2011 BPG T Party Special Guest List (Revised)

VETKILR

Staff member
On behalf of Sean Ryder and the rest of the Board of Directors of the Buick Performance Group, I officially invite you all as Buick owners, enthusiasts and spectators to our 2011 National Event July 29-31, 2011 at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio. We have had our "reunion events" focus on the Gran Sport Stage 1, and the GSX. Now it is time to devout our attention to one of the fastest, most under-rated muscle cars of all time. The cars that in subdued colors, lacked the flare and tenacity of the Grand National, but had the same drive train and guts on the inside. The cars that ate Mustang 5.0s since their inception in 1986 and were the fastest American built car in the 1980s, and second only worldwide to the Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. The car that had to be eliminated b/c it upset Chevrolet corporate staff because it violated GM “policy” by being the fastest production car built by GM in 1986 and 1987, even faster than the Vette which was a “no-no” in those days. The car that 25 years later, with a simple turbo v6 and a few mods can eat modern day Shelby GT 500s, Camaro SS, Challengers and the likes of any production-built muscle car built today. Yes, ladies and gentlemen we are talking about the Turbo Regals, aka T Types, Turbo Ts, and the Turbo Limited.

Dennis Manner the father of the Stage 1 engine and renowned Buick engineer has assisted me in helping to locate the Buick engineers who were most instrumental in these cars, whose credence was "Bad to the Bone.” Dennis will be attending as will his close friend Joe Guzek. Joe’s resume reads like this: “Major designer of all major GM muscle car wheels including Gran Sports and GNs and countless others. Remarkable guy, owns multiple 60s Buicks and turbo regals and also owns a 1 of 1 color (metallic orange ) 1970 stage 1 4 speed (finally found the correct looking color; hoping to have it painted and he said he hopes to drive it down for '11 event with Manner as they are very close friends).

In addition, 4 other engineers, synonymous with Buick Performance will be attending, bringing with them never before seen photos, documentation, materials, books, and articles showing the initial stages of testing, r and d work, racing and production which turned the 231 v6 from an oil puking 6 cylinder to a fire breather turbocharged and intercooled motor that became the power plant of choice not only in Grand Nationals and Turbo Regals, but TTAs, GNXs and became the forefather of the 4.3 block used in the Syclone and Typhoon. From its early history and initial builds to its Nascar heritage (hence the name Grand National), to its domination of the streets and tracks beginning in 1986 with added turbo charging and intercooling, these engineers will present to all Buick enthusiasts the rich history of the 231 v6 and the history of the Turbo Regal. 4 more personnel are in talks with myself about attending and they are confirming with myself and the BPG as we speak. When they officially confirm we will announce it here and on other sites. Their resumes read like this:

1. GM Service Writer. Wrote all the service manuals for all the turbo regals, owned a t type brand new in 85, owns an 85 race car and 87 Turbo T. Has rare never before seen assembly manuals, documents and photos of the "G body cars" and some rare GNX and turbo regal photos.

2. He took over as supervisor of the Turbo Group from 1986-87! He said he has several stories about the race between Buick and the Turbo 3.8 vs Chevrolet and the 350/305 engine for their Corvettes that he says TR enthusiasts will enjoy as well as other stories of the 3.8 engine development. Also has some rare stories about NASCAR and how Grand National came to be coined in name.

3. He was in charge of Buick's Advanced Vehicle Concepts and is considered one of the main reasons the GNX came to be in existence. He stated he will bring photos, documentation and literature on everything he can find including the famous shootout between the Calloway 350 Vette and the GNX prototypes that put the GNX on the map.

4. Was at Buick from 1967 through the late 90s. Instrumental in the early turbocharger years, also developed first prototype intercooled/turbocharged car prior to 1986 when the 86/87 were just about to be release. Also worked as head of Buick Motorsports when they terrorized Indy with their 3.8 turbo engines winning the Indy pole many years in a row. Also developed FWD Supercharged 3800s of late 90s and early 2000s and instrumental in getting Buick get the Grand National name for use in its production car and also some funny stories about the front spoiler with the GN/T Types being produced on the street for a NASCAR advantage! Good Story, I’ll let him tell it! Very technical guy about the turbo charger and super good guy! Hopefully will have some paperwork and documentation from the early days, as he is going to start hunting for it as we speak!

As I said before, the above individuals were committed a few months ago and now we are finalizing details. Once that happens their names will be revealed for all to see. For now we will let the mystery wait on....

In addition, Mark Holder from Muscle Car Review who has been a staple at our events and always given great press coverage will be in attendance covering the event. High Performance Pontiac also stated they will cover the event as well.

In addition for our TTA aka Turbo Trans Am owners and enthusiasts, the following gurus will be there as well:

Scott Kelly was instrumental in the development and production of the 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am. Scott served as the Engineering Liaison between PAS and General Motors throughout the program as well as being responsible for the all of the Trans Ams used during the month of May 1989 including the 3 actual Pace Cars. After the Trans Am program Scott worked as the Service and Warranty administrator for the Anniversary Trans Am, Syclone, Typhoon, Sonoma GT as well as Natural Gas powered trucks that PAS produced until 1994.

Scott and his Wife Ann currently own a small automotive technical writing company name Kelly Automobile Technologies that specialized in vehicle proposals, technical papers and marketing materials. Ann and Scott met under the hood of a prototype 20th Anniversary Trans Am in 1988 as Ann was tasked by Pontiac to develop the Owner’s Manual Supplement for the car.

Also Billy Briggs, the prototype engine builder of the TTA will be there as well.

All speeches and presentations by our guests will be in the luxurious Jegs Suite track side. A/c and a lot of room, perfect for the humid July Ohio days.

If you have any questions, contact myself at 216.470.8844 for Turbo Regal info or email me at TROSE231@hotmail.com or contact Jim Chaudrue if you have questions or issues for the TTA portion of the event. His email is phillyturbosix@comcast.net. All these personnel have never met outside of Buick and Pontiac factories in Michigan. Never have all these innovative individuals been at one event and never will this type of reunion occur ever again. This is a once in a lifetime event to see and meet the people who designed, tested and build the cars that we still love to this day. Be a part of history in the making! BE THERE!!!

Tony Rose

BPG#1139

BPG Board of Directors

Vendor/Donor Coordinator

T Party Coordinator

Wayne Sherman who called me for 45 min tonight to say that he will attend he was the last guy who ended the legacy of the GN at Buick and has rare parts and stories a few he told me he doesn't know if the public should know but great guy! He is calling Bill Owen a major player who brought the Buick power-plant to pas for the TTA! He also knows the guy he came up with the AE stock piston, the prototype 3.8 engine builder, the guy who calibrated the turbo cars, guy who did the turbo cars for FBI etc! He said also Bob Bailey worked in turbo group and Ron Wallace who also in turbo group took over CTS/Corvette! Wayne was a huge part and very busy working and school too! He said in a month he will find out about who can attend or who can't and said out of 5-6 guys he should get 1-2 for sure to show up! Wayne has a lot of great stories and definitely knows more than he let's on! Even said he remembers seeing Brads white GSX back in the day! He will also call a Tom Bosley of Gm heritage collection to see if we can get a TTA to come or both of them! I talked in summer with Seth Finnegan of GM Heritage who said because of Gm re structure policies have changed and since it may be tougher to sign out cars plus new liability! Wayne said same thing but I'll call again and use a few Gm contacts I know plus calling Indy museum see if they want to bring their TTA down too!

Wayne is awesome and will have some killer stories and pics as well as Bill Owen and a few others he's trying to bring on as some have passed away!

Tony Rose
BPG#1139
BOD-Vendor/Donors
Co-Chair 2011 "T" Party

As we lock in more speakers for this event I'll keep posting them up here.

We recently locked in Wayne Sherman. Wayne was one of 7 people allocated from Flint from Buick to help with the TTA and was one of the final people to carry out the legacy of the Buick Grand National will be in attendance. We are also in contact with several other people who did everything from set up the DEA/FBI Turbo Regals, Computer Programming, AE Piston Design, 3.8 Prototype Engine Builder and several others directly involved with different facets of the TTA and Turbo Regals!

Just the cast of talent that is going to be at this event is worth the admission price alone! I can assure you guys this cast of people involved with these cars will NEVER all be together in one place again! You do not want to miss this event!

Here is some of the people we already have a lock on that are mostly Buick guys.....

* Ronald Kociba- Was at Buick from 1967 through the late 90s. Instrumental in the early turbocharger years, also developed first prototype intercooled/turbocharged car prior to 1986 when the 86/87 were just about to be release. Also worked as head of Buick Motorsports when they terrorized Indy with their 3.8 turbo engines winning the Indy pole. Also developed FWD Supercharged 3800s of late 90s and early 2000s and instrumental in getting Buick get the Grand National name for use in its production car and also some funny stories about the front spoiler with the GN/T Types being produced on the street for a NASCAR advantage! Good Story, Ill let Ron tell it! Very technical guy about the turbo charger and super good guy! Hopefully will have some paperwork and documentation from the early days, as he is going to start hunting for it as we speak!

* Joe Guzek- Major designer of all major GM muscle car wheels including Gran Sports and GNs. Remarkable guy, owns multiple 60s buicks and turbo regals and also owns a 1 of 1 color (metallic orange)stage 1 4 speed (finally found the correct looking color; hoping to have it painted and he said he hopes to drive it down for '11 event with Manner as they are very close friends!

* Dave Roland- GM Service Writer. Wrote all the service manuals for all the turbo regals, owned a t type brand new in 85, owns an 85 race car and 87 Turbo T. Has rare never before seen assembly manuals, documents and photos of the "G body cars" and some rare GNX and turbo regal photos. Also a good friend of Denny Manner's and a great guy to speak with and has already committed as well to attend the even in 2011!

** Tom Wallace- Buick Assistant Vehicle Chief/ "G" Cars- Chief Design guy for the Buicks, then took over Corvettes. May work for the Museum now in B.G. Denny knows him and is going to try and speak to him as of this writing.

** Ron Yuile- Took over Turbo V6 program at Buick from Ronald Kociba. Ron Kociba is good friends with Ronald Yuille so he will talk to him for me about having him attend and thinks Yuille will attend. Kociba and Yuille both helped develop the intercooled/turbocharged 3.8 popularized in 1986/1987, Kociba was the main guy to initiate it, and Yuille took it over in its prime years. Denny said it will take time but he should be able to get Yuille to come and if he cant get Wallace he is going to be contacting him others he told me, just give me time!

* Denny Manner - a performance minded Buick engineer, created the original proposal for the Stage 2 package. With a long list of upgrades including special heads, a 7,000 rpm camshaft and valve train, 11.0:1 compression ratio utilizing special TRW pistons, deep groove pulleys, a 4.30 posi-traction rear end and more, he knew he could create a record breaker that would certainly put Buick on the map at tracks nationwide. Using racers Pop Kennedy and Jim Bell, (think Kenne-Bell), he was able to gather real data by testing these parts on the track.

Spoke with Julio Don from Alky Systems. He will make the effort and come up from Florida to attend this event if he gets enough request to install kits, sell kits, and or tune the kits.

So if you guys want Julio Don to show up for any of these services, e-mail / call him with your requests now! I have already e-mailed him and offered him Free vending / Free entrance for the event just to help get him up here for you guys! His kits are amazing and almost a must for the turbo cars that want to run more boost. Nothing better then the man himself doing the install and tuning it! If your on the fence about getting one of his kits now is the time as he is rarely up this far north!

Here is his contact info....

Julio Don
Alkycontrol Inc
10317 Del Mar Circle
Tampa FL 33624
813-265-1400
M-F 9:00AM till 6:00PM EST
http://alkycontrol.com/