3800 FWD to RWD?

You convert it by getting getting a RWD 3800 from a Camaro or Firebird. The FWD has the intake turned around and the wrong transmission bolt pattern.

I was looking for a rwd 3800, but its hard to find one... plus you don`t see too-many 3800 cameros/firebirds and if you find one for sale, it won`t be cheap. anyway... that`s why I asked.

I can find a rusty bomb Camaro around here for about 1500$ or less off Craigs list. You'ld get very thing you need off it if you got the whole car.

Just did a quick CL search local to me and found 7 mid 90's Camaros for all under 2k. Some were 1k.

the fwd & rwd sries 2 & 3 use the same block so a fwd long block can be used.

Like pronto said fwd you have intake concerns - these car be overcome many ways, sc's can be cut and have a 90* intake welded on them ( Dave at triple edges cutlass) firewalls can be cut and boxed for clearance( rock crawler pictured below) , rwd L67 intakes from australian Holdens can be used...this pic is in a fwd my friend Andrew owns but you can see it would work well in rwd application

holdenintake.jpg

several trannys can be adapted to work behind the series 2&3 3800. any trans that was behind a 2.8 will work ( why you see so many 3800 stick fiero conversions) , I have seen a t350( dave at triple edge performance 87 cutlass)Custom Swaps

and a 2004r used on a GN ( assisted by dave at triple edge)http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/257876-series-ii-l67-grand-national.html

I have been helping a local guy (Geoff) tune his L67 powered rock crawler ( 3800sc) that has a 7004r in it.

Photo0193.jpg

a Datsun truck with a 3800 just cracked 7's and I want to say it had a glide in it.

YouTube - rigoli ute running 7's

a friend of mine is about to begin on a L67 in an s10 pickup with a camaro 5 speed from a 3800 car and plans on cutting the firewall for intake/airbox

what are you trying to do ? that will help with giving you the best suggestions for your intended application

Cool:biggrin: I seen that thread before, but I couldn't find it. I have a 350 trans in mine.The reason I ask is, I blew the motor in my 78 Regal and was looking for a quick fix that would be good on gas. The 3800s are cheap, good on gas, reliable and you can still have a turbo or supercharger on it. I thought about getting a beat up Regal down the road from me for $500 and it runs:eek: The other idea was a 350 TPI or a 4.3 Vortc... but idk if it will work with my trans and most of the ones I find a sticks:(

any of the sbc or BOP bolt pattern trannys like your th 350 will require an adaptor plate

that would be a cool swap:cool: and once your done with it replacement engines are cheap & plentiful if you boost it hard ;)

It would be cool to have a 70`s car with 90`s+ technology. I sent Dave at tripleedgeperformance.com about an adapter, will see what he has to say:biggrin:

There you go. Swap and part out the rest.:wink:

that should do you for the drivetrain but the pcm and harness you will want 97 or newer for the obd2 tunability.

you can also do a "top swap" on the normally aspirated engine by swapping heads and up to superchaged items

What about the exhaust headers from my GN engine... will they bolt on? I bet I could make them fit and turbo it:biggrin:

no they wont bolt on , not sure but i believe they arent close as far as ports and fasteners

The GN motor has off center ports, the 3800 is on center meaning they are evenly spaced. I am pretty sure the GN headers won't fit. But like was mentioned easy enough fix.

I think if I had it to do all over again I would find a GN and plop a 3800 turbo in it. Good luck!

Hey guys, I came across this post while looking for info on doing a conversion. I have a 83 GMC Caballero, it had a 305 with a cracked block. I acquired parts from a friend of mine when he restored his 85 GN, an entire front clip which I plan to trade with the front of the GMC. I want to make a Buick El Camino, so I have decided do an engine swap and make it all Buick. I'm thinking a Supercharged 3.8 from a totaled 96 Riv. which I can pick up for $500, I would like to go with a manual trans just for the fun of driving one. I would love to use a 6 speed out of a Camaro/Firebird, but would go with a 5 speed if need be. I know FlintBuick4life was doing a similar swap, I would love to get the info on what you have learned/used. Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, I came across this post while looking for info on doing a conversion. I have a 83 GMC Caballero, it had a 305 with a cracked block. I acquired parts from a friend of mine when he restored his 85 GN, an entire front clip which I plan to trade with the front of the GMC. I want to make a Buick El Camino, so I have decided do an engine swap and make it all Buick. I'm thinking a Supercharged 3.8 from a totaled 96 Riv. which I can pick up for $500, I would like to go with a manual trans just for the fun of driving one. I would love to use a 6 speed out of a Camaro/Firebird, but would go with a 5 speed if need be. I know FlintBuick4life was doing a similar swap, I would love to get the info on what you have learned/used. Thanks for the help.

From what I hear... a '93-'02 v6 firebird/camero trans willwork on a FWD 3.8, there is a converter bracket to use other transmissions... here is the link below. Its in expensive... you could get a firebird/camero trans for the price.

3800 V6 trans adapter

You can use a trans from an S-10 pick up that had the 2.8 in it. They have the same narrow bellhousing.
Been thinking about doing a 3800 rear wheel drive swap as well.

Here's a link to my cardomain page. I put an L67 into an 87 Shelby Charger and also did a rear drive conversion. Yes, you need to do a little surgery on the blower casing and make an elbow to mount the throttle body to. Wasn't really that hard. I guess the toughest part for most people will actually the motor mounts. I used the mounts for a Camaro/Firebird 3800, but they are very far apart. I can't remember the distance between them but the cradle will need some massaging whatever car you decide to put it in. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3330131

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,486
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,173
For what its worth, the transmissions in jeeps work too. My buddy just put a sc 3800 in his rock crawler. The trans behind the 4.0 bolted right up. I guess jeep uses the old chev 2.8 pattern since jeeps had gm stuff in them for awhile. The backwards facing tb worked out for him because he brought the air filter into the pass compartment.