2020 is on!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Maybe consider starting the next spin in a lower speed corner??:oops::rolleyes:

The spin actually wasn't my fault, it was Ford's!

When I hit the grass on the right at the top of the hill, it started the slide, but I had it pointed in the right direction. Sadly, when I hit the kerb on the left side, it tripped the intertial safety switch and cut the motor. The engine braking cause by the motor shutting off is what started the spin. If it had kept running I'd have had it.

I removed the intertial safety switch after they towed me back to the paddock.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Last regular season Optima event for 2020 this weekend, here's my best autocross run from today:

1.66G in the rain. On $150 apiece Chinese tires, in a Probe that just turned 267,000 miles on the original engine.
Good for 6th in GTC and 31st overall. Even if I don't run at all tomorrow, I have enough points to get into the Invitational at COTA in two weeks.

But I'm going to run tomorrow.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Last regular season Optima event for 2020 this weekend, here's my best autocross run from today:

1.66G in the rain. On $150 apiece Chinese tires, in a Probe that just turned 267,000 miles on the original engine.
Good for 6th in GTC and 31st overall. Even if I don't run at all tomorrow, I have enough points to get into the Invitational at COTA in two weeks.

But I'm going to run tomorrow.

That’s GREAT news!!

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Great stuff Andrew.
I am late to this party but have to ask:
Why a Probe? . . . I know you put lots of thought into the decision.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Best lap from this weekend's Optima Event at NCM:

This is just 0.6s slower than I ran the same track with the Buick, a car with nearly 3x the horsepower.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Great stuff Andrew.
I am late to this party but have to ask:
Why a Probe? . . . I know you put lots of thought into the decision.

Well, some friends of mine had one they brought out of mothballs a few years ago, and embarrassed some people with it. As it turns out, the second generation Probe was a really good car. Mazda did the chassis engineering, and the 2.5L V6 is a gem despite its meager (by today's standards) 165hp. It was supposed to replace the Mustang. Ford ended up building both, but the Probe GT was actually better than the contemporary Fox body in every category off the showroom floor. So it's a great starting point.

So, while the Buick was in Saudi Arabia, I was bored, and this car showed up on Ebay for $500. It didn't run, and had been sitting in a parking lot south of Indianapolis for nearly two years. So I bought it, winched it onto the trailer, drug it home, and tinkered on it through the winter, then unleashed it upon the COVID altered 2020 motorsports landscape. Spending a year learning how to be fast in a slow car has been invaluable.

And as of today, I'm on my way back the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational for the second time. In a car that as it sits, has ~$2100 in it total. The entire car costs less than a single wheel you'd find on some of my competitors. It's probably worth less than the stock seats in my GN.

Once I get through the invitational, I'll have to decide whether to sell it, or turbocharge it and run it again next year. I just rolled a set of rod bearings in it and it performed flawlessly this weekend, so as long as the rings hold it should have a good bit of life left. It might be able to take some Ebay Boost. This car with 250 horsepower would make some very expensive shit look silly.

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
I wondered if the Probe choice had any of a backstory, or was just something that you found(?).
They were also sharp cars in their day... and this one (with your help) is acquitting itself admirably well in 2020 :cool:

(I'm also sending a separate message with a photo & story)