.357 Mag opinions wanted

theCATman

Is that a Monte Carlo?
Let me start off by saying that I don't want this to turn into a brand bashing squabbling contest.

I've been shopping around for a .357 Mag & am gonna buy one as a Christmas present to myself. Unless a "deal of the century" comes along on a S&W or Colt, my budget has led me to a Taurus. I already have a Taurus Judge & a Taurus Millenium .45 ACP and really like them. So, to me, Taurus guns are A-OK. I know some hate 'em, some love 'em.

Question is.... I have narrowed it down to either the Model 66 or the Tracker. Both in stainless & 4" barrel. Anyone have any experience with either??

Thanks.

Have no experience with the Taurus revolvers but they seem like very nice firearms. I just recently got a S&W 627 (full size frame .357) and spent a little more than I wanted but god do I love it! Also shot the Ruger GP and that was a very nice gun as well. That was 2nd on my list and still may get one in time. My advice is to shop around and try em out if ya can but at the end of the day its what feels right. I wasnt planning on getting a large frame gun but Im a big guy and when I picked up the 627 it was perfect. Couldnt be happier. Good luck!

-Rich

I've got a .357 lever rifle and I load hot for it so for me a pistol to match has to be able to use the P++ rated ammo. If I could chamber the rifle for .357 maximum and get a pistol chambered the same then tha would be perfect as a dual hunting rig that's lightweight with enough power to take down most north American game with out issue.;) I do prefer Ruger but I don't see an issue with the Taurus pistols.

I've shot the Tracker with the longer 6.5" ported barrel and I liked it. My hands are not big and the Tracker has a smaller grip overall than my S&W model 586. The action is not as smooth as the S&W (especially double-action), but the finish is nice, and (at least in the 6.5" length barrel..) .357 rounds are more comfortable to control for me due to the smaller grip and the sheer heft of the thing. The Tracker goes for about $500 new in my area, or about the same price as a good used S&W L framed 686, 586. If you have your heart set on new it is a great value IMO.

There are a few guys at the range that use the longer barrel version as a backup when hunting as the finish seems very resistant to the elements so you don't feel as bad if it gets wet in a rainstorm, etc.. as you might on a non-stainless finish, or a more expensive option like the S&W or Colt Python. A lot of guys also seem happy with the Ruger Blackhawk .357 revolver which is a bit more money, single action but heavy enough even in the 4.6 inch barrel to handle heavy loads well. I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for..

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 66 or Tracker at the price they are offered new. Good luck.

Thanks for the replys.

As you said MaxVO2, the Tracker is about $500 and I too looked at a used 686 S&W, and the guy was asking $525. The big thing I disliked about the Smith was the wooden grips. I cannot stand wooden grips on a pistol, and especially on something that will have a fair amount of kick.

A Model 66 is a solid $100 cheaper, and I worry there is a reason why. They look very similar, but there's some reason the price is so drastically different.

It's legal to use .357 & .44 Mag pistols for hunting here in WI, but the barrel has to be a minimum of 6" I have no intention of hunting with it, so that's why I prefer a 4" Plus the 4" will fit on my car & truck console much nicer:) And, I already carry the .45 with me bowhunting anyhow.

just picked up the Ruger gp 100 wiley clapp edition good looking gun. Heavy, but good on recoil. Its also a little expensive. But its a Christmas present right. Only comes once a year...lol. I really love the look and the feel of the gun

Post a pic. I used to own a nice Ruger Blackhawk that I had to sell when times got tough. I'm in better shape now financially and the GP100 was one of the guns I was looking at precisely because it is heavy and presumably good on recoil. X-mas does only come once a year but you can always buy in advance of next x-mas ! :)

Billy

MaxVO2 said:
Post a pic. I used to own a nice Ruger Blackhawk that I had to sell when times got tough. I'm in better shape now financially and the GP100 was one of the guns I was looking at precisely because it is heavy and presumably good on recoil. X-mas does only come once a year but you can always buy in advance of next x-mas ! :)

Billy

Picture the day I bought it.

2012-10-05 16.48.24.jpg

Internet pics

DSC00640-1.jpeg

Gunblast.com has a good write up on them

Thumbnail-3.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC00640.jpeg
    DSC00640.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 88
I like that grip a lot. It looks traditional enough on the sides with a more modern, higher grip surface on the back. My 586 still has the original wood grips but even at 40+oz for the 6 inch barrel version it still kicks with heavier loads, and on a hot day it just feels slippery to me. It's got me thinking to swap out that wood grip with something more modern and ergonomic. Hopefully something like the Ruger grip pictured above is available to fit my not so big hands.

I have a smaller home defense 9mm semiauto hopefully coming in tomorrow that I would like to set up with a Crimson Trace laser and light as soon as I put some rounds through it at the range to get used to it.

Anyone have any opinions on red versus green laser sights and lights for home defense use? No way I feel comfortable carrying a flashlight separate from the gun, with any semblance of control if I had to use both..

Yes, yes.. a 12 gauge with birdshot would perhaps make things easier in terms of shot placement... I'm just not that good at patching drywall.. :D

MaxVO2 said:
I like that grip a lot. It looks traditional enough on the sides with a more modern, higher grip surface on the back. My 586 still has the original wood grips but even at 40+oz for the 6 inch barrel version it still kicks with heavier loads, and on a hot day it just feels slippery to me. It's got me thinking to swap out that wood grip with something more modern and ergonomic. Hopefully something like the Ruger grip pictured above is available to fit my not so big hands.

I have a smaller home defense 9mm semiauto hopefully coming in tomorrow that I would like to set up with a Crimson Trace laser and light as soon as I put some rounds through it at the range to get used to it.

Anyone have any opinions on red versus green laser sights and lights for home defense use? No way I feel comfortable carrying a flashlight separate from the gun, with any semblance of control if I had to use both..

Yes, yes.. a 12 gauge with birdshot would perhaps make things easier in terms of shot placement... I'm just not that good at patching drywall.. :D

Be prepared to wait a while.... took almost 3 months to mine....

A ruger GP100 is a great gun and as strong as they come, there are also very good deals out there on used security six rugers. I just sold one of each recently to fund a S&W 627 PC that I fell in love with
Mike

Haven't shot it in the 357 but in what calibers I have shot the tracker I like it a lot! I can't wait for the new 22lr 22m combo to become more widely availble!

I almost bought a S&W 686-plus recently, & still might... But I think a Springfield XD-s is next on my list!

K.

I really love my 357 S&W SS combat with the 4" barrel and PacMar grips. Very consistent and accurate, had it since 1994. I load it with 38 hydro-shocks for home defense and my 16 year old daughter is very good with it in those loads. Never had an issue with it, ever.

Mikey

Not for anything but hands down the ruger GP100 is my favorite and is my carry piece when running the parks, hiking or any out doors. My wife and I both carry one. They are tougher than nails, shoot excellent and accurate. The underlug barrel makes them wonderful to shoot even magnum loads. I have had one for the last 2 decades and nothing in my book has so far come close to them.

Excellent choice, the Ruger GP 100 is the strongest most reliable double action .357 magnum you can buy.

I have a ruger gp100 and smith&wesson 686 both great guns and if you order the spring kit from wolff gun springs makes an amazing trigger with very little work. Just my 2cents.