2021 Season is here!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Good news! I just signed my Buick up for the KYSCCA Regional Time Trial May 15-16 at NCM in Bowling green.

Also geared up to run the Probe again in the Optima series, and now it's proper. The car matches my screen name finally:

211 HP doesn't sound like much, but it's a 50% increase over stock and the car only weighs 2900 with me in it. It should be enough to start passing some people.

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
Good luck this season - with both cars.
Looks like you've been busy :cool: :oops:

Hey... my garage has a black turbo V6 car near a white turbo V6 car too :unsure:

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Good news! I just signed my Buick up for the KYSCCA Regional Time Trial May 15-16 at NCM in Bowling green.

Also geared up to run the Probe again in the Optima series, and now it's proper. The car matches my screen name finally:

211 HP doesn't sound like much, but it's a 50% increase over stock and the car only weighs 2900 with me in it. It should be enough to start passing some people.

It turned out great! I watched some of the install videos too. Thanks for posting.

What’s next, E85 and #40 boost? Wink wink. I can’t wait.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
It turned out great! I watched some of the install videos too. Thanks for posting.

What’s next, E85 and #40 boost? Wink wink. I can’t wait.
That'd be fun, but sadly, the transmission can't take much more. 211 wheel is about 250 crank, and that's the upper limit to reliability on this little Mazda five speed.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
That'd be fun, but sadly, the transmission can't take much more. 211 wheel is about 250 crank, and that's the upper limit to reliability on this little Mazda five speed.

I wondered. I figured there was a weak link somewhere, it’ll still be a blast!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Well, I blew the Probe up.

So, the Buick's back in action.

Optima at AMP this weekend, here's my best autocross run from today.

Took a lot of runs to put it together, and the data tells me I left at least two seconds out there.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
You blew up the WTF?
I cut the block in half

JkKY1qG21fVKuYi7S9m3wcUZiYdaCTqOT8p3aM8NG3kPMJshG-O7AoumYPpKiBOAoeDtBtaf3XVfGTfr0laADNQ-dmaHYv8fOnabbFwd8apDy3LDuVlG_Tof0BMTkjalsEkGIENQnek=w1080

I think the engine I got to replace the original - which being a 1994 has a forged crank and rods - was a 1998 or newer, which had cast guts, and it snapped a rod.

Huge fire. Giant. Dunno if we can salvage it yet. Haven't had time to tear into it yet.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Some parking lot shenanigans! Finally managed to get all the data from the ECUGN logging and sync'd with the video using GPS. It was quite a treat having the video sync itself with the data instead of spending an hour trying to line it up by hand.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
That oval is a neat track feature!
They are a way to increase the effective space you have a for a course.

The draw back can be if they're placed poorly. They slow the entire event down because you can't send another car until the first car is clear of the loop. Normally we want to send a car every 20 seconds. With this loop, it was closer to 25 - 30. Those seconds can add up to a long day.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
They are a way to increase the effective space you have a for a course.

The draw back can be if they're placed poorly. They slow the entire event down because you can't send another car until the first car is clear of the loop. Normally we want to send a car every 20 seconds. With this loop, it was closer to 25 - 30. Those seconds can add up to a long day.

Understood the first part when I saw it.

Didn't think about the second part.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Care to share how you are doing that?
It's taken me two years to get it working reliably, and I'll eventually share all the details once I get it packaged up in something a little easier to put together, but the Cliff's notes is I have a Raspberry Pi 4 microcomputer with an Adafruit GPS module stuffed in the glovebox, and it runs TunerStudio when I key-on. I can access it via Wifi to see the screen on my phone or a tablet, and can log from there to a thumbdrive.

TunerStudio puts the GPS info in the log along with everything else, which makes it super easy to sync the telemetry from the ECUGN to the video from a GoPro.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Also, if anybody in the mid-east Wisconsin area is interested, I'm going to be up at Road America next weekend, August 19-21, with Optima's series. We'll be on the road course Friday and autocrossing on the Go-kart track Saturday, and the SCCA will be on the road course Saturday-Sun for the Kettle Moraine Double Regional. Plenty of action, and since it's all amateur stuff, none of the crowds. Come and say hi!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Also, if anybody in the mid-east Wisconsin area is interested, I'm going to be up at Road America next weekend, August 19-21, with Optima's series. We'll be on the road course Friday and autocrossing on the Go-kart track Saturday, and the SCCA will be on the road course Saturday-Sun for the Kettle Moraine Double Regional. Plenty of action, and since it's all amateur stuff, none of the crowds. Come and say hi!
Road America Embed:

I also nabbed an invite. They gave me the Spirit of the Event Award for being a particularly persistent nutcase, so the car and I will be at SEMA again this year.

My camera died, so I didn't get any in-car footage. I've asked the MAVTV people if they'd be so kind to share some of theirs, so I'll share that if I get it and can share it, but you may have to just wait for the Road America episode to air this fall.

I finished 8th in class in GTV.

I also hit 145mph on the front straight, 138 heading into turn 5, and 142 going into Canada Corner... three times per session. Car was stable as a granite bench. Temps were fantastic. It was quite the rush.