1st track visit: What was vs. what coulda been

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
I'll try to keep this short (maybe if I cut out the most embarassing parts...). Went to Tri-State today for my first track visit. I honestly figured I would run 15's. I didn't, but I'm still disappointed.

First run I red-lighted, and then killed the car. 2 mins later, I run a 13.85 (left with 0-2 lbs of boost).
Other runs were:
13.41 @ 105.26 2.28 60ft,
13.40 @ 103.43 2.15 60ft (this one I ran down a WRX, and it's a good thing, I would have shot myself if I had lost, but this shows how crappy my launches are, it took almost half the track to run him down),
14.96 @ 101 3.42 60ft (egad!),
13.03 @ 107.42 2.18 60ft (oh baby!)

At this point I was getting a little confident (though not in my tires or launches). I was pegging at 21-22 I think, and my knock was not going above 1.4 (running 110 octane with Red's 100 chip). Other numbers looked good. So with time running out I think, what the hey, let's crank this #*#% up. 3.5 turns on the wg. And I run.....

...and I launch (relatively) like a *insert expletive*, I could FEEL a sub 13 time, I KNEW it. So what happens? Well, not quite halfway through, as I look at my boost gauge pegging at 25 (Chad is now thinking "oh god, get this car out of this punk's hands") - KER-CHUNK! bog, down to 65. Did I blow a head gasket? Probably. I pass the line at about 65 (still did a 15, 3 seconds ahead of the civic next door, lol), pull aside and it's "just" my intercooler pipe (the one that popped off 8 times during the drive last week for a rainout). To say I was pissed and dejected would be a severe understatement. Because I KNEW I had something in that run. But maybe it's a blessing in disguise, because with that kind of boost, something probably woulda blown.
I kept screwing up the Tlink, and I only have two (crappy runs) in data, I think the above numbers are probably more helpful. I'm a little disappointed. Granted I was on BFG street radials, first time, and know next to nothing about tuning, but isn't the CAR capable of sub-12's? Oh well, still a fun learning experience. But can someone "learn" me what I should invest in next to help? ...I could go on, but I won't.

Originally posted by Crazy D

13.03 @ 107.42 2.18 60ft (oh baby!)

At this point I was getting a little confident (though not in my tires or launches). I was pegging at 21-22 I think, and my knock was not going above 1.4 (running 110 octane with Red's 100 chip). Other numbers looked good. So with time running out I think, what the hey, let's crank this #*#% up. 3.5 turns on the wg. And I run.....

Well that run says it all. Reducing the 60ft time with some sticky tires will net you approx .2sec for every.1 reducton in 60ft. so your 2.16 reduced to a conservative 1.8 is .36 in 60ft =.7 in 1/4 thats a low 12 for sure.

Were you running pure 110 or mixed with some unleaded?? I dont thik the car should be knocking on 110. maybe it was false knock?

Good luck sounds great.

There might have been a gallon or two of 92 octane in there too. I don't see my knock being a problem at this point, but my launches are I guess. Don't know whether to invest in some MT's, or a Powertrax, or what. Maybe a chip besides the Red 100? Have a 2800 converter and a shift kit waiting to go in, can't think of any other mods I should put in.

Won't a bad 02 sensor usually trip a code? Because so far it hasn't and I was wondering if it could still be good.

Personally I would get the tires first.

NO not all O2's will code, in fact I never get BOSCh sensors to code when they ar bad.

Your car with race chip, slicks, and some good tuning/driving time is worth a high 11 at least IMHO.

It takes some time to learn even how to drive your car. Someone around here (won't name names!! ;-) Went from a 8.0 down to a 7.6 in the 8th mile just by driver changes and no tuning changes at all. His first time at the track with the car. Now put some tuning changes to that and the car is capable of running 7.0's.

Be patient. It takes time to go fast. Doesn't happen first night out. You are in the learning stages of what your car responds to. Each one is different and have their own personality. Besides running street tires you can't expect killer e.t.'s. which is mostly made up of traction. Take a look at the mph to see the gains/losses in horsepower.

BTW- do you still have those crappy stock hoses?? Get a good IC hose set with HD clamps.

Yeah, I still have the crappy IC pipe, didn't know anything better was available?

Any recommendations on tires? Something that would also be streetable possible or not? I guess I'd just like whatever would work the best at the track though, and if I have to buy an extra pair of wheels, so be it.

Any ideas on how much the converter will help?

Track? Slicks all the way. 10x26x15.

Street? Nitto's or BFG's drag radials.

I'm talking about the intercooler up-pipe hoses and clamps. Same up-pipe. Just about every vendor sells them. A must for running high boost. The stock stuff is too short and too soft to hold very well.

Convertor should improve 60ft times. Do you have air bags installed in the rear springs?? Driveshaft safety loop?

Oh, ok, my bad. Yeah, I do still have the crappy hoses and clamps. I have better ones on my MAF pipe though! :p

No airbags, but was thinking about it. Maybe just one, or two? And I guess I need to install a safety loop to run slicks on most tracks? MT's, Hoosiers? DOT's? Anything I can legally and practically run on the street or will I just need to keep my street tires and get a spare set of wheels?

I know where you're coming from. Just had MY first track visit over the weekend myself. My very first run netted a 15.0 @ 89 with a 2.19 60'. This was leaving with 1 to 2 psi boost. Dirt track tires didn't hurt, though hehe (thanks to SHRPTTA). My best 60' was a 1.99, didn't know my car could feel like that! Left with 4 psi that time (anything more would blow the tires off. Best run of 14.4 @ 92. So just don't feel too bad about your 13 second runs, cuz I'd love to see one. Was having boost control problems all weekend due to exhaust leaks and poorly-designed bleed-off valves. Went to solid w/g rod control later and found a consistent 13 psi on my fastest run (that was all I could get out of the w/g actuator, because of exhaust leaks, I assume). Anyway, good luck, just wanted to let you know you're not alone.:cool: