3.8 Stock bottom end 500 hp????

Doc037

I finally found a 3.8 that's still running with the original turbo. My goal is to make 500 hp or around that range. What mods are needed and can I use my stock bottom in? I don't mind buying a bigger turbo and injectors etc. Just leave me a proven combination and I'll do the rest. HELP HELP HELP THANKS!!

I finally found a 3.8 that's still running with the original turbo. My goal is to make 500 hp or around that range. What mods are needed and can I use my stock bottom in? I don't mind buying a bigger turbo and injectors etc. Just leave me a proven combination and I'll do the rest. HELP HELP HELP THANKS!!
Pay now or pay later. Best thing is to go ahead and buy a steel crank & the steel caps for the start. The two center ones. If it were me I would go ahead and get rods and pistons. And be done with it. And above all someone that who knows what they are doing.

Do you have e85 available? If so I would use it. Stock bottom end should last at 500, like Grumpy said it's all in the tune.

Very basics and minimums, but a lot more go's into this:
58 mm turbo (ta49 te44, 5858) "with the stock converter"
60# injectors
over build the fuel system
alky or octane a must
more boost then 20, professional tune, and pray every time you go Wot.

Very basics and minimums, but a lot more go's into this:
58 mm turbo (ta49 te44, 5858) "with the stock converter"
60# injectors
over build the fuel system
alky or octane a must
more boost then 20, professional tune, and pray every time you go Wot.

If you're incredibly methodical, then praying isn't required. It's easier than most think.

If you're incredibly methodical, then praying isn't required. It's easier than most think.
Well i looked at his age, join date and post count, some praying is in order lol, some of the new jacks don't stick around long and give up on our cars quickly.
no offence to the op.

Well i looked at his age, join date and post count, some praying is in order lol, some of the new jacks don't stick around long and give up on our cars quickly.
no offence to the op.

You're correct. Most think these are the same as NA cars. I came from the NA world, and it was a learning curve for me. I listened to Dirty Harry. 'A man's got to know his limitations.' :)

A sage Buick guy, [ Jim Ruggles], did my 1st stock block engine.
I had big aspirations for 5-600 FW.
His comment was "np, for a while. Then, you'll pull the webs out of the block. If you are lucky, won't join the DOTC club".
When I asked about other enhancements, he said "that'll just delay the inevitable".
This was many yrs ago. Better parts, better engine control systems, will help with the MTBF.

The FNG better make friends with a good tuner!

With my setup I Dyno'd 389hp and 421 torque at the wheels with the chip from Eric 79lb fuel injectors,Precision 6152E Turbo, E85 fuel, Walboro electric fuel pump, Running 19lbs Boost, No head work yet, or bottom end work done. However people say start with the fuel first. I probably could of hit better numbers, but the Turbo I was running was smoking and had a bad bearing. I don't know if you seen my post for sale, but I sent the Turbo off to Precision to be professional rebuilt, and just got it back and it's for sale and should perform like new with even MORE power, if interested I can also send the paper work with it for there warranty. Since the rebuild...still in the box...has not been on a car. I also have a Brand New wastegate actuator for sale with it, if you can't find the Turbo you can text or call me @ 720-771-3089, for pictures and more details

If you start with an uncompromised bottom end, it will hold up for years at 500 crank hp, if the tune is right. I know of one car well over 400 WHP, that has been beat for 15 years straight. The intake still hasn't been off the car.

If you start with an uncompromised bottom end, it will hold up for years at 500 crank hp, if the tune is right. I know of one car well over 400 WHP, that has been beat for 15 years straight. The intake still hasn't been off the car.
Gosh Jerry , wish I had you around some of my 3.8’s as I could blow them apart as look at them. Guess you are good luck. Lol

I would say that if the motor is checked out, and all seems good, has good oil pressure, maybe some new bearings thrown in, or some other basic freshening, then just get what you could out of it. Make as much horsepower as you can.

There is a learning curve associated with 500 HP. And most of the same mistakes that blow up a stock motor will also blow up a built motor. So, begin the build with the supporting modifications needed to make this type of power. Meaning......get the fuel system, the tyrany, the suspension, the tune/engine management, the turbo, the downpipe and exhaust, intercooler, alky injection......whatever. And keep going until you learn how to tune or blow it up. Whatever comes first. Avoid spending any time or money with internal engine mods, heads or cam. Make the assumption that the day will come when it will give in to the abuse. And be prepared for that by knowing that when the time comes, you will already have most everything you need and now you can have a tough bad-ass block built as a whole package. Chances are, you may never actually split the block or snap the crank out the bottom of the oil pan. You are more likely to blow head gaskets and bang up the bearings. So why start with a built block?

When it breaks......spare no expense. Then drop it in and go.

Maybe that will work for ya.