1st passed on new setup

Chuckd

Well I've been working on this car for the past 4 years. Finally got it to where I would be comfortable making a pass. A couple of weeks ago I took the car to make a few passes and get a few things ironed out.

Wasen't a bad day, Given I haven't made a pass in a Turbo Buick in over 20 yrs.

2.03 - 60ft
7.91 @ 92.52 in the 1/8th
12.06 @ 117.49 in the 1/4

I could only build 1-2# of boost at launch and the 60' didn't feel good
Max boost was 17psi.

I have since changed the spring in the wastegate and replaced the rear lowers. I could compress the spring with one hand.

Boost would rise until 2# ish then the needle on the gauge would bounce at round 2 psi.
Once I got out about 200 feet the boost would start to rise and the car would pull.

My question is what can I do to get the 60ft down. It has a PTC 9.5 N/L the turbo is a 6567 and ported heads and intake 215/210 cam. no trans brake though.

Seat time
sticky tires
get the boost ironed out and crank it up.
You have enough stuff for 1.5 short and mid !0s. Is that turbo a 6567 or a 6765?
Id check for some exhaust leaks because that turbo{6765} is very hard just to get below 20 psi. when spooled.
At 25psi and up its a monster.
Who's tuning the fast.?

Yep, 6765. It has some Mickey t drag radials.

I got a start up tune from Cal but I've been bringing it around a little at a time. I'm positive there's a lot left in it tune wise. I am no Cal.

I got under the car tonight and notice the convertor was pinkish purple in color. Not PTC I'm betting. Might be too tight. I noticed tonight it only stalls up to 2500 ish. Is it possible to get it restalled?

Attachments

• 20140411_191419.jpg
    20140411_191419.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 386
Yep, 6765. It has some Mickey t drag radials.

I got a start up tune from Cal but I've been bringing it around a little at a time. I'm positive there's a lot left in it tune wise. I am no Cal.

I got under the car tonight and notice the convertor was pinkish purple in color. Not PTC I'm betting. Might be too tight. I noticed tonight it only stalls up to 2500 ish. Is it possible to get it restalled?
And I could only find 020 stamped on it.

I'm thinking Vigilante.

This car has been a nightmare putting back together. There has only been about 3 things on the list of 20 that have actually been in the car like the previous owner said was there.

Whatever it is I think it's too tight.

Sounds like the tune just needs work. I'd be really surprised if that TC didn't stall higher than 2500 with a better tune down low. Especially with the sluggish boost rise after launching too.

Sounds like the tune just needs work. I'd be really surprised if that TC didn't stall higher than 2500 with a better tune down low. Especially with the sluggish boost rise after launching too.
I am having a very similar issue.

Can the car gain 5-700 rpm against the converter from a tune if the mph is in line with the expected performance? :confused:

He's not going to pick up the 1500 rpm he needs with the tune. It's sluggish because it needs to leave the line at 3800-4000rpm to get a decent 60'. Even higher rpm if the chassis can handle it.

I missed the part where you started getting boost around 200ft out. I thought you were spinning.
Sounds like converter too tight for the turbo.

He's not going to pick up the 1500 rpm he needs with the tune. It's sluggish because it needs to leave the line at 3800-4000rpm to get a decent 60'. Even higher rpm if the chassis can handle it.

But what stall would that be at 0-1psi? You say be needs to leave at that rpm but what boost level would that need to be? Seems high for a 6567.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bison, me and you are on the same page. I think it needs more stall. I was thinking 3400-3800.

Can this convertor be re-stalled?

The convertor CAN be re-stalled. Best bet is to sell it and get a PTC and be done with it. You'll be happy you did.

Bison, me and you are on the same page. I think it needs more stall. I was thinking 3400-3800.

Can this convertor be re-stalled?
I would not restall it. My Vig came apart and sent trash thru the tranny, I would go PTC

But what stall would that be at 0-1psi? You say be needs to leave at that rpm but what boost level would that need to be? Seems high for a 6567.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Probably 3200 at 0 but theres no rule on that since that's not enough to get the car out. Only a reference point. Looking back at my logs the car went the quickest when the launch rpm was near 4000 regardless of boost. It came within a half a second from launch. You're in second before you can blink. If the cam is more aggressive and has more LS it will need a looser converter to get it over the hump. Sometimes 400 rpm looser. Usually the cars run quicker with a too loose converter because the car will leave better.

Brian,
Yes he needs more converter, but don't you think he could muster more then 2 psi ? All things being considered. He's got a little sorting out to do. I assume even the journal Bering 6765 would half ass spool up wit a 2800.

I have a nice loose converter but don't know the stall.... It actually is to loose so that can be a problem also

Brian,
Yes he needs more converter, but don't you think he could muster more then 2 psi ? All things being considered. He's got a little sorting out to do. I assume even the journal Bering 6765 would half ass spool up wit a 2800.
It depends on the converter and other things If it's a 2600 I wouldn't expect it to do much at the line. If you could see boost vs mph it would tell you a lot more. Probably not hitting Full boost till it's out 40-50feet

Last edited: