2020 is on!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
thx man enjoyed reading that ...very kool ...I think the real time g force data is my favorite ...:geek:
I need to figure out a better way to mount the laptop. The Megasquirt in the Probe isn't as nice as my ECUGN, it doesn't have on-board logging. I have to have the laptop hooked up and logging to get data out of the engine. The gauges get more exciting when you can see RPMs and throttle position.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
thx man enjoyed reading that ...very kool ...I think the real time g force data is my favorite ...:geek:
Man, I’m too busy watching the road and leaning to see the G-meter. Lol

I need to figure out a better way to mount the laptop. The Megasquirt in the Probe isn't as nice as my ECUGN, it doesn't have on-board logging. I have to have the laptop hooked up and logging to get data out of the engine. The gauges get more exciting when you can see RPMs and throttle position.
You’re going to have to splurge for the industrial Velcro. Lol

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Man, I’m too busy watching the road and leaning to see the G-meter. Lol

You’re going to have to splurge for the industrial Velcro. Lol
I have a few spare Raspberry Pi 3's laying around. I may try a headless version of the Pi Dash I built for the Buick. It'd be able to log as soon as the car turns on, and I can pull the logs off the thing over wifi with the laptop. New project idea!

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
No one person should be allowed to have that much fun!!
Keep up the good work!
^^^ that may sum it up :cool:
Obviously you are also working hard to keep everything going

That "autocross" run looks fast and wide open - wow
track looks gorgeous (as one would expect at a Country Club, I suppose).
Thanks for posting, and good luck with the Quest.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Some of you may have already seen on the Facespace or Instagram, but I notched a belt yesterday:

National Champion in the SCN class for the 2020 Optima DriveAutoX Series! The win came with a golden ticket to the UMI Performance King of the Mountain event in two weeks. And I did it with a $500 Ford Probe.

Here's a video of my best run on Satyurday, the course was really tight:

I didn't run any video Sunday. Forgot to charge the camera overnight. Oops.

So, great start to August. The rest of the month is pretty much non-stop. Next week, 8/12-8/14, I'll be at Road America with the Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car. Big boy track. Should be interesting, and terrifying. I'm quite happy to tackle that place for the first time in a low power car. I scored 359 points at AMP. I need to average ~330 points per event to cinch an invite to the Optima Invitational in Vegas, so I have a small buffer.

The UMI's KOTM is the following weekend, 8/20-8/22 at UMI Motosports Park in Clearfield, PA.

Then the first full week of September is the SCCA Solo Nationals, which I'm taking the GN to. Assuming it happens. We learn about the final decision on that event this Wednesday.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Low power car on big power track?

still looks fast...

This session also ripped my splitter off. So now I know: a $24 Ebay front splitter actually works. It generated enough downforce to rip the rivnut inserts out of the ABS lower valence.

I'll have to reinforce that area and reinstall this weekend.

1986 Buick GX1

I know, it gets repetitive.

But you suckers keep watching. Something like 70% of my views are click-throughs from here, so I'ma keep 'em coming :p
Thank you for taking the time to setup your cars with the cameras and info. I’m sure it helps you some, to know where you can go faster and brake later.
My guess is 30% helps you, the other 70% is for us and we really appreciate it.

Install smell-o-vision so we can smell the race fuel, the burning rubber when launching and sliding around corners, but especially the oil burning off the headers that’s dripping from the valve covers (oh wait, your not in the Buick this time). Lol

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Thank you for taking the time to setup your cars with the cameras and info. I’m sure it helps you some, to know where you can go faster and brake later.
I actually have software that rips through the GPS info from the GoPro and tells me exactly where I could have gone faster. It has a database of the tracks, and it can compare grip based on lateral G and tell me where I wasn't pushing as hard as the car could actually go.

Road America is the first BIG track I've done with it. Insights? Several:

I slowed to about 65 for turn one. The data says I should have hit it at 80. That's based on the car pulling 1.7G in turn 5. I also should have been able to get it closer to ~80 in the carousel. Those two changes alone could have shaved almost three more seconds off. I wussed out.

What sucks is I don't really have a laptop good enough to load the videos and run the analysis between sessions at the track (it has the CPU hrsprs, but the screen's too small and it's hard to read outside on a sunny day). Learning all this yesterday evening was cool and all, but if I could have learned it Thursday morning after my first session, it would have be invaluable. Now I have to wait a year to try again.

1986 Buick GX1

I actually have software that rips through the GPS info from the GoPro and tells me exactly where I could have gone faster. It has a database of the tracks, and it can compare grip based on lateral G and tell me where I wasn't pushing as hard as the car could actually go.
Wow! That is a lot more in depth than I imagined.

Road America is the first BIG track I've done with it. Insights? Several:

I slowed to about 65 for turn one. The data says I should have hit it at 80. That's based on the car pulling 1.7G in turn 5. I also should have been able to get it closer to ~80 in the carousel. Those two changes alone could have shaved almost three more seconds off. I wussed out.
I know what you mean.
My car already out drives my SPF (Sphincter Pucker Factor)!! Hahaha

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
^^^ Wow. That sounds like some great software :oops:
"I" am not sure that I'd have the presence of mind/awareness to check how fast I wuz goin' in an 80 mph turn.
Obviously you are making good use of the tools - the results speak for themselves: excellent.
A little "caution" the first time at any track would seem a good approach... much better than meeting the armco and trying to find another worthy $500 project :unsure::rolleyes:
Keep up the good work!