350 Chev. starter?

BuickGN29

My starter recently went out on my stock 231 in my '87 GN.

Can I use a Chevrolet small block starter(350) in place of my stock starter?

The answer is a qualified "Yes", a 350 Chevy starter will work. Do a search (Chevy Starter) in General Turbo Buick Tech, tons of info there on the specific ones that work best. I've been using the LT4 Corvette starter for years with no problems. It's lightweight, gear reduction for good torque and lacks a nose cone that could break if the engine backfires.

HTH - Jimmy

The answer is a qualified "Yes", a 350 Chevy starter will work. Do a search (Chevy Starter) in General Turbo Buick Tech, tons of info there on the specific ones that work best. I've been using the LT4 Corvette starter for years with no problems. It's lightweight, gear reduction for good torque and lacks a nose cone that could break if the engine backfires.

HTH - Jimmy

X2 The one I got from a j-yard was a 96 corvette 65 shipped ups and worth it
becarefull some have been replaced by camaro lt1 starters and are not gear reduction specify to the person you get it from to make sure it does not have a nose cone. The starter you need looks like a japanese car starter

^Thank you. Got it done today. Went w/ a Kragens 231 Turbo Regal replacement - lifetime warranty. $61.74

Used two shims.

Stock exhaust & tranny lines were a beotch. ;)

any starter for a small block with the small flexplate/flywheel will work.
i personally have the Vette LT4 starter, but only because i had it laying around.