3800 POWER kit pricing

slimtastic

yea dude...I rock
in conjunction with BRIANS thread http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/whos-ready-for-some-3800-power.416634/ we have tried to setup a basic pricing scheme for all the items in a basic kit that would make the 3800 series platform an effective "drop in" modification as opposed to all the fabrication associated with a swap like this.

now, im sure the first thing out of a lot of peoples mouths will be "hey why not just throw a ls1 at it, same rough price?" the answer in a nutshell, is that your leaving a basic idea that made the turbo buicks SCARY, and that is nobody really knows what your packing when you snap the hood lever. Your v6 already makes you the underdog at the track and on the street but the fact that its out of your moms park avenue and sports a turbo will put your buick right back where it was always suppose to be as the WILD CARD.

the series 2 and series 3 buick v6 (with a little turbo action) has the tech and good basic airflow capability to slap around todays lsx/Coyote crowd that seem soo prevalent at the drag strip. keeping with the basic nature of the turbo buick seems quite possible.

now that im done "soapboxing" lol, this Is our basic pricing scheme for the hardparts on the basic engine swap kit

ALL THOUGHTS QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS WELCOMED. we are hoping that with enough interest, a possible production run might be plausable

front end accessorys to modify sll for grand national engine config
-intake manifold/modified
-billet water pump spacer
-ider pulley spacer/bracket(custom)
-crank spacer/custom
-northstar throttle body spacer/custom

objective price 600$

custom headers and turbo bracket
-dr side header
-pass side header
-crossover
-new J bracket
-accessory clamps/ect.
-wastegate

objective price 2500-3500$
custom downpipe/o2/wastegate merge
-single downpipe without v-band connection
-o2 hookup
-merge for wastegate hookup

objective price 500$

notes
-external wastegate only/no internal gate setups
-3 bolt turbos only for inital runs/ cheaper swap costs by keeping with a customers 3 bolt turbo
-fueling is to customers discretion
-turbo drain pipe and bulkhead to oil pan to customers discretion
-intercooling and intake tubing to customers discretion
-tune and calibration to cust discretion
-tranny type and cal to cust discretion

Last edited:
brian buick.jpg

What about motor mounts? Also what is needed to tune this? What are we looking at for ECM options? Any dyno numbers with this set-up? Recommend a tranny? And thanks for making this a thing :sleep:

What about motor mounts? Also what is needed to tune this? What are we looking at for ECM options? Any dyno numbers with this set-up? Recommend a tranny? And thanks for making this a thing :sleep:
Raf the stock 109 block mounts fit to the series 2/3 (minus a light ammount of grinding on one of the mounts), the stockers will drop right in.

the tune is basically using a stock gm computer that is adjusted through HP tuners/ ill have brian chime in with exactly what works.

I know a 4l60 will bolt up and the 5 speed from a 6 cyl Camaro will as well, I believe certain years of 4l80 will... id recommend a 4l60 for majority of applications

breaking 500 rwhp is possible for the series 2/3 on just pump gas (no alky) but the bottom end pistons and rods will need to be addressed. the heads and valvetrain all resemble a stage2 in basic design and technology. the crank and block are solid and will live through damn near anything under 900 hp

Last edited:

Look on my 3800 thread in the gen tech area for info and you can look up 3800 Gn thread for some great Info too.

Will the factory 200 trans bolt up to this block?
I make transmission adapters that allow the use of 2004R, 700R4, 4L80E, TH400, TH350. The bolt on bell 4L60s with 3800 bell will bolt are direct fit.

I would be interested in headers 1-5/8 primary's with no turbo flange or cross over. PM if you can do something. I have merge collector, header flanges and a bunch of stainless 1-5/8 J-45 bends for materials if it helps.

ls1 lq9 are so cheap now ! hate to say this but its true! I own 1 ls2 tbss 2 tahoes 5.3 2 ls1 Camaros ... cam an nitrous had the Camaro deep 10's a crate lq9 and a 04 escalade with a lq9 with 120k miles

that's 7 lsx based motors highest mile is almost 200k the 10 sec Camaro has close to 150k miles

and have 5 lc2's

Last edited:
ls1 lq9 are so cheap now ! hate to say this but its true! I own 1 ls2 tbss 2 tahoes 5.3 2 ls1 Camaros ... cam an nitrous had the Camaro deep 10's a crate lq9 and a 04 escalade with a lq9 with 120k miles

that's 7 lsx based motors highest mile is almost 200k the 10 sec Camaro has close to 150k miles

and have 5 lc2's
I've found that the problem with most ls1 ls2 lsX used engines for sale are that they have been beat up from spray/ect and usually require machine work just to get them back to square, the cost is usually twice of what it would cost to get a used series 2/3 With the same basic machine work. Now while lsX engines fine for the Tahoe's and Camaro's and even buicks if one is so inclined, but having a v6 with a turbo is a large reason why many people bought grand nationals/turbo regals to begin with.

It's like having your cake and eating it too...
-Cheap as dirt to buy/build
-Potential for BIG HP
- Still a Buick v6

and have 5 lc2's

This thread is about getting support for 3800. I think everyone here knows that ls based engines are reasonably priced and most own a Chevy truck so most people have them also including myself. But that's not the point. Some people here want to keep there Buick a Buick .
3800 a damn good platform. With good support. And will hold lots of power. With the right parts it's great alternative to a ls style motor.
Everyone's done a ls style motor . This is just being different.

Last edited:
We take on 99% of the LS based stuff here and win with the little 3800. Ok the LS stuff is cheap but soooo boring. Every second car has one.

You should share some of your thoughts of your goal of 165-170mph in the quarter! Totally awsome. I just cann't believe that power your making!!