1987 Turbo Regal, Garnet Red Metallic, 55k miles, nice example

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
For Sale:
I am relisting this car after a sale fell through and I ran out of time to sell before the snow hit last year.
Pictures will be posted to this thread shortly.

1987 Buick Turbo Regal, factory lightweight
Canadian import
88,000 km / 54,680 mi
Garnet red metallic (GM paint code 076)
Owned since 1998.
Trophy winner at many car shows
Stored in a great storage garage and hasn't seen rain since 1998.

Extras included:
Set of 4 1987 aluminum T wheels/caps. Tires will need replacing on these since they are rotten.
Laptop with DOS version TurboLink and cable
Fitted car cover
Complete working Powermaster system
NOS window weather strips. Bought years ago to keep around and haven't needed to install.

Located in Cedar Falls, Iowa

Engine:
  • 3.8 SFI Turbo
  • Manley valves
  • O-ringed heads
  • TE-44 turbo from Precision Turbo and Engine
  • stock intercooler
  • Ford Blue Top 36psi injectors
  • Walbro 307 fuel pump with hotwire kit
  • Poston’s mechanical fuel pressure gauge (under hood)
  • MAF Translator with LS1 MAF sensor (old school Translator)
  • Stock ECM with TurboTweak 93 octane chip
  • Stock GM TH2004R with D5 torque converter, well maintained
  • Chrome turbo cover, up-pipe, MAF pipe, EGR cover, oil breathers, oil filler
Exhaust:
  • Hooker cat back 2.5” exhaust
  • Super Comp mufflers exiting in stock location with proper slash cut tips
  • BGC 3” downpipe
  • Adjustable wastegate actuator with correct mount for TE-44 turbo.
  • Stock crack-free headers with Remflex gaskets
  • There is no catalytic converter on this car. Only a “test” pipe.
Braking, Suspension, Wheels:
  • stock calipers, discs and drums.
  • Converted to Hydroboost using 1984 TR specified parts (Cardone)
  • Auburn Pro posi traction
  • Wheels Front: 15x7 Weld Pro Star with BFG 235/60 15
  • Wheels Rear: 15x8 Weld Pro Star with BFG 275/50 15
  • Cargo coils and ATR air bag kit in springs, fill valve in rear bumper
Interior/Exterior:
  • Garnet red metallic paint, code 076
  • No 3.8 SFI TURBO emblems on the hood. The rest are correct.
  • Maroon interior with bucket seats and center console
  • T-Type floor mats
  • Crank windows and manual locks
  • Kenwood CD Player
  • VDO Boost and Water Temperature gauges in A-Pillar pod
  • VDO Oil pressure and Casper’s Knock Gauge in console tray
  • Headliner replaced with ABS plastic unit in 2011
  • Interior is exceptionally clean and tastefully modified. The dash is not cracked aside from minute ones around the speaker covers.
  • NO RUST
  • The car was repainted and cleared in 1998 and it still looks the same, i.e. no problems were hiding that reappeared years later.
The Good:
I have owned this car since 1998 and I have enjoyed it very much. It has been treated with the utmost care and has never been rained on since I have owned it. It is stored winters and is only driven on nice weekends. I drive it carefully and never let it sit anywhere that could potentially cause harm to the car, i.e. shopping carts and other human caused mishaps.

The car is absolutely gorgeous, but not perfect. It has won many first place finishes in its class at local car shows, most often entered in a class called Street Machines 1983-present. It gets looks and compliments everywhere it goes and I am very proud to have owned it and maintained it to a level it deserves. The car is not hacked up or shoddily done in any way.

The paint is in immaculate shape. There is no rust on the car at all and VERY few imperfections. It has always been washed and regularly waxed with either Zaino or Meguiars products.

A lot of the listed modifications were done by the previous owner aside from the fuel pump, braking system, headliner, stereo, translator and hotwire kit. Everything done to the car looks like it was done yesterday since I maintain it the best I can. I have changed the fluids at regular intervals and have always used the best. For example, it gets Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil, which has extra zinc for flat tappet cams. Even the coolant and brake fluid are changed before it is needed.

I just went through the brake system in 2010 replacing the rear wheel cylinders and converting to Hydroboost. The fluid is fresh and clean and has been bled correctly. The transmission fluid and filter were just changed in the fall of 2011. The old fluid was not burnt or dirty nor was the pan full of black powder. It still shifts crisp and clean.

The Bad:
The car is not perfect. I will list some areas that I feel need attention. Nothing is a pressing need ... just things that I would have addressed over time. I know it sounds like a lot, but I want to make absolutely sure everything is up front and known since I appreciate the same from any seller.

1. Air conditioning is present but not functioning. I haven’t ever fixed it because I just don’t use it. It has not worked in over ten years, so I imagine the system will need an overhaul and not just a charge.
  2. The steering wheel leather is looking old. Certainly still presentable, but it could stand to be recovered.
  3. The rear speakers (stock 4x10) need to be replaced as a pair. One of them is blown, although you don’t notice it much with regular volume levels. The Kenwood CD stereo works fine.
  4. It does leak a little bit of oil like every other 3.8 TR on the planet. It is definitely nothing above ordinary leakage but something to be aware of. It has had a new neoprene rear main seal a few years ago. I haven’t gone as far as using dye to figure it out since it is just regular dripping.
  5. The driver’s side bumper filler has a quarter sized area where the paint has chipped off revealing the gray primer. This was not due to the quality of the paint. I had a little garage accident and scraped it. Talk about a bad day for me. Otherwise, the fillers themselves are still in good shape since the car never bakes in the sun. You can see the blip in the first picture I posted below.
  6. There is an annoying exhaust leak (a flutter) emanating from what I believe is the driver’s side of the car. The header is known crack free and I had it off and inspected. It was reinstalled using a Remflex crush gasket but the noise remains. I am pretty confident that the header and crossover is sealed. I notice it most when the car is cold, but you also notice it when cruising at low rpm, like in OD. When the car is cold, it will produce a chirping flutter that goes away when the engine heats up. I have not been able to adequately diagnose and fix this problem. I have a video of this but I am not sure if much can be determined from it. It is located here.
  7. The car really needs to be tuned correctly with a scan tool. It runs well, but I do not feel like it is running at maximum potential.
  8. Needs a catalytic converter if your state requires it.
  9. Still has the Canadian KMH speedometer, so you have to squint to see the tiny MPH reading. You get used to it quickly and it is kind of fun when passengers think you are going 85 in the city.
Asking Price:
$ 12,000

I will never find another one like it and you will have a gem. I have been totally honest in my description of the car and have given the good and the bad. PM me with any questions or for contact info.

You can read more about the car by visiting http://www.cedarcrestspeedlab.com
Many pictures are available there.

I have not gotten the car out of storage yet but plan to get it ready to roll very soon. The rain every single day has put a damper on those activities.

Dsc00701.jpg

P1010003.jpg

IMG00166-20100502-1218.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P5010143.jpg

welds.jpg

project-complete2.jpg

finallycomplete.jpg

headliner-complete2.jpg

This is a movie depicting the fluttering noise I described in "The Bad" I know it is not turbo sneeze.

This is how all for sale adds should be written. Very detailed and informative. Super nice car too!

Appreciate the comments. I have always taken pride in car ownership. I was so anal (I hate that word) about this car that when I broke the heater box cover when replacing the heater core, I searched out a replacement and had a new Canadian emissions sticker made for it by a very talented decal maker. Looks 100% authentic.

Price must be too high. The car is out of storage and I have been driving it around quite a bit. I forgot the feeling when people stop me to ask about it. I even had a guy want pictures of it at Barnes and Noble on Sunday. No one gives a crap about my Mustang Cobra but this car gets attention everywhere it goes. Fun.

Price must be too high. The car is out of storage and I have been driving it around quite a bit. I forgot the feeling when people stop me to ask about it. I even had a guy want pictures of it at Barnes and Noble on Sunday. No one gives a crap about my Mustang Cobra but this car gets attention everywhere it goes. Fun.

Don't think the $$ is too high...[NEVER duplicate it for that money]. Could be, vacation time is on us, and the price of gas, air line tickets, motels, etc is getting insane.
Once all the brats are back in school, maybe things will pick up.:D

GLWS:cool:

That's a beauty, I wouldn't take anything less than your price (which I think is too low to begin with).