2006 E55 AMG

Trader history for 87geeinn (0)

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Below is a cut and paste of my for sale ad over at the mbworld forum which can be viewed here along with many more pictures. This has been my semi-daily driver for a few years now and makes a great companion car to a turbo Buick. Anyone that knows these cars will appreciate the sleeper aspect of these land missles. Price is $21,500.
----
Tastefully modified with Kleemann 93 octane box tune, Eurocharged TCU tune, 77mm clutched pulley, MBH headers and X-pipe (no cats and sounds amazing with no highway drone), PLM heat exchanger, Creative Steel poly engine mounts (never worry about engine mounts again!), Bosch 010 pump, K&N air filters, refinished stock wheels w/Michelin AS3+ on all four corners (’17 and ’18 date codes), body wrapped in ceramic coated black satin 3M vinyl less than a year ago. No suspension noises or clunks and no issues with the Airmatic system. Car has sat for weeks at a time (on a battery maintainer) with no sagging. Carfax shows front struts were replaced at 99k in 2018 by MB of Atlantic City. The fuel pump/filter/sender/wiring all appear to have been replaced under prior ownership in around 2017 or so with the updated part numbers. No fuel smell, check engine light, or hidden codes. All four Keyless Go handles work. No leaks from valve cover gaskets or oil cooler lines. Flex discs are in good working order and transmission shifts perfect. All original roadside equipment present (except for the white gloves). Two key fobs included. Clean title in hand.

I purchased the car in 100% stock form with a little less than 100k on the clock. At that time, I replaced all spark plugs with iridium NGKs, new plug wires, coil packs, brake fluid flush, serpentine belts, Zimmerman brake rotors, Akebono ceramic pads at all four corners (very little dust), transmission service (MB236.14 spec fluid, filter, and 13-pin connector), transmission mount, idler pulley (preventive maintenance), and main battery. Over the course of ownership I’ve also done the following mods or maintenance items in addition to those items listed above: oil changed every 5k miles with 0w-40 MB spec oil w/proper fleece filter and copper crush washers on both drain bolts, window tint, replaced rear subframe bolts with grade 10 hardware as a preventative measure, cleaned and resealed PCV valve cover, replaced driver door Keyless Go handle, black out grille, standing star delete, replacement wheel center caps, re-sealed sun visors (prone to splitting), blue light standing lamp bulbs (to match the HID headlights), chrome trim blackout, tinted front cornering lamps, replaced headlamp lenses, removed the annoying door chime from the gauge cluster (E55 owners will know what I mean), side mirror gaskets, painted the gear shift surround flat black, disconnected microphone which controls the auto volume function of the COMAND system (another annoying feature IMO). All of the aforementioned work and modifications listed previously were performed by myself with the exception of the brake fluid flush at the local MB dealership, wheel refinishing, window tint, and the satin wrap.

The bad: rear main seal leak (very common but not bad enough to even drip on the ground), light damage to lower rear driver side passenger door (hard to see from a standing position), dynamic seats inoperable due to bad pump (no desire to replace it), rear roller blind inoperable (again, no desire to repair), a few hairline cracks in the Bird’s Eye Maple interior trim, small sags in rear of headliner but barely noticeable, and a small gouge in right rear wheel (no other blemishes on wheels). Original paint (197U Obsidian Black) has lots of swirl marks, rock chips, scuffs to the lower air dam but commensurate with mileage and daily driver use but presents well. Photo included of vehicle prior to vinyl wrap for reference (SL65 wheels are sold). The only real issue I’ve had thus far was a parasitic battery drain which I traced to a failed alarm siren (common issue). I removed the defective siren and opted not to replace it. The wiring is still intact if the future owner opts to install a replacement unit. Easy fix.

New owner will get a few things to include MB roof racks, original exhaust and headers, original grille, original emblems, engine mounts, dip stick, standing star, used set of rear tires, new conductor plate, and a few miscellaneous goodies. Car could be returned to mostly stock (except for the wheel color) if desired.

This E55 is not a cream puff but it is a properly sorted AMG with normal expected wear for its age and only minor inconvenient/petty mechanical issues. Car is a semi-daily driver which does not see rain anymore but miles will go up as it is driven.

Attachments

• 1_.jpg
    1_.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2_.jpg
    2_.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 3_.jpg
    3_.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 4_.jpg
    4_.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 5_.jpg
    5_.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 6_.jpg
    6_.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 34
  • 7_.jpg
    7_.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 35
  • 9_.jpg
    9_.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 8_.jpg
    8_.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 10_.jpg
    10_.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 37

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
More pics...

Attachments

• 11_.jpg
    11_.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 12_.jpg
    12_.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 13_.jpg
    13_.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 14_.jpg
    14_.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 15_.jpg
    15_.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 17_.jpg
    17_.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 16_.jpg
    16_.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 31
  • 18_.jpg
    18_.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 19_.jpg
    19_.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20_.jpg
    20_.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 26

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Last batch of pics...

Attachments

• 21_.jpg
    21_.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 22_.jpg
    22_.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 23_.jpg
    23_.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 30
  • 26_.jpg
    26_.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 25_.jpg
    25_.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 24_.jpg
    24_.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 27_.jpg
    27_.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 28_.jpg
    28_.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 29_.jpg
    29_.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 30_.jpg
    30_.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 21

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
What’s the rwhp now ? Miles ? Ever taken it down the 1320 ? I really like the E55’s . It’s all fun an games with one until something breaks though.
Wish the US got the same Amg A45s that Europe gets

Last edited:

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Beautiful car. Many nice, subtle enhancements.

Is the Matte a wrap or factory paint?

115K miles is close to wore out for any performance MB, but this is one a hell of a lot of car for that price. Them things shit and git.

Good luck with the sale, it should sell pretty fast. There's no real nice used cars out there right now.

Last edited:

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
My dad bought a 99 e430 for 800 with 185k miles it now has 285 no major injury…. I told him same all fun and games till u have a engine or trans problem .. his car has no body issues

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
Btw op needs the gates green belt on sc pulley .. I have green belt on my lx570
An my d max… everyone knows U can’t get a lot for extra mods like on gn’s tta’s an harleys

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
what I posted was no damage to body’s reg miles good paint for age. I own abt 15 cars I know how it go’s

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
Love the cars but I’d be scared of it for 15. That’s like me asking 45 for my 48k mile gn I have 45k in it

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Been out of town but I'll try to provide some answers input to the responses above:

- Current mileage is 115,200 but will go up, as it's a semi-daily driver. The mileage is listed on the mbworld ad and on the cargurus ad. I forgot it wasn't listed in the cut-and-paste description. Sorry about that.
- Never tracked
- Just a ballpark guess here but I'd estimate around 450 to the wheels...maybe a little more on a cold day. These cars are prone to heat soak on hot days and it makes a noticeable difference even when the cooling system has been mildly upgraded. There are some aftermarket solutions (e.g., killer chiller, interchiller, ice tanks, etc) but I wanted to refrain from extensive mods and/or hacking on the car. It's still a blast even in the dead of the summer. Just more funner in the cooler seasons.
- As with all cars, it's always fun and games until something major breaks. The M113k engine and 5-speed trans on these cars are considered very reliable, with proper upkeep of course. I understand this is a fairly niche car and not for everyone. Pay to play sorta thing I guess but this is my third W211 AMG (2nd E55 and one '07 E63 with the N/A 6.2L M156 engine) and I never had any serious issues out of all three of them. All were 100k+ mile cars. I would disagree that they are considered end-of-life at 100k. Many examples with many more miles still going strong.
- It's a satin black wrap which is a little different than matte. Satin has a little bit of a sheen whereas true matte looks very flat and kinda "dry." There is a difference if you've ever seen a satin and matte car side by side. Pic number 22 in post #3 shows the car pre-wrap and what the "Obsidian Black" paint looks like. It's a good "20 foot" driver quality car underneath.
- As far as the Gates green belt, I've never found it necessary and never needed it or a belt wrap kit. Never any belt slippage on either E55. IMO, belt slippage is a symptom of a worn out tensioner, improper s/c to clutch gap, or a worn/inferior brand belt. Having these three things in order will alleviate any slippage.
-KBB is a good gauge or baseline on many cars, but I think it misses the mark on some specific platforms, E55s being one of many examples. I don't think the algorithms (or whatever metrics feed the machine) account for everything. For example, there aren't many E55s left out there that have been well cared for. The ones that are in good shape usually get sold through Cars and Bids, BaT, mbworld.org, etc, leaving the rest for the regular internet sites to scoop up. I don't think KBB gets this information or accounts for it. Take a look at the current offerings on cargurus. The highest priced ones are cars that don't even have the original rims, likely damage and/or paintwork (re: mis-aligned emblems). Hell, one of them is clearly running hot. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Then take a look at the history of E55s sold on Cars and Bids, BaT, etc. Quite a vast difference.

The way I see it, I would much rather buy a car (and pay more for it) from an enthusiast who is up front and honest about the car and knows everything about the vehicle vs buying one from some dealer lot with a generic description and no known back history aside from the Carfax. You could end up buying a relatively low mileage example but end up paying thousands to get the car in proper working order, not to mention mods, if that is being factored in. Again, I know this car isn't for everyone but it's likely a perfect fit for a select few that want those exact mods, or simliar build. It could be bought with confidence and is turn-key. It's still a LOT of car for the money. Only reason I'm selling is I'm looking to upgrade to a newer E63, ML63, or a later model Cayenne Turbo S. Basically want something with AWD with a bit more traction. The biggest downside is these cars came with a open diff (well...electronically controlled diff) and traction can be a challenge to the inexperienced driver who doesn't know how to feather or roll into a throttle properly. Unfortunately, there are no drag radials available for these cars. But I digress...

Mikeymikesttop

AKA-- mikes86ttop
TTT...
Got an '06 Turbo S here.... Only has 286k on her... She runs and has 90% left on the tires... LOL!!!
All joking aside but that's a cool MB you have there... 20210913_154439_HDR.jpg ... GLWS... Mike

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
I got 13.40’s out of my 06 Tbss rwd with just a mail order tune dvd an baby seat in back on fact tires.Was a fun lil suv .

@2QUICK2B6: I really like the looks of the TBSS just wish they had a little more get up and go. I think it has a timeless design and I like how it's not all "extra" looking in the looks department.

@Mikeymikesttop: You're a man after my own heart. I'm looking into a 957 or later. Looks like you're enjoying her with all those miles on it. That's awesome, man.

Mikeymikesttop

AKA-- mikes86ttop
Yea man, she has been retired since July of last year... It was inspection time and she wasn't getting passed, no matter what I did.... How far do you really want to go, you know?..but they are a hell of a machine.... Have you seen the new cayenne turbo gt yet?..... Mike

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
@2QUICK2B6: I really like the looks of the TBSS just wish they had a little more get up and go. I think it has a timeless design and I like how it's not all "extra" looking in the looks department.

@Mikeymikesttop: You're a man after my own heart. I'm looking into a 957 or later. Looks like you're enjoying her with all those miles on it. That's awesome, man.
Lil more get up an go ? Lol u can get anything u want aftermarket ones running 8.70’s .. I though mine did pretty well could beat older stangs an camaros 395 hp 400 ftlbs stock. I ordered mine so I had the first around here acouple people asked where I got my body kit from an wheels.was never forsale guy kept bugging me it had like 104k on it I said 17 to get him
To shut up , he said how abt 16,800 ? So I laughed all the way to the bank with him .. 1 of 2 cars I ever ordered bought new. Still got my 99 ss vert 6 speed 1 of 365 I ordered 23k miles now. # 0405 slp

Last edited: