2014 Shelby GT500

I have to agree with this guy. That's great that your turbo Buick beat a high dollar mustang. But to talk shit about that mustang is rediculous. Do you think that guy is really jealous of your 25+ year old Buick? I dot think so. Same for the guys that buy Porsches and the like and get beat by a purpose built cheaper car. I'm sure they go home and sleep just fine. I can only imagine what would be said if somebody here got beat by a fast civic or other import. Every response would be "well, it's still a civic". Well guess what?? That's what that guy is posting on his SVT board right now.

I know the mustang guy spent more money, but he can also go into his garage and start the bone stock 11-12 sec mustang, not do a single thing and still mop the floor with most cars on the road. He's not looking over data logs looking for detonation or asking on the forum why his car won't build boost. If he does have a problem, a trip to the dealer under warranty will fix his problem. Plus, his 55-60k mustang is still half the price of what I see most GNX's going for and his mustang will STILL kill that thing in any performance test. Now who wins the "bang for the buck" war. Some of you guys are so fricken ignorant it makes me sick.

Having said all that, I love turbo buicks and I have a place in my heart for pretty much all gbody's. But let's call it like it is. It's an outdated high performance car that was king of the hill back in its day but not so much anymore. It can be made fast, but some people prefer a newer platform to build on. Why penalize them for for doing so? It sounds crazy, but a boxy 80's Buick isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Can some one please explain why people come to this site to glorify Corvettes, Mustangs, and GTR's? I thought this was a forum for TurboBuick enthusiast???? Don't they have their own forums for that? I must have missed something?

To the OP, it's unfortunate that these guys come to poo poo on your thread.

Can some one please explain why people come to this site to glorify Corvettes, Mustangs, and GTR's? I thought this was a forum for TurboBuick enthusiast???? Don't they have their own forums for that? I must have missed something?

To the OP, it's unfortunate that these guys come to poo poo on your thread.

I'm not glorifying any car. I chose the mustang because that was the car in the topic. I came to this site because I too have a turbo Buick. I have also owned mustangs, a trans am, a civic, my daily driver is a cobalt SS. I just love cars and it's my goal to try out each and every one lol. I'm not taking away from his kill or saying it didn't happen. That's great that his car beat that mustang. What I'm tired of seeing on this forum as well as many others are the narrow minded people that think their car is the only option for going fast. My cobalt has some bolt ons and a tune. It's pretty quick for what it is. I raced a guy in an earlier Porsche and beat him, but I sure as hell would rather have the Porsche than my cobalt.

My point is, some of the posts in this thread are very detrimental to the car scene. Fast is fast whether it's an old Buick or a new mustang,vette,gtr or whatever. Just because it isn't your preference doesn't mean it's junk or a waste of money.

Okay you've run 11.0's at the track. Now take a g-force meter find a public road and tell me what you run. How much do you have in your Mustang?

My T runs 11.18-23 at 121-124 at the track but 12.3-4 on the g-force with street tires on a public hwy. I have $20K in my T and the engine is professionally done capable of 800 HP if I so desired.

On any given day there are a dozen of those things every ten miles. No one drives Shelby 500's, Boss 302's, Z-06's, ZR-1's, ZL-1's of even a base C-5/6 to the limit on the street. It is just a show.

But like I stated before. Drive what "you" want!

Mikey

My mustang would probably run the same on the street. It dead hooks on the street on the same drag radials I race on at the track. The car with purchase and mods is a 40k vehicle. By comparison with inflation, probably the same price a modern TR would cost with mods.

I agree that anything can and will happen on the street, our torque monster v-6s are perfect for stop light to stop light battles. But to discount what a Shelby or new 5.0 is capable of in the right persons hands is nuts.

Man, some of you guys who talk about the Buicks like its king of the hill crack me up. I guess it al depends on the "scene" you're in - if you just pick on random cars while out about your daily business then I'm sure you can do work with an 11-sec TR. But around here, if you get anywhere near people who actually street race are, you need 800+ HP and some huge sticky tires just to be taken seriously...

Actually, I think what it is that your saying cracks me up. This is a Turbo Buick website, so of course your going to find Turbo Buick enthusiasts here feeling that there setups are the best. You'll find that on every forum you go to, so why are you surprised? Bottom line is ANYTHING can be made to go fast. Air, fuel, spark, gearing, weight and tune, is that rocket science? Perhaps to those who write a check for a brand new GTR while knowing nothing about how an engine works it is, but to those who are in the know, and like "faster" was pointing out, anything can be made to go fast, so there is no reason to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars unless you are mentally ill. That was the point. As for needing 800-HP, we live in a day and age where all you need is a Procharger F3R on any worked V8 to make over 2000-HP for the street without even breaking a sweat, all you need is an engine capable of handling that power, and you can build one for very cheap nowadays in comparison with a six figure vehicle from the factory. The sky is the limit, and UGR Lambo's and Alpha GTR's impress me not because they run against V8's running half the horsepower on youtube while their cheer leading section scream Domestics suck. Have one roll up on an old school V8 sporting an F3R/F4 Procharger on the highway at 30-psi and see what happens...

I might have been a little misconstrued - I love when buicks kill anything. They're my favorite car. If I ran down a GT500 and had a vid I'd post it here just like the OP. But like many here, we have been in to or around other platforms and people just don't mess around these days! I just was pointing out the sheer volume of super rediculous street builds that are out there. Able to be driven daily in some cases and beat on relentlessly without having to worry about this and that. Even compared to just 10 years ago. I guess to me it just seems odd to knock other platforms when there's plenty of respect to go around.

And yes StreetLethal - the 2Khp F3R BBC chassis cars that cruise around are definitely players too; they just usually aren't the types to line up for a 3-way on the toll road, lol.

Edit...I actually got this thread confused for another and fwiw, the OP's car is SICK!! And very capable... I have a limited also I'm wrapping up with a somewhat similat motif.

Saturday I had the day off so I used the free time to run some errands. As I was leaving my buddies shop I see behind me a brand new all black Shelby GT500. I'm quite a bit ahead so I just cruise at the speed limit as I see him weaving in traffic e trying to get to the front. (My car is pretty well known in town as I have the only turbo Regal around AND it's fairly fast.) as fate would have it, light turns red, so, he takes the vacant lane beside me....
As the light turns green he takes off I slowly roll into it staying at his side, until, 8psi two black marks and the old Mickey's were screaming bloody murder. Put a quick 5 cars on him and get off it. Of course like a classic Mustang guy he goes flying by... For as much as these things cost I was extremely disappointed in its showing. I'm sure he felt the same!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I congratulate you on your kill, but you really aren't surprised or that proud are you? I mean after all, you're making enough power to run mid 10 at near 130 in the quarter!!! As bad ass as the new Shelby's are, they never advertised that they were anywhere near that power level, and I'm quite sure if he knew what power level you were at, he likely might not have bothered to tangle with you.
I know I'm not stupid enough to try and run somebody I know can clean my clock with no effort what so ever.

Most guys on here know I'm a Ford guy thru and thru, BUT, I also own 2 GN's and love them both!!

I think most guys on there know I'm a Ford guy thru and thru, BUT... I also have 2 GN's and love them both. There are many great cars across several brands.

And yes StreetLethal - the 2Khp F3R BBC chassis cars that cruise around are definitely players too; they just usually aren't the types to line up for a 3-way on the toll road, lol.

... umm, on the contrary, your wrong. More and more are finding their way on the toll roads. Here's an F4 that will be street worthy soon. Can also show you a 2500-HP F3r Corvette from New York. Point is, horsepower isn't a problem nowadays, anybody can own 1500 plus horsepower just by calling Procharger...

I must say my budding has a 10 gt 500 with exhaust, pully and tune its very fast will beat a lot of cars from a roll but off the line just cooks the tires

My mustang would probably run the same on the street. It dead hooks on the street on the same drag radials I race on at the track. The car with purchase and mods is a 40k vehicle. By comparison with inflation, probably the same price a modern TR would cost with mods.

I agree that anything can and will happen on the street, our torque monster v-6s are perfect for stop light to stop light battles. But to discount what a Shelby or new 5.0 is capable of in the right persons hands is nuts.

Okay but what does it run at the track? A 13.0 car at the track will run a 13.0 on the street if it hooks. 95% of the 11.0 car's at the track will not run 11.0 on the street. A 5.0 can be made to go low 12's with mods. Okay my T will run low 12's on my g-force meter on the street with street tires but it will not run low 11's even with the drag radials on the street like it does at the track. That's my point.
Yes with inflation factored in you might be right about the value of the cars in paper dollars.
My son in my stock 97 Cobra beats new GT's all day at the track (I was kinda pissed when I found out he was racing it but proud of his skills and at least it was on the track and not the street).
Off the showroom floor anything making over 300 horsepower will roast the tires on the street for the most part with stab and steer driving. Yes the driver can make a difference but 95% of the people out there can't drive.

Mikey

Good kill, I raced one with the same results , hard to believe they really have 500hp

Yep I agree. A 60k sled.
My tta runs low 10's. Top speed of 150 +

Guy here has a 13 gt500 with a ton of bolt on's a tune for a 100 shot
. I will admitt. Its quick
But from a light or a roll. The little v6
Whoops his ass every time.

Light to Light or from a roll to 140.
No match.
Just think of what u could build for
75 grand

yeah and for 75 grand all you got is still a junky ass ford

In my neighborhood there is a triple blk gt 500 conv. Retired guy owns it it's a monster real nice looking car. Stock tho I would mess with it not sure if he wants go crazy or damage his car lol.

In my neighborhood there is a triple blk gt 500 conv. Retired guy owns it it's a monster real nice looking car. Stock tho I would mess with it not sure if he wants go crazy or damage his car lol.

You live in Easter IA? B/C I have the same story here. He has a pulley and a tune in his and runs easy 11's with it.

wow.. this thread is goin strong:p 2000hp on the street ??? OKKKKKK... As most know here I have street cars that we race. Name of the game is to get it out of the hole without doin a smoke show for the kids. :D We also have a fleet of Buicks and ya I am an old Ford guy to. I do think about another new GT 500 BUT until then I will just beat up on Buicks with my little old RX7 .. HOOK HOOK HOOK is the name of the game especially on the street :D

My family owns a Dodge/Chrysler dealership so I was raised to hate Fords, and, in MY experience Mustang as well as Vette owners don't respect ANYTHING except other Mustangs and Vette's. I've owned a bunch of muscle cars, Chargers, a GSX, a 67 GS, 55 Bel Aire etc etc these Buicks are my favorite and I'll NEVER get tired of spanking cocky people who act like my "Cutlass" can't hold a candle to their car. THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE of course there are exceptions to the rule. My friend Dave Ressler owns more Vette's then I think anyone and it took a lot to get him to admit how bad the Limited was.

I congratulate you on your kill, but you really aren't surprised or that proud are you? I mean after all, you're making enough power to run mid 10 at near 130 in the quarter!!! As bad ass as the new Shelby's are, they never advertised that they were anywhere near that power level, and I'm quite sure if he knew what power level you were at, he likely might not have bothered to tangle with you.
I know I'm not stupid enough to try and run somebody I know can clean my clock with no effort what so ever.

Most guys on here know I'm a Ford guy thru and thru, BUT, I also own 2 GN's and love them both!!

I think most guys on there know I'm a Ford guy thru and thru, BUT... I also have 2 GN's and love them both. There are many great cars across several brands.

I've gone 10.50 @24 psi the car will be in the 9's on a slick, a wider wheel, or, a tad more boost. As described he saw me and thought he was going to teach me a lesson. Honestly I never know if I'm going to win until we line em up and run. This time he lost and i won so I posted it on the website where my fellow TR owners could also enjoy the fact we are STILL taking the FASTEST of TODAY'S modern muscle cars and putting their heads in the dirt. That is all, Focker out.

I've gone 10.50 @24 psi the car will be in the 9's on a slick, a wider wheel, or, a tad more boost. As described he saw me and thought he was going to teach me a lesson. Honestly I never know if I'm going to win until we line em up and run. This time he lost and i won so I posted it on the website where my fellow TR owners could also enjoy the fact we are STILL taking the FASTEST of TODAY'S modern muscle cars and putting their heads in the dirt. That is all, Focker out.

I guess the point I was trying to make is; Try doing that with a stock GN against a stock GT 500. Notice I didn't say stock appearing either.