3.8 stock block rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car expects to live mostly on the street but can handle a 9 sec quarter if turned up. Converting to E85 after break-in. Plan on turning the car down to high 10's for the street. I need to upgrade the turbo, injectors, fuel pumps, and more to get to E85.
Now you want 1000hp?
With a goal to run high10s on the mainly street car?

I want the engine to hold 1000 hp. What parts do I need?

Think I may need the transmission to hold it too! What you guys think about

This a good convertor choice?

My current built trans and 9/11 convertor is getting over powered by my current combo. More I turn it up the more it slips and won't shift below 6K rpm.
I would advise you to stay away from 1000hp regardless if it's a 109 or stage block.
At that power level
The car must be setup properly and requires alot of money and knowledge
The skill of the driver and the environment it's in should require a build.
You were talking 10s with a hail mary pass into the 9s and wanted mainly a strip car.
You dont need 1000hp for that.
Nor a stage block

Mr.Spool, you know the Superman cape you wear doesn't always fit other heroes on the team right? LOL

If you want to make 1k, take your time, find quality experienced builders etc and make sure you have $30k minimum laying in a duffle bag in your closet. Then you'll need to find the other closet with the other bag later on. Hahaha

IMO, the TA block would be a good start if you're starting the long journey of eventually being a 1k car on this platform. I'm sure there's nothing but regret seeing a 7th cylinder hole in your big $ 109 engine. I capped my 109 hp limit too if curious. I realized I like driving the car more than working on it dead in my garage.
I understand 1000hp on a stock block is not for everyone but........
Alot has changed in the tuning world and other areas.
There are other kryptonians out there😉
I'm not the only one that has made that kinda power on a 109.

As far as transmissions go and if you want to run a 200-4R behind a high HP motor , Dave Husek is the way to go . I know Mr Spool has & is using Daves trans for years and is not easy on it , but I'm sure he will chime in .
Yup it's been in there for awile
I wanted it out so he could look at it
I like to stay ahead of things😉
But....
Dave said nope keep hammering it.
Its seen alot of race time and drive time.

Hi Chad,

Good to see you back on the board again! :cool: I'd wondered from time to time what happened to you, I'm glad you're dusting off your Buick and trying to get it back on the road again.

Neal

If I can afford it and want it I can do what I want. I've been racing since 15. I'm not a noob on what is needed to go fast. I'm 51 years old now. Newly divorced. I'm wanting to get the car now how I want.
I refuse to replace the 3.8 Turbo Buick Engine and destroy the car with the most important part.
There is massive pride on still owning a true Buick Turbo fast car.

I know what to do. I'm just looking for people still able to help build what I need done once. Build more than I need buying once instead of breaking when I turn it up and cost me a lot more. I don't know who is building well these days anymore. Many have retired, died, or gave it up.
I can get the engine rebuilt local but they won't know how to put in a roller cam that doesn't sound like a tin can, know how to blue print the oil pump, know how to put in a 4.1 stroker kit full forget, how to put in steel main caps or add a girldle without eating bearings or get oil leaks or how to open oil ports in the block. Or how to balance and blue print the entire engine. You get what I mean. If you don't do that you can't turn the boost up to 35+ and expect to live.

Last edited:
I would advise you to stay away from 1000hp regardless if it's a 109 or stage block.
At that power level
The car must be setup properly and requires alot of money and knowledge
The skill of the driver and the environment it's in should require a build.
You were talking 10s with a hail mary pass into the 9s and wanted mainly a strip car.
You dont need 1000hp for that.
Nor a stage block
Yup exactly, i have a good friends car runs 9.90s with just 590rwhp with a 109 and its not that light. so a 1000hp is not needed nor would i shoot for it.

Yup exactly, i have a good friends car runs 9.90s with just 590rwhp with a 109 and its not that light. so a 1000hp is not needed nor would i shoot for it.
To my knowledge it takes a minimum of 680 to the back tire with a 1.55 launch with a TR weighing 3500 with the driver to crack the 9's.

I watched Cal Hartline dyno a car that made 525 to the wheels. I know that car ran 9.9s and better. Not sure how much it weighed but it was not a fly weight. I'm not saying that "everyone" making 525 at wheels will run 9s but I know it can be down.

I watched Cal Hartline dyno a car that made 525 to the wheels. I know that car ran 9.9s and better. Not sure how much it weighed but it was not a fly weight. I'm not saying that "everyone" making 525 at wheels will run 9s but I know it can be down.
It took two of the very best all in to crack the 9's on a TR weighing 3500 with them in it to pull it off at 680 to the back tire.

I know what to do. I'm just looking for people still able to help build what I need done once. Build more than I need buying once instead of breaking when I turn it up and cost me a lot more. I don't know who is building well these days anymore. Many have retired, died, or gave it up.
I can get the engine rebuilt local but they won't know how to put in a roller cam that doesn't sound like a tin can, know how to blue print the oil pump, know how to put in a 4.1 stroker kit full forget, how to put in steel main caps or add a girldle without eating bearings or get oil leaks or how to open oil ports in the block. Or how to balance and blue print the entire engine. You get what I mean. If you don't do that you can't turn the boost up to 35+ and expect to live.
Read post 22.
You said you wanted a high 10 street car.
With ability to run a 9 sec pass.
Then you want 1000hp.
Correct or not?
My point these goals are 3 very different things.

You guys
We dont race dynos
I have seen massive hp swings on dynos
1 mans 590rwhp car can go 9s
Another mans 680rwhp car goes 9s.

I'm not a noob on what is needed to go fast. I'm 5
Unless you have been faster and are keeping it under the hat
From what you said you have an 11 sec car.
So NO you dont know what you need to go fast.
Your posts have turned into preaching what you need now and you havent answered any questions.
Your goals have moved all over the map in a few posts faster than a 9 sec car😎
Here is the cheatsheat for ya
Lots of things have changed in this game and really fast.
If you want a 1000hp tire fryer you could do that with 400hp and a regular set of radials=a tire fryer is a tire fryer.
If you want a 10 sec street car that actually runs 10s on a real street
That's needs a much different approach.
If you want a 9 sec track car different approach
If you want a 1000hp that actually works on the track and street way different approach and you would need a hell of a car not just a good motor.

To my knowledge it takes a minimum of 680 to the back tire with a 1.55 launch with a TR weighing 3500 with the driver to crack the 9's.
If i recall correctly His car is 3500 with driver, i dont remember the 60 but it was better then 1.5's, cage, dual alky c16, 6466, ptc 17 blade most suspension goodies and definitely just shy of 600rwhp i do remember the dyno sheet.

At 35psi there is no need to spray alky if you are running E85 , my car has been higher than that . You just have to make sure your complete fuel system is up to snuff .
Good deal. Stock style GM headgaskets or another brand?

Hi Chad, I remember buying a dutt neck intercooler from you back before the board crashed in the late 90s.
If you have the coin, then a TA block would be awesome, I would do the TA setup in a heart beat. Build what you want, and over build if you want. Obviously, people skipped over the fact that you said you want a solid 9-second capable motor. If you go E85, I would skip the denatured alcohol unless you are looking to experiment.
I would skip any thought of a lock up converter, PTC 9" NLU all the way with a Husek built 2004R. Turbo Bob may be working on a 4L80e solution, but otherwise I would not do anything else than I recommended. I had Bison spec my PTC converter, it is perfect!
Let us know what you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.