2 1/2 rear springs

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
Has anybody here converted the rear suspension over to 2 1/2 coilover springs? It seems like a good alternative to the stockers. Plus they would be adjustable.

I plan on putting coilover springs in over the winter, but springs only in the stock location. I will not have any adjustability other than ordering different springs. Hopefully will get it real close the first time.

Are you talking the whole coilover unit where the shocks go?

A 12" coilover spring replaces the stock spring in the stock location. The stock style shocks are still used. A Mustang adjustable spring mount is used on the bottom spring perch on the rear. You can adjust the ride height with the adjustable mount. The main advantage is you can use different spring rates to "fine tune" the rear suspension.

12 qa1 springs

I have 12'' qa1 110# springs in the rear. The 110's are way too soft. I am going to purchase 130's or 150's in a 14'' length and trim to fit. the 12'' will set the car right on the ground! I run a 4'' backspace 8'' rim with a 275 60 et street radial and I have an 1/8th inch clearence on each side. It is as about dead nuts as you can get. Most people that see the car ask if the wheel wells have been cut out or modified. I have the wheel lip rolled very tight. The springs also provide more room for big exhaust. And you will have springs if you ever want to go to a coilover setup. I will try to post a pic of the back of the car.

Scott, that looks like a nice setup! Did you get those 325's to work? I've been doing alot of reding & it seems that a good double adjustable rear shock is mandatory to make radials work well.

Doug, do you have a link to this mustang shock mount?

Thanks

John

I have 12'' qa1 110# springs in the rear. The 110's are way too soft. I am going to purchase 130's or 150's in a 14'' length and trim to fit. the 12'' will set the car right on the ground! I run a 4'' backspace 8'' rim with a 275 60 et street radial and I have an 1/8th inch clearence on each side. It is as about dead nuts as you can get. Most people that see the car ask if the wheel wells have been cut out or modified. I have the wheel lip rolled very tight. The springs also provide more room for big exhaust. And you will have springs if you ever want to go to a coilover setup. I will try to post a pic of the back of the car.

I was told 12" 130-140# spring should be close, 120-130 if the car is real light in the rear.

Adjustable Spring Mounts...

We had a similar set-up on our Mustang in True Street where coil-overs weren't allowed in the class. It gave us room to mini-tub the car by using the smaller diameter springs. We used the Wolfe Racecraft Spring Adjuster, it was welded in a pocket at the top of the framerail. Then we welded a spring perch on the lower control arms. The smaller diameter spings allowed clearance to move the tires inside the wheelwells. It would allow some fine tuning, once you have the correct spring rate determined...

The same principal should work on the Gbody car. Weld the Spring Adjuster at the top on a fabricated bracket or on the rearend and a solid mount in the oppsite location...

Adjuster on Mustang Set-up...

Wolfe Race Craft - Detail

Adjuster for Gbody...

Wolfe Race Craft - Detail

John, I have them mounted ready to go. Looking to do the notch over the holiday break. My 275's work pretty good as long as there's track prep. If not... forget about it.

Doug, do you have a link to this mustang shock mount?

Hey John, jevans beat me to it. :D Thanks for the info guys. What modifications are needed on the stock upper and lower spring mounts? I was thinking about trying to make a set the can still use the stock lower mounts. But haven't been able to get under mine to get some ideas and measurements. In my research it seems everybody uses 130-150# springs. But some have used 170#ers.