2 issues fuel gauge and lights out

carryon525

ISSUE 1
I have an aftermarket digital led fuel gauge (glowshitf red color) which has been working perfect. I just recently took a few items off to get powder coated and redid EVERY vaccum line. My first issue is the fuel gauge is on and working but now is reading 102psi and does not move? I was going to check the line off to make sure it was set properly but the LED shows 102psi with key on, idle, and driving now???

ISSUE 2
I've seen similar things online here but I replaced all of my bulbs today and everything was working great then when I started to go for a test ride the lights started to fliker, fliker, fliker as I was in reverse then all lights went out? ONLY lights currently working are the tail lights. The radio went on off on off and the dash lights flikered. I thought it was something going on with battery or altenator but that's not the case as my scanmaster proves 13.6 or so . I push up and down on headlight switch nothing, dimmer nothing, door locks nothing, radio nothing, WINDOWS WORK? I know years ago the dimmer was an issue. I have not check fuses but can someone give me idesas on both issues? FYI I did replace one headlight today and three or four of the bulbs I changed are LED which make a huge diference in our cars.

BTW I'm not new to the forum I just lost my old screen name and its been years (2011 since I've been on here AND I do not have the email address I used to use on here.

Yes you said you changed the head lights so go back and check those grounds on the fenders both side and make sure-that ground wire coming from the battery to the fender is solid move them around.

I only changed 1 headlight that being a high beam on passenger side. I did install turbotweaks tune saver which requires you to unbolt the passenger side fender ground. I have two other round groind including his and a fork style going to that ground?? So four total is that to many? Any I tightened it tight

Issue one solved that was easy the round wire came out of the connector.

Now issue two any other ideas? I am leaving town for a week but fill me up with options and I'll go at it next week. Btw I did check the ground bolt I mentioned earlier and it super tight,

If this were my car, for issue #2, here is what I would check:

-Change your LED bulbs back to incandescent. My guess is they do not get along with your dimmer. LEDs do weird sneaky things.
-On your passenger side ground (I know you tightened it), make sure one of the black wires did not "sneak away" from you when you unbolted. This happened to me once.
-Less likely, but still check the fusible links from the starter. I had mine wear through and touch the frame 2 weeks ago and shut off the power to the engine, dash and radio. On acceleration I would get some dash flickering and radio going out. The occasional flickering should have told me something, but I did not chase it until too late.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

-Change your LED bulbs back to incandescent. My guess is they do not get along with your dimmer. LEDs do weird sneaky things.
-On your passenger side ground (I know you tightened it), make sure one of the black wires did not "sneak away" from you when you unbolted. This happened to me once.
-Less likely, but still check the fusible links from the starter. I had mine wear through and touch the frame 2 weeks ago and shut off the power to the engine, dash and radio. On acceleration I would get some dash flickering and radio going out. The occasional flickering should have told me something, but I did not chase it until too late.

On the first part the led were working great with everything I only put them in the floor courtesy and license plate. Nothing started happening until I put car in reverse to back out. The bolt I check and have everything on it that was there beforehand. All the fusible links from starter were relocated a while back to near the baterry in a custom fuse box because I was having A/C issues and found all the links melted from the down pipe somehow. I check all those fuses this morning and they are fine. Still haven't check below dash fuses but that seems to be my next move and if not that I thought about bad dimmer switch again? I have a difficult time getting under the dash as I was a former quadriplegic. So most likely going to need help looking at those.

Checked and replaced some fuses that looked bad or kinda melted but we're still ok? What would be next move? I thought about replacing the 30 amp relay fuse in fuse box but the power windows are working. The locks are not working and I know that relay does control that function? Should I replace it? Also the dimmer switch? If I remember they can cause issues with lights as well? Also light switch? Should my next move be to replace the 30 amp fuse and switches or does someone have other thoughts. Currently still no lock power, radio power, dash lights, or headlights. Tach, factory boost lights, windows , aftermarket gauges, and tail lights work.

The more I do a search the more I'm tempted to look at the shifter ground. My problem only started as soon as I put the car in reverse? Is that a typical sign of shifter ground? Reminder I checked all fuses and changed 4 just because I had extras. Does someone have the shifter ground instructions? Pictures always help

The shifter area under the center console

There's a bulb / socket, that twists into the flexible slider. The grnd on mine is a slide on gripper clip, that I found clipped to the dash at the radio area.
As for the dimmer, I took mine apart, and found the circuit board in 2 pieces. This was a dimmer assy w/ the alum heat sink on it. My second one has no sink, but it works. The sink won't fit on the non sink, as the circuit board is too thick.

Looked under console at ground which looked good however looked at the ground wire to bulb assembly and the ground was just stuffed into ground socket. The bulb is still good. Do have have to buy a new socket and can it be bought at parts store?? Is there a chance that this is my issue???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 72