275/60/15 Mickey T on a stock wheel?

Amelio

Hey fellas.......I have always run my drag radials on the wheels I have on the car which are a set of 8 1/2" convo pros. I have recently had some bad luck with drag radials on street cars with my Vette and GN picking up trash and ruining the tire.

With that said I am done running a drag radial all the time...they are just too damn expensive!

Anyway I just bought a new set of Mickey T's and I have a pair of T-type aluminums I was gonna mount them on for a track day next Saturday.

Who has run these tires on a stock wheel?

Do they work ok? my concern is when running lower air pressure on a fairly narrow wheel the tire is gonna move around too much.

Am I ok with the stockers?

With aluminum drums I had some minor rubbing on the frame but they worked good at the track.

I also have aluminum drums........not too concerned with the rubbing I think It will clear.

My biggest concern was running that size of a tire on a narrow wheel.

Thanks for the reply!

I also have aluminum drums........not too concerned with the rubbing I think It will clear.

My biggest concern was running that size of a tire on a narrow wheel.

Thanks for the reply!

I run a 275/60/15 on a stock GN wheel. It's a Hankook radial tire. Nothing race oriented.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's what I ran on mine up until 2 days ago (about 7 years). I got a set of 8.5" wide Vectors so I mounted the DRs on them and put the stock sized street tires back on the T wheels. Aluminum drums on mine too. Seemed to fit well with no rubbing, and the tires fit the rims fine. I have posted pics in the past upon request, so you could probably search through my old posts and find the pics. Good luck!

So theses size tires only working with aluminum drums? Hope not just ordered a set those tire for my stock T wheels and have steel drums...

How much thicker are the aluminum drum face vs steel drums. Can't be more than an 1/8" correct? Can't you just run a thin shim. I'm not a fan of spacers but if only an 1/8-3/16 should be ok.

The aluminum drums are thicker. The concern is the outside of the tire rubbing in the wheel well trim. With the thinner steel drums this rubbing is less likely. However these cars weren't put together with precision. There always the possibility of rubbing.

There are lots of guys running 275 on a stock t wheel (8" wide). Even some running 275s on stock gn wheels (only 7" wide). Check the brakes, wheels & tire section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off T rims are only 7". I tried them years ago. I run them exclusively. 275/50s bulged out too much giving a bad contact patch (center wore first) and rubbed, sold them. I have aluminum drums too. I tried 275/60s and they were just as bad. Used them only for the track but got rid of them. 255/60s worked with the 7" rims fine. Went to 8" rims and the 275/60s work fine with a 4 1/8 back space. It will also depend on how your body fits on the frame. Sometime it's shifted and one side then is tighter.

I didn't think I was in the minority, but I run the MT 275/60 on the factory GN wheels. I do have a 3/16 spacer on each side to stop them from rubbing on the frame. I have run this wheel/tire combo for years, and feel it works well for me.

The aluminum drums are thicker. The concern is the outside of the tire rubbing in the wheel well trim. With the thinner steel drums this rubbing is less likely. However these cars weren't put together with precision. There always the possibility of rubbing.

There are lots of guys running 275 on a stock t wheel (8" wide). Even some running 275s on stock gn wheels (only 7" wide). Check the brakes, wheels & tire section.

My bad. Thought the stock t wheels were 8" wide. I'll stop looking for a set now!

Vectors are 8" and GBody used to sell widened T rims.