200, 200-4R, and aftermarket servo sizes

Price. Yeah it’s the way to go in an actual full build but sometimes you’re just having fun on a shoestring budget. The most fun I’ve ever had inside a 200-4r has a total budget of less than the cost of the sonnax servo. As far as I know it’s still going behind a mild 455.

Yup. The fun of the hunt is part of it. Also part of why I pick them up is for the guts when I find em cheap - the pin, cushion hat and springs. When you buy an aftermarket servo, you typically get just the cover and piston. I hate the monstrous downshift clunk when you don't have a cushion hat and spring in place, and I've been told that it's just better to have them in place. And they are getting harder to find...

thank you for the good replies. i have a 200-4r that is fully built out of my t-type, going into a 67 skylark with a 430. i have to figure out the best way to get it to shift at 5k before I throw a rod. would a stock gn governor work well?

I just joined the forum because I'm having issues with my trans in my monte it's the stock 2004r just rebuilt about a year ago but not driven. I just put a tci manual reverse pattern valve body in it with the b&m mega shifter and it will not shift into 2nd when I ratchet it into 2nd but will go into 3rd if I ratchet it again and OD if I hit it again so it is the only gear not working which is 2nd... from the research I've done I'm guessing it might be the servo which is stock but I removed the cushion spring and in er piston like the directions said to from tci... any other info would be greatly appreciated to confirm the servo being the issue or that It might be something else thanks in advance

Oh and if I do go with the sannox servo is it definite that I will have to shorten the pin or is that in rare cases ?

I'd put the servo back like it was(stock) and see where you are. I like the sonnax as that is what I'm using but I didn't have a 692. We made pin adjustments to get the clearance we wanted. Not hard, but does involve removal several times unless you are lucky.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I'd put the servo back like it was(stock) and see where you are. I like the sonnax as that is what I'm using but I didn't have a 692. We made pin adjustments to get the clearance we wanted. Not hard, but does involve removal several times unless you are lucky.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks and ok I will try that first before I buy an aftermarket servo. So if I put the spring and inner piston back in and still no 2nd gear that should tell me I should replace it. And if the servo does need to be replaced that doesn't necessarily mean that the band is bad also does it?

You need to measure the clearance on that servo. If you can't get the clearance I'd be lengthening/shortening the pin to get it. Put it in without the spring and seals if you can get them off without damaging them. Way easier to get it in and out for adjustment, then when you get the clearance you want, reinstall the seals and spring and take it for a test drive. This way you can measure between the cover and retaining ring to get a clearance number with a feeler gauge. Do you know what material is on the band, if it is stock width, what your line pressure is. All of these things make a difference in each person's idea of what the clearance should be.

Could be miss adjusted clearance, broken band attaching lug, broken pin, or smoked band. Hard to say over the internet.

Last edited:
You need to measure the clearance on that servo. If you can't get the clearance I'd be lengthening/shortening the pin to get it. Put it in without the spring and seals if you can get them off without damaging them. Way easier to get it in and out for adjustment, then when you get the clearance you want, reinstall the seals and spring and take it for a test drive. This way you can measure between the cover and retaining ring to get a clearance number with a feeler gauge. Do you know what material is on the band, if it is stock width, what your line pressure is. All of these things make a difference in each person's idea of what the clearance should be.

Could be miss adjusted clearance, broken band attaching lug, broken pin, or smoked band. Hard to say over the internet.

I'm pretty sure it's the stock band but cant be totally sure I've rebuilt the trans 2 times this being the 2nd and never heard if the guy who built it replaced the band... but I will go more into finding those things out and see what I come up with thanks again man

I just joined the forum because I'm having issues with my trans in my monte it's the stock 2004r just rebuilt about a year ago but not driven. I just put a tci manual reverse pattern valve body in it with the b&m mega shifter and it will not shift into 2nd when I ratchet it into 2nd but will go into 3rd if I ratchet it again and OD if I hit it again so it is the only gear not working which is 2nd... from the research I've done I'm guessing it might be the servo which is stock but I removed the cushion spring and in er piston like the directions said to from tci... any other info would be greatly appreciated to confirm the servo being the issue or that It might be something else thanks in advance

Oh and if I do go with the sannox servo is it definite that I will have to shorten the pin or is that in rare cases ?
Are you sure you're not already in second when you start off....like second gear starts?

Are you sure you're not already in second when you start off....like second gear starts?

I dont think so I've had it on the lift and been under it and in it while the other person watches the gear selector move as the shifter is moved and ratcheted unless there is another way it could be in 2nd starting off with the selector still being in first on the trans.

Well I figured it out it was a total mistake on my part I misread the tci valve body install instructions when it said discard inner piston of the servo I just read the first part that said "discard" it didnt mean the entire inner piston it says "discard sealing ring" so I went back into it and took the sealing ring off and put the piston back in and what do ya know I have all my gears trans works great but still a sluggish 2nd gear shift so I need to get the larger billet servo so the 2nd gear shift will match the 3rd and 4th gear firm shifts. But another question is with the sonnax servo will I need to use any of my stock servo inner parts ? Didnt know if anyone has used the sonnax servo before and can let me know what to expect on install... thanks
Screenshot_20190804-185343_Drive.jpg

Just for historical purposes, I stumbled across another TH200 / TH2004R servo today in a bag of parts.

It has a 145 cover and 562 piston and measures the same size as the GN 694 Cover/562 Piston combo (which makes sense since they are both using the same piston.)

So if you see one with a 145 cover, it's the same as the 694.