke, my father in law seen a GN for sale back in 2005 and I went to look at it and it was in horrible shape. Holes in the seats, liner sagging, dents and rust, paint was gone to hell, turbo was shot, exhaust was shot and who knows what else was wrong with it. The guy wanted 10.5 for it and justified it by saying this a classic car you won't find a decent one for under 30 to 35k. LOL. He held on to it firm in his belief it was worth it, then in 2010 he sold it to pay his bills. I think he got $1500 for it. I digress.

This will be a 2 year project for me. My engine builder is very busy, so he'll be taking his time. The block is already machined and the main caps are installed with ARP studs. He has all the of the engine parts, minus the heads. The crank has to be checked and I may try and find one out of an NA 3800. I have the NA heads, which I'm going to have port and polished, etc. So it will be a while.

I wish would've know about the 3800 s2/3 back in 2013 when I decided I needed a rebuild. The block that came out of it was ruined and I haad to buy another 109 for a rebuild. Anyway, we'll see.

This is my craigslist list im selling right now. I had a machining issue with my first engine(piston to cylinder clearance). so I had a second motor built. And changed my 3800 car in a few different ways. So I havent updated my thraed.

L32 Ported and polished, Bronze guides, Intense racing Stainless valves, Comp 125 bee hive springs,Manley keepers and retainers. Nice heads $950 Fresh real nice heads
only few hundred miles on them. Was on my spare engine

*Spool connecting rods * all the way from Australia perfect no issues. Was in my spare engine stock l67 length 4340 h beam. These are just like a Molnar Rod with arp 2000 bolts very nice. Ready to go $400 good for 1000hp

*Very nice stock crank* magged/ polished .ran for 50 miles.
Standard crank never cut . Very Low mileage Ready to go $ 250 out of 20,000 mile motor. very nice

*Stock crank* needs just a polish. $125 standard never cut.

*Ls7 * lifters maybe 150 miles on them $70

* Intense stage 2 billet turbo cam used, Has two wear marks from a lifter, way I got it worked great no noise $135

*clevite main and connecting rod bearings new .0010 over $70 for all