2-Step or Trans brake?

turbogn_231

New to this. I have never in my life used a 2-step or trans break. I can imagine that this is a debatable topic as well.
I have a TR6 box and XFI which both have 2-step built in. I also have an EA trans being installed with an Electronic Trans Brake. I have never used any of these.
Any help on which one is easier to use, better or any other general opinions?
Thanks

Turbogn,I waiting for this info too! Im in the same position as you .I have never used either and as we speak trans is at Champion Transmission having a trans bread installed and I sent my converter to PTC to be re-stalled to 4500 rpm .Not sure if I need the t brake with the higher stall but I need something ,now my 60 ft sucks at 1.55. Lets see what your post brings from the old pros. jim maguire

I would do both. On the trans brake my car felt like it took a long time to spool. You can have a 2 or 3 step on as your rolling in to stage and then get on the trans brake to stage. IMO that's the best way to go. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Peter

BTW, here's my car on with trans brake.

I would do both. On the trans brake my car felt like it took a long time to spool. You can have a 2 or 3 step on as your rolling in to stage and then get on the trans brake to stage. IMO that's the best way to go. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Peter

Thanks for the input but I'm not sure that I completely understand.

BTW, here's my car on with trans brake.

Awesome video!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

if you have the brake and a 2step use both
i would use the tr6 and not the fast

with brake alone you really have to watch the boost and rpm and use your foot on throttle to make sure it builds and doesn't overbuild

set rpm on 2step to a level that gets the car out off the tree without spinning tires
(for me thats 4100 and 9.5 psi but i also use a boost limiter on an electronic boost controller with launch mode )

tie the two step to the brake activation switch
if you have a stageright manual brake you would need to rig up a leaf switch to shifter to activate 2step in low gear when on brake

at track...
set two step to say 3200
get to line and stage
lock brake hold a few rpm on throttle
when both racers are staged just before tree starts ....floor it
rpm will stop at two step limit setting
wait for last amber and let off trans brake
hold on

if it spins out when you leave tree lower the rpm , if it hooks increase 2step rpm limiter and try again
once you find a happy spot you will find that the car will be very consistent on the leave and you can concentrate on the lights rather than worry the car will build more than your tires will handle
for me the two step and boost limiters get the car to leave and be consistent to within a few thousandths on the 60'

with XFI and an electric trans brake you can also hook up the trans brake creep feature and that allows you to prestage, engage brake, build boost/rpm and then hit a button to creep into the stage bulb ready to go . if your combo is a slow booster this would help for a protree race

with brake alone you really have to watch the boost and rpm and use your foot on throttle to make sure it builds and doesn't overbuild

set rpm on 2step to a level that gets the car out off the tree without spinning tires
(for me thats 4100 and 9.5 psi but i also use a boost limiter on an electronic boost controller with launch mode )

if you have a stageright manual brake you would need to rig up a leaf switch to shifter to activate 2step in low gear when on brake

at track...
set two step to say 3200
get to line and stage
hold on

if it spins out when you leave tree lower the rpm , if it hooks increase 2step rpm limiter and try again
once you find a happy spot you will find that the car will be very consistent on the leave and you can concentrate on the lights rather than worry the car will build more than your tires will handle
for me the two step and boost limiters get the car to leave and be consistent to within a few thousandths on the 60'

with XFI and an electric trans brake you can also hook up the trans brake creep feature and that allows you to prestage, engage brake, build boost/rpm and then hit a button to creep into the stage bulb ready to go . if your combo is a slow booster this would help for a protree race
X2

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

at track...
set two step to say 3200
get to line and stage
hold on

Sorry, I thought I responded to this to say Thanks for the advice but I must not have. Thanks

So, I've been thinking.....
-If I hook up the two-step to the brake switch, how would I do a burnout to heat the tires? I think I would I have to put another switch inline?
-What If I hook the electric brake and two-step together on the shifter button? That way they are both engaged (and disengaged) and the same time. Do you see any issues with that? I think it might be easier this way.

Sorry, I thought I responded to this to say Thanks for the advice but I must not have. Thanks

So, I've been thinking.....
-If I hook up the two-step to the brake switch, how would I do a burnout to heat the tires? I think I would I have to put another switch inline?
-What If I hook the electric brake and two-step together on the shifter button? That way they are both engaged (and disengaged) and the same time. Do you see any issues with that? I think it might be easier this way.

For burnouts you really should be using a line lock. They're cheap and a much better way to go than using your brakes.

you asked about transbrake and a 2step ...when i say "brake'" from the first line of that post and through the post i mean transbrake not the brake pedal

for burnouts you should use a line lock (on front brakes)

AHHHH, Got it!

I thought you meant the Brake LIGHT activation switch, that's what I was originally thinking about doing, but you meant the Transbrake switch.
So they will BOTH be hooked up together on my shifter button. What a great idea I had! ;-)

THANKS!

The brakelight switch will deactivate too slowly... Bob Bailey has covered this topic before. Mine are both on the same rocker switch. Just put the 12v that activates the brake and tie into so when the tbrake is activated and it will send signal to activate the 2 step..... when u release both they will release together. The best way i have found to build boost and be ready to launch especially on a pro tree is to get boost to zero and let the car settle in when the tbrake button is set. My car will move abt an inch after the brake is set. Thats just enuff to drop into the stage bulb, that way ur ready to go even if the tree is activated quickly .

Great stuff here. Thanks guys. Can some post a video of inside the car so i can see the process of a launch?

heres my incar

my line lock switch is in the ashtray and hold the pressure at front brakes for burnout so the rears dont get heated up
two step (TR6) is activated with the t-brake button (on console plate) at same time my elect boost control (MSBC-1) goes into launch stage with boost limited by controller using same t-brake switch
on release of switch t-brake releases,two step turns off and elect boost control advances to the1st stage of target boost and uses timers to advance through the other boost target stages (has 5 stages each with their own timer before they advance )

...what pacecarta said. here is a vid that my brother took while riding shotgun. i stage as normal, then as soon as both cars are staged i floor it. then i release the brake just as the green is about to light up. i have a master switch so that i can disable the feature on the street (in case i race a car while rolling... i like to brake boost it). i have my RPM limit set to 3200. i have precise control over how hard my car leaves.

This is what I rec for a mechanical Transbrake:
577e728bb1a3204969e4f074946505d2.jpg

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Thanks guys, those videos were awesome! Mine is a street car so I'm keeping my stock shifter putting getting stage 2 trans with brake from Lonnie @ extreme this month. Ive always had stick cars so never really had this issue. So with a brake you can't just engage the brake and build boost and release to launch? or do you need a 2 step?

Thanks guys, those videos were awesome! Mine is a street car so I'm keeping my stock shifter putting getting stage 2 trans with brake from Lonnie @ extreme this month. Ive always had stick cars so never really had this issue. So with a brake you can't just engage the brake and build boost and release to launch? or do you need a 2 step?
You don't need a 2 step but you won't be winning races trying to control it without a 2 step. You will be all over the place. Too much throttle, too little, foot coming off the pedal when launching, etc. 2 step levels the playing field a lot

BPE2013@hotmail.com

To optimize your car's track times you need a trans brake and 2 step. Trans brake allows a better launch without relying on your brakes to hold the car. Some cars can hold 3psi, some can hold 10psi. The trans brake allows you to launch at max rpm without the suspension being loaded.

The 2 step makes the launch consistent and allows you to fine tune the launch.

For a person who only visits the track 2 times a year is it worth having both a 2 step/ and transbrake ... Is a 2 step/brake combo street friendly??? And can you reach low low tens or 9's off the footbrake???