2018 Silverado or 2019 Ram?

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
I sold my faithful avalanche and I am in the market for a new truck.
I can either get a 2018 Silverado Z71 LTZ fully loaded or order a new Ram 1500 exactly how I want it. Not loaded but well equipped
I have been a GM man all my life but the quality in my wife's 2015 Yukon is lacking for such an expensive vehicle, the current generation Silverado looks amazing but the interior is dated. The new 2019 Silverado doesn't look like much of an improvement and actually like the 2018 better. The Silverado is familiar to me and will have the 6.2.
The ram is amazing all the way around but roughly 7-8 more $$. Ram quality scares me as I have never owned one and most everyone I know is either a Ford or GM fanboy.
What's everyone's opinion on Ram quality?
Is it a mistake to buy an outgoing body style even though it's 14k off a 58k sticker?
I figure the 14k off eats allot of the first year depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2016 I was venturing thru the Dodge dealers around Sept and started seeing new certain tagged Rams up to $13k off and was like WOW !!! . Long story short , didn't find one that was optioned how I'd want , so a dealer worked with me and ordered a new 17 Ram 1500 , and still got $9k off sticker . Took 5 weeks from ordered to delivered to dealer .
I love the truck even though I don't use it much , but have to say I really like the look of the Chevys/GMC's . For $14k off sticker , that is a big appetizer !!!!
I wouldn't be scared of the Ram quality , I have mostly had Dodges for our everyday vehicles , and have not had bad luck with any of them . Had an 04 Ram 1500 from 07-2017 when bought the new one , never a days problem with it , actually miss it !! Still have an 03 Caravan we bought new , 150k on it now , other than brakes don't last as long , only problem ever was the computer went bad a year ago .( never any trans problem as many say ) . Gonna keep it til it totally dies/rots out .
Looked at the new Ram styling , very nice , love the panoramic sunroof , and new options . I see your dilemma , but $7-8k diff is approx. $160 a month more if your financing it .
Also , did this on our 2013 Charger R/T we bought new , we bought a lifetime bumper to bumper ( except tires,brakes,wipers) thru Dodge for $2,500 !!! Covered everything !!!! Well worth it IMO . You don't have to do it the day you buy it , just by the time the orig warranty goes up . I'm going to put it on my 17 Ram .
That is something to consider if you are worried about issues .
Hope this helps .
BTW, it was exciting to order a new truck to get it exactly how I wanted it ,LOL, even your name is on the window sticker .

My personal experience with Dodge wasn't good. I bought a brand new dodge Dakota R/T in 2002. The vehicle had many issues with the front end and evap system. Dodge rebuilt the whole front end (ball joints tie rod ends ETC under warranty at 28k). By 44k the front end had worn out again. Traded it in for a new gmc in 2007. My father owned 2 Chrysler 300m and they were money pits as well. Not a fan of their products.

My 2 cents, we have had and wore them all out at work, GMC, Ford, Chevy, RAM, and even an ISUZU, and this is over a 20 year period. By far the least expensive trucks to maintain have been the RAM.
3 RAM trucks usually equals 1 other manufacturer as far as lifespan repairs. I am personally on my 4th RAM,1996, 2001, 2007, and 2011, and the other 3 I had are still on the road all being daily driven by family members.
GMC and Chevy have been ok trucks, but might as well buy stock in injectors (diesel)
If a gnat sneezes, poof, clogged injector!!
The ISUZU, well that is just a boat anchor, but they are the only diesel we can put a glass rack on and not have to have a CDL,
Any brand new truck will treat you nice, but it’s the cost of repairs over the life of the truck.
IMHO, I would get the RAM and enjoy your new truck.

My 14 Silverado has had 2 rearend rebuilds...Now the dlr is saying if the noise is in a 5mph range, no more work will be done.
It's also the GDI, LT1 engine.. Not hearing good things about that, either. Lifters taking a dump, etc.
Am considering selling it, and finding an older model w/o all the bells whistles...
Other than an older truck, my next would be a Toyota Tundra...I've been all GM, since my first car, in 1955. No more new stuff...Period.

Each mfg has its own problems.
2 I'd my buddies are truck drivers and they both swear by GM Duramax. I have noticed the quality difference of the interiors between the 1500 and 2500-3500 trucks. Seems substantial . . . . Yes more $$$ but much better quality . . ???

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab and must say the quality is.... Outstanding. I have had GM 1500 with the 6.2, a Ford Platinum with the 6.2, and the Ram is as good or better that any of them. (Coming from a diehard Ford and GM guy) No regrets here.

I'd go with a new Ram... I just went threw this in Dec. I ended up with a new loaded F150. Wanted all the technology stuff Ram didn't have in the 18s .

I have a rebuilt salvage 13 ram and love it. Plan to drive it 8 more years and give it to my son.

We have a 13 GMC Sierra crew cab Z71 with nearly 80k miles. No issues at all. The key to the lifters is run good oil and change it at 3k instead of by the crap on the dash. Been a great truck, good fuel mileage. Just put a set of tires on it. We bought it when the 14's were just arriving and it was 12k off sticker.

I had both, 2018 Silverado and 2018 RAM.

Silverado-terrible acceleration (5.3L), terrible maneurability, developed “Chevy shake” at 3k miles. Google it! Well known problem with them.

2018 RAM-was great (traded it for Tundra on impulse. Sometimes regret it). Quick (5.7L), no issues, great ride and plenty options, awesome handling.

I had both, 2018 Silverado and 2018 RAM.

Silverado-terrible acceleration (5.3L), terrible maneurability, developed “Chevy shake” at 3k miles. Google it! Well known problem with them.

2018 RAM-was great (traded it for Tundra on impulse. Sometimes regret it). Quick (5.7L), no issues, great ride and plenty options, awesome handling.
WOW !!! You're not kidding !!! Tons of vid's on you tube !! There was a piece of me thinking if I should have gotten the Chevy/GMC instead of the Ram . Glad I have the Ram .
LOL , the one thing that I wish the Ram trucks did not have was the " dial " shifter , but that is my only complaint . I'll take that over a shaking issue that can't be resolved .

Well guys, I purchased a 2018 Silverado midnight edition with the 6.2. I couldn't pass up the deal and need a truck sooner than later. Got it for 16k off.....
If I don't like it I will trade for a 2019 ram when they get some good discounts.
Thanks for the opinions and experiences. Sounds like the Rams are solid trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my salesman has a 2015 with 176,000 on it and it runs and drives new! I rode with him today and all I can think we have done to it is tires, and service. Oh yeah wiper blades at 100k :eek:

One of my salesman has a 2015 with 176,000 on it and it runs and drives new! I rode with him today and all I can think we have done to it is tires, and service. Oh yeah wiper blades at 100k :eek:

Ram or Chevy ? Either way , 2015 with 176k !!!!!!!!

Sounds likes and A & B conversation with Dodge & Chevy being the choice , Well I'm very partial to Ford for
40 years plus. But these newer P/U the technology is thru the roof,and you can get a lemon in either brand.
They main thing is to purchase that extended warranty , that 's what I did on my 2016 F150 Bumper to Bumper
till Sept 2023. Congrats on your new Truck Purchase (y)

Sounds likes and A & B conversation with Dodge & Chevy being the choice , Well I'm very partial to Ford for
40 years plus. But these newer P/U the technology is thru the roof,and you can get a lemon in either brand.
They main thing is to purchase that extended warranty , that 's what I did on my 2016 F150 Bumper to Bumper
till Sept 2023. Congrats on your new Truck Purchase (y)

Your statement says a lot.

Where did Ford (somehow) miss the turn? Or did they? This is a never ending competition.

Enough said.;)

You place your bet and you takes your chances. It's the Las Vegas Wheel of Fortune.

"Your resuts may vary"........

Last edited: