2014 GS Nationals Auto Cross - Oct 15 & 16 th

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
A little update on the Auto-X program that some of us have been trying to get started at the GS Nationals.

IT'S OFFICIAL! The GS NATIONALS Inc. organization has OK'd the AUTO-X (Auto Cross)
as a venue to be held during the 2014 Buick GS Nationals (Oct 15-18th).

It will be a 2 day event, to be held on a Wednesday (Oct 15th, 2014) and a Thursday (Oct 16th, 2014) ,starting in the mornings and ran till completed, it will be held in the circle track at Beech Bend Raceway Park, Bowling Green ,KY.

The Autocross portion will be held on the "Circle Track" at Beech Bend raceway the same way it's ran for the LS fest so this should be a Blast!

”AMERICAN STREET CAR SERIES’” Bill Howell will do the timing and track set up. The A.S.C.S are the folks who gave us the TV show series " R U Faster Than a Redneck?" this past summer.

Bill is also the gentleman who has put on many Auto Challenge events, mainly the " Run to the Hills" events, all over the Nation, more than an auto cross event but braking and road course handling.

Also there will be (as of now) two major vendors that have never been to the GS Nats, at the event to display their rides and their products and to answer any questions you may have.

Vendors out there that contribute to the Auto-X, Pro-Touring industry, an invitation is being extended to come and set up your show booth and related equipment and parts.

What's needed to enter and have fun? Just bring your ride, It doesn’t matter if it's an old car or new, a FWD or RWD , if the suspension is stock or set-up, if it's got UHP tires or Bias-Ply Tires. ( 200 Tread wear or more, no less), or if it's a 14" rim or a 18" rim.... just bring it out and enjoy the ride. Will need a Helmet, a SNELL SA 2005 rating or newer.

We are looking to have as many entrants/cars as we can to make this an annual event, the more the merrier.

There will be cars there at the event that will be set up, and you will see and feel the differences in the suspension, maybe get a "ride-along" in one of them.

To help with the cost of this venue so you folks could participate, we're asking those who are registered entrants to help out during the event as cone workers, basically to reset cones if one gets knocked over during the Auto-X. Pending on the car count there will be 2 or 3 groups that will run, so if your group isn't running the course, we ask that you work the cones.

So extend your thanks to all those involved and have given the ok for this to happen, Bennet Jones, Bill Howell, and the GS NATIONALS crew, and let's not forget the BEECH BEND Raceway Park owners.

If you have questions feel free to contact the Auto-x Coordinators...... Chris Reed,or a Scot W. @ GNS Performance.

Chris Reed can be reached here with a PM or at cr2motorsports@hotmail.com
Scot W. can be reached here with a PM, or at gnsperformance@gmail.com

Check out the WWW.GSNATIONALS.COM from time to time, for any updates, or additional info.

Or you can stay tuned here for more info as things get more finalized.

Again heads up, The 2014 GS Nationals AutoX is GOING TO HAPPEN!! so get your rides ready....

SPONSORS: (Cash or pizes TBA closer to event)

* RideTech
* GNS Performance
* CarrTunz

Last edited:
Scot,
Must have been my phone. Desktop went there no problem. Guess I'm going to have to go the Nationals this year. Thank for all your hard work on this.
Conrad

Congrats Scot!!! Sounds awesome - I wanna try but I might hit a few cones... I've never attempted road racing events and it kinda looks confusing online..... I heard it pretty addicting too :D

Congrats Scot!!! Sounds awesome - I wanna try but I might hit a few cones... I've never attempted road racing events and it kinda looks confusing online..... I heard it pretty addicting too :D
You will have a blast! It's not hard and we are there to help you the entire time..... We can ride with you and give you some pointers and you can ride with us as well...

I am working on sponsorships with prizes to give away too, it should be a fun event!

You will have a blast! It's not hard and we are there to help you the entire time..... We can ride with you and give you some pointers and you can ride with us as well...

I am working on sponsorships with prizes to give away too, it should be a fun event!
Just to clarify - this would be a Buick only event too right? It would be cool to see all the GNs/Ts running the road course.

Just to clarify - this would be a Buick only event too right? It would be cool to see all the GNs/Ts running the road course.
It will MOSTLY be a Buick event but this first year you can run Anything you want and come out and have some fun! Then in the future as this event picks up car count we will possibly drop the other cars and it will be Buick Only... Either way their should be plenty of Buick's on that course!

I contacted RideTech to have them their with their GS and Brett (the owner) said he will anything he can to help us with this event!

Very cool Scot! Now I'm gonna have to figure out if I can sneak up there for a few days!!

Cool, and congrats!! This sounds fun, and I've never tried anything like this before, but I've sure wanted to.
Scot count Carrtunz in on a prize or cash...

Cool -I just downgraded my C5 Z06 shoes to a more street friendly 200 treadwear NT05 from the 100 NT01's, unfortunately my Buick runs the 100 treadwear NT01's.

Will there be classes or is it an overall? I ran ASP in my C5 Z06...

Last edited:
Cool -I just downgraded my C5 Z06 shoes to a more street friendly 200 treadwear NT05 from the 100 NT01's, unfortunately my Buick runs the 100 treadwear NT01's.

Will there be classes or is it an overall? I ran ASP in my C5 Z06...
Overall best time ...

Auto-x is fun, it lasts longer than 9-10 seconds and you have to be thinking the whole way around instead of trying to go straight...

Great Job Scot!

Sadly, It looks like I'll be in Vegas that week for a conference, but I'll keep an eye out. Maybe it'll fall through and I can make it down and run one of the days.

I hope it takes off. The KY Region SCCA also has an AutoX scheduled on October 26th at the National Corvette Motorsports Park near Beech Bend. They have a sweet new 16 acre autocross pad. Perhaps if this event grows, you might be able to secure that lot for this portion in future? Food for thought.

YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!

Finally!!

I was definitely coming to cover this for GMHTP (when it still existed), but I need to figure out a way to attend on my own.

Nice work, Scot!