2004R troubles

Acenewman

Rebuilt the 2004R in my 1989 Olds Custom Cruiser. When I shift into reverse I get a buzzing or rattle kind of sound from the trans. When I pull the TV cable all the way out in park I get the same sound. I put a pressure gauge on it today and did some driving around. Pressures seem to be about where they should be. Pressure readings are smooth when driving with the exception of in reverse. When in reverse the pressure fluctuates wildly. I get the same wild pressure fluctuations with it in park if I pull out the TV cable while running. Seems like maybe a pressure regulation or valvebody issue?? Any hints on where to look first are much appreciated. Thanks, Chris

One last detail, the car did sit quit a bit for the last 6 months. Just started driving it again about a week ago.

Sounds like the pump. Did you rebuild the pump or did you install a rebuilt one? If you rebuilt the pump what did you change in it? How many vane pump? What size boost valves? Did you check to see if you have the low/reverse boost valve in upside down?

I rebuilt the pump. 7 Vanes, boost valve is 0.500. I installed a CKPerformance shift calibration kit at the time. So there were some modifications to the pressure regulator setup in the pump.

Rebuilt the 2004R in my 1989 Olds Custom Cruiser. When I shift into reverse I get a buzzing or rattle kind of sound from the trans. When I pull the TV cable all the way out in park I get the same sound. I put a pressure gauge on it today and did some driving around. Pressures seem to be about where they should be. Pressure readings are smooth when driving with the exception of in reverse. When in reverse the pressure fluctuates wildly. I get the same wild pressure fluctuations with it in park if I pull out the TV cable while running. Seems like maybe a pressure regulation or valvebody issue?? Any hints on where to look first are much appreciated. Thanks, Chris

One last detail, the car did sit quit a bit for the last 6 months. Just started driving it again about a week ago.
call dave husek.he will walk you through it

PR buzz, I see it often. Lots of times it a by product of big boost valves. It doesn't hurt anything and the needle on the guage does move quite rapidly

Spoke to Dave Husek today. What a fantastic guy. Clearly had other stuff going on in the shop but still took 10 min to help troubleshoot my problem. He gave me a couple things to look at. Will post back results when I have a chance to dig into it.

If you pull the pump a disassembly of the pressure relief is in order. The pin can cut into the spring so it was suggested by bison to install a washer between the spring and pin. The ball needs to be clean with no rust marks or wear. You can polish the seat with a q tip in a drill with some valve lapping compound.
Did you install a 700r4 pink or blue spring and a larger rev/boost valve? What about a stiffer slide doing in the pump? Sonnax sells a nice one. You can put the stock small one back in the sonnax spring and install to keep the slide to max out the volume and may smooth out pressure surges.

Attachments

• V__33DC.jpg
    V__33DC.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 62