2004r transmission issues.. not sure what to do next

Read this thread and it's sad to see you make a long time vendor in our hobby look bad because of your errors. You installed the wrong converter in the CPT trans and then grenaded a converter in that trans. Then you had someone locally supposedly clean the trans. You then keep insinuating that maybe CPT is behind the times or they been passed by or you made a wrong choice in trans builders. Really?
This is all on you. And now you expect CPT to repair your mistakes for free?
I have never bought anything from CPT or know them so I'm not taking their side.
I Would find any of your disparaging cooments on any of the Buick trans builders now or in future suspect.
You need to apologize for hurting a mans ability to make a living by your mistakes.

Last edited:
The 200R will always be a problem for your power level, i had one built by the best and he told me straight this will never last. I was told to go with the TH400 which i did and could not be happier. My car rips without the down time i had with the 200, and the cost to re & re all the time. I was frustrated and pissed off with the car, once i went TH400 ii has been all smiles.

... bad because of your errors. You installed the wrong converter in the CPT trans and then grenaded a converter in that trans.

Dude-- if you dont know what your talking about its probably best to not make comments- LOL how can it be MY error when i was supplied BOTH the transmission AND the converter- i didnt shop from various vendors to buy the cheapest part from each place--
are you telling me that YOU are able to tell by looking at a torq converter IF its a lockup or non lockup converter???

and the second converter that blew up is no ones fault- it was a bad torrington bearing that let go- it lasted all of 15 minutes -

and i CLEARLY said Arts after sales support was great and so has been Kennys. i was asking questions as to builds- and what parts are put in various companys transmissions-

if someone has questions as to whats specific they can PM me as i wont post what i have heard from various people

The 200R will always be a problem for your power level, i had one built by the best and he told me straight this will never last. I was told to go with the TH400 which i did and could not be happier. My car rips without the down time i had with the 200, and the cost to re & re all the time. I was frustrated and pissed off with the car, once i went TH400 ii has been all smiles.

well "hopefully" the one i get from David will solve my problems-- Kenny donated me a 200R buick core and it is currently on its way to David in LI.. that trans is getting a tour of north america -- from Ca to NY then back to Vancouver.. i agree that the trans is probably the weak link-- but the trans cost with a new converter isnt even 20% of the cost of the motor so this is the next logical step for me. even if it had to come out every few years to be gone thru im ok with that- i can re/re this trans now in under 2 hours by myself-

we are only at 550 on 94 octane at 15 psi - planning on a few lb more with the alky kit thats already installed just hooking up now-- on race fuel should be able to hit low 700s and i was told close to 800 on e85.. but this will likely live on 94 most of the time -

Dude-- if you dont know what your talking about its probably best to not make comments- LOL how can it be MY error when i was supplied BOTH the transmission AND the converter- i didnt shop from various vendors to buy the cheapest part from each place--
are you telling me that YOU are able to tell by looking at a torq converter IF its a lockup or non lockup converter???

and the second converter that blew up is no ones fault- it was a bad torrington bearing that let go- it lasted all of 15 minutes -

and i CLEARLY said Arts after sales support was great and so has been Kennys. i was asking questions as to builds- and what parts are put in various companys transmissions-

if someone has questions as to whats specific they can PM me as i wont post what i have heard from various people
"
Nowhere did I say you were cheap!
Read your post again and look where you said the converter was from PTC. That's a different company than CPT. That didn't indicate to me that it came from Art since he has his own non lockups. But fine so you got the wrong one. I wouldn't know either if it was a lock up. But your error was your impatience. First error You put in someone else's converter that grenaded the transmission. That should be the end of your warranty. Then some local guy goes thru it and who knows what he did or didn't do to your trans. That was your second error. After you installed Art replacement converter you admit that your linkage is all out of whack. And yet Art is still willing to fix your errors.
So now you post this insinuation

"if someone has questions as to whats specific they can PM me as i wont post what i have heard from various people[/QUOTE"

You talk from both sides of your mouth.

you dont follow-- i got the transmission AND converter from the same place- regardless of what brand it was I dealt with one person- your making an awful lot of assumptions from a post on a forum and drawing all the incorrect conclusions-

someones elses converter grenades the transmission? did I say it was from somewhere else?? NO - do you know where the second converter came from? i never said who- again your assuming i got it from somewhere other than the original supplier. - and again another incorrect conclusion.

as for linkage out of whack- thats a Champion intake and i havent seen anyone else be so particular as to the TV cable - - it was simple as i do metal fab work and decided to improve the geometry-- so my guess is that has no bearing- Champion doesnt include a new dropped offset throttle bracket to go with their intake- yet their intake is milled perfect to bolt on the stock mount- so ??? i would think that everyone else uses the stock mount as is.

LOL again theyre NOT my errors- i was supplied a transmission and TC- i installed what i was supplied- there was No panic until the trans came out for the third time and i didnt want to wait 3 weeks to get it back together-

all the local guy did was take it apart- clean it and put it back together as was originally built with new clutches- and a new input shaft/gasket and filter supplied by art. he didnt modify anything as i didnt want him doing any changes-

you dont follow-- i got the transmission AND converter from the same place- regardless of what brand it was I dealt with one person- your making an awful lot of assumptions from a post on a forum and drawing all the incorrect conclusions-

someones elses converter grenades the transmission? did I say it was from somewhere else?? NO - do you know where the second converter came from? i never said who- again your assuming i got it from somewhere other than the original supplier. - and again another incorrect conclusion.

as for linkage out of whack- thats a Champion intake and i havent seen anyone else be so particular as to the TV cable - - it was simple as i do metal fab work and decided to improve the geometry-- so my guess is that has no bearing- Champion doesnt include a new dropped offset throttle bracket to go with their intake- yet their intake is milled perfect to bolt on the stock mount- so ??? i would think that everyone else uses the stock mount as is.

LOL again theyre NOT my errors- i was supplied a transmission and TC- i installed what i was supplied- there was No panic until the trans came out for the third time and i didnt want to wait 3 weeks to get it back together-

all the local guy did was take it apart- clean it and put it back together as was originally built with new clutches- and a new input shaft/gasket and filter supplied by art. he didnt modify anything as i didnt want him doing any changes-
Again you should read your own post. This is what you wrote

"when first installed worked fine 1 day - and then next day the converter blew up the torrington bearing in it and put metal thru the valve body- this was last month- (this was aloaned converter from Kenny) "

Not Arts converter but Kenny that blew up. My conclusions come from what you wrote.

Just a side note
My 200-4r that that I bought from one of the first three vendors that you mentioned in your post as the guys you should have had build your trans snapped the input shaft with just 2,000 miles on it. I talked to them today and they will help me get it back working again. I will give them the opportunity to help me out. It will cost me money but I understand that almost all the guys in the Buick community are good guys and try their very best to build the best product for us that they can within the limitations of what they have to work with. They try to make a living of their reputation as that's all they have to go on. Things happen when we push the envelope. Things go wrong sometime. What you should have done is be patient and give the man a chance to help you out without going to the boards and smearing his name. You were in such a big hurry to get things going and save the season that you made things worse. So how did that work out for you!!