1987 Grand National with T Tops in central IL $19,500

BennyBuick

Car Is Sold

I really don't want to do this:(, Lord knows I don't, but here for sale is my Buick Grand National.
Only reason for selling is to mend my marriage, and this is part of the deal we mediated:giggle:(n), otherwise no way no how would I sell the car!

The engine and tranny both have less than 8,000 miles on them and boy is it built right. $25,000 invested in the engine and tranny builds. Engine tuning was done by Julio from Alky control in Florida, where the car originally came from. Alky control unit has only ever had 100% methanol run through it. Knock is a non issue. Tranny shifts hard and fast, and it has a beautiful crisp feel to it. Car is dialed in and runs like a freight train. The turbo spools so fast it seems like turbo lag is a myth. Electronic Greddy boost controller allows you to switch boost profiles on the fly. Street tune is 19-20 psi, race tune is at 25 psi. My friendly local mechanic ran a couple pulls on his dyno to check the tune when I first got the car. With simulated road resistance and other features turned on, the car put down 448 hp and 555 ft lbs of torque. He said he could turn those features off to inflate the dyno number to show an impressive printout but I passed on it. These are real world figures on a dyno that, rumor has it, shows a bit lower number than some other shop's dunks. The 255s it rides on are not going to put this power down without feathering the throttle. I tried a couple times to launch the car from a stop and have never even gotten close to being able to without the tires just shredding. Even if you feather it enough to leave a stop without spinning the tires, if you don't slowly roll into the throttle until will past 2nd gear, it'll shred em. The turbo comes on so hard and fast I just gave up trying. Most all my fun has been roll on throttle accelleration. Theres been plenty of times when giving friends a ride in the car, that cruising at 55mph, high boost setting at 25psi, and it'll spin the tires for a bit before it hooks up.. AT 55mph!

This car is very mechanically sound and only has a couple small trivial issues:
1) As with almost all turbo buicks running lots of boost, it drips a spot of oil here and there. Its a small and more than reasonable amount for a car pushing 20-25 psi. Everyone I've been around thats familiar with these cars has said that it ain't nothin' . I was concerned about it when I got the car and was told that its perfectly normal and acceptable.
2) When running the A/C, condensation drips out of the floor vent on the passenger side carpet. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
3) Power steering pump is about the last thing on the car that needs replaced and is about to go. I have a new one sitting on the shelf and will be installed soon.
4) There is an airbag on the rear passenger side, It doesn't hold air for very long anymore. I never cared because I never raced the car so I never did anything about it and don't plan to.
5) This isn't an issue, but more of a result of high boost. When using the higher boost setting at 25psi, the driver side air breather has a tendency to get blown off the valve cover. When this happens, it is always laying in the same spot, with a bit of oil mist to clean up. Some knurling on the post to create some friction would go a long way i think instead of the smooth finish that slides on the oily rubber grommet. I cut bigger slits in the layered rubber grommet to relieve more boost pressure in the crankcase to help combat this issue and it helped some. But it did come off once since then when I got on it super hard to take down a brand new modded Camaro SS, see the Kill Fish section for the story.

Interior is very nice in the car. The front seats and carpet are brand new. The rear seat is original and shows some light wear but presents well. Door panels are nice but not perfect, but I have brand new replacements new in the box if you want it perfect. I never installed them because I like the worn in ones better, has character. Dash is not cracked by the speakers like they usually are. Has auto meter boost gauge in single pillar pod and matching water temp and oil pressure in lower console pod. There also is a fuel pressure gauge under the good. Scan Master in its usual spot above the heater and air controls. Air blows cold and was recharged right before I bought the car. Alky control box is also in its usual spot between the dash and radio housings. Ash tray has the 3 switch panel. One operates the electronic exhaust cutout and works perfect. One operates the line lock for front brakes. I've only ever used it once when I first got the car to check that it worked properly and it does perfectly. #3 switch isn't hooked up to anything. Billet black shifter etched with Grand National. T Tops are in nice condition, but the handles rattle like they did from the factory. Has anyone figured out how to rectify that. It's one of my gripes about the car. Rubber seals are new and T Tops don't leak one bit. Windows are tinted all the way around and done nicely. 20% i believe. Car has a nice audio system installed. I have original tape deck if you want it. Pioneer CD player, newer tweeters, speakers, amplifiers, and a single 12" kicker sub are nicely and professionally installed. Sub is light and doesn't weigh it down at all and is secured to the trunk floor tightly as are the amps. Gets plenty loud and clear enough to enjoy music with the T tops off yet isn't obnoxious and boomy like a teenage kids rattler. Trunk does NOT rattle when you turn the bass up for a bit of boom. I've been told buy the previous owner that the car has been dynomatted as well, although I never saw any in the exposed trunk.
A couple interior blemishes to note: 1) some jacka$$ that owned the car at one point must have installed a Tachometer and there are 2 small, superficial yet noticable holes in what is otherwise a beautiful condition dash. I never understood why someone would clutter these classic dashes with a tach unless you built a drag race purposed car.. 2) the lower center console trim piece below the shifter on the passenger side is cracked. it is a clean straight crack and no one notices it. It looks like it was made that way. 3) rear seat fabric has very light sun fading and an old barely noticeable stain 4) Trunk has the regular pathetic thin carpet and not the nice full trim carpet that's available. So trunk sides and rear seat are exposed in the trunk. I was always going to do that nice trunk liner carpet but never got around to it. 4) at the end of last fall, I was listening to music quite loudly, and the sub amp shorted out and I believe it's fried. It was an entry level kicker amp that was probably very cheaply made. I am willing to replace this before the sale if a buyer wants me to. Otherwise, I'll let the next owner choose what to replace it with. The pioneer amp that runs the other speakers is great though, and probably much better built.

The Good:
The performance. The car is exhilarating to drive and performs about as good as can be with the stock block in a reasonable & streetable setup. The transmission feels absolutely bulletproof and will be reliable for a long time to come. Engine is done right! Knock is an absolute non issue so long as you have good fresh premium fuel and methanol doesn't run dry. This thing will out accelerate just about anything on the road and will do so reliably. My mechanic is very impressed with the car and gives it a very clean bill of health and so will you or your mechanic, I can guarantee.
Steering is tight and crisp especially for a G Body. Upgraded parts and much time and attention was given to this and it shows. Much better steering feel than they were from the factory. Very predictable and controllable under power, and relatively little slop compared to how these were originally.
Brand new one piece rear bumper filler from SpoolFool installed. This replaced a less than stellar quality 2 piece that just drove me nuts.
This is a drivers car, meant to be driven! Which brings me to the not-so-good...

The Not-So-Good:
This is not a show car. You can take it to a show, but its not going to win a cosmetic award here. The body and panels are straight and true, but not without surface blemishes and a ripple here or there. The paint is decent and presents well from about 6 feet away. Up close, you will find some imperfections. It absolutely does not need a paint job, I'm just nitpicking here and want to be upfront that if you are looking for a perfect paint job with mirror glass finish, no ripples, chips, or blemishes, this isn't it. I have, however, seen worse, much worse, many times over again. Its still probably better than what they came from the factory with, man the original paint on these was crap. The worst part is the rocker panels below the doors have some cracking and it is chipping. This area could use a refresh.
Hood liner is not original and is kind of a hack job custom made afterthought. But it works, and most people don't notice until I point it out. It's always kinda bothered me, but its better than nothing.
And the big one for me... the brakes have not been upgraded other than bigger rear drums off of an S10 for a bit less fade and bit more bite, and it has a new slightly oversized booster which helps a small tad. It brakes well for what they are and has steel braided lines to the calipers. Pads, shoes, and rotors are good. If I was keeping the car, my next project on this car would be fitting some newer modern brakes. A car with this much power should have a couple grand invested to bring the brakes up to date with modern technology in the form of multi piston calipers and bigger rotors.

I just tried to submit the post and I'm over my character limit for a post so i'm breaking it up, to be continued below..
cheers

Last edited:
I Have a log book that recorded maintenance and upgrades from previous owners and has many entries and receipts.

Car Has fresh header, waste gate, and turbo gaskets.
Have brand new high quality Taylor plug wires on the shelf ready to install

Original wheels are included and have good tires on them. 275 drag radials are installed on the rears and are just about slicks purposed for the drag strip, but they are old and haven't been driven on since before the rebuild. They do hold air perfectly all year though. Front tires are good.

The wheels installed on the car are beautiful black powder coated GTA wheels with polished chrome rims. The previous owner paid a ton of money to have these rechromed super nice. They are great and look amazing with the turbo six icon in the center hub covers. Tires have plenty of tread on them with less in the back than the front.. big grin

I purchased the car from a fellow member here on turbobuick.com. The engine build, interior, tranny, and tuning were all done by fellow members here as I've come to learn as they've PM'd me. There is almost nothing on the car that hasn't been upgraded or replaced. It has been a very reliable car, especially for an old buick. No real gremlins in this car to speak of and it has treated me right. The most trouble I've ever had with this car is a blown wastegate gasket and a loose wire on the brain box of the ALKY control. Both of which were quick and easy fixes.

The car has never been drag raced, abused, or mistreated. I always wanted to drag race it, but never got the opportunity, and frankly, I didn't want the abuse that drag racing stresses on the drivetrain. The traction that the drag strip offers just punishes a drivetrain, but It is definitely built to handle it though. The previous owner had all the work completed shortly before he was forced to sell the car because of a divorce. I've owned it for 2.5 years. Its been a summer fun car for me and of course has never seen winter or salted roads. Its only seen rain twice since I've owned the car when I got caught in it on a small trip and got a good bath immediately after.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of stuff but this description is getting pretty long so any further questions and interest just let me know. You can PM me for my phone number if you want to talk about it. I really hope to find a good quality home for this car and I'd love to sell it here on turbobuick.com to a member. I'm not listing it anywhere else for now, I'm hoping a fellow enthusiast can take over ownership and enjoy this car as a driver. Its so much fun and has about as much power as you can reliably pull out of these engines without getting too crazy. I've been in a lot of fast cars throughout the years, my father was a buick dealer and had a grand national in the 80's until he got his hands on a GNX. He had #124 for a decade. Also had an 89 20th Turbo trans am and a 10th anniversary as well as many other cars in the collection at one time. I've been in a lot of corvettes and highly modified ricers and although I've never dragged this GN, I can tell you with confidence this should be a mid to low 11 second car with an average driver.

Please, any questions just ask.

Cheers all, and God Bless

Last edited:
20160624_184124.jpg
20160624_184057.jpg
20160624_184107.jpg
20160624_184139.jpg
20140925_112659.jpg

Last edited:
Ty Dhos1. Also, if anyone wants to chime in as to wether or not I have the car priced appropriately, feel free to do so. I'm no market expert, all I know is what I paid and what I have in it. So if any veterans could weigh in that know the market could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Pricing a car such as your GN is all relative. You'll get a dozen different views and opinions on what it's worth. For me, I look at the overall condition, options and "goodies installed". In that case your GN is worth what your asking. Others like stockers (boring) and indeed stockers seem to have a higher value compared to modded cars. It's all in what any particular person is looking for. But i'll say this, your GN looks pretty clean, and nicely modded and IF I were looking for a GN, id be all over yours. But since I all ready own one I'm not looking. It's a shame you have to sell, but we can all understand why you are. Been there, done that too. The wife now enjoys 'our' GN but there was a time when I too delt with the "you pay more attention too that damn car then me", LOL! GLWS

Pricing a car such as your GN is all relative. You'll get a dozen different views and opinions on what it's worth. For me, I look at the overall condition, options and "goodies installed". In that case your GN is worth what your asking. Others like stockers (boring) and indeed stockers seem to have a higher value compared to modded cars. It's all in what any particular person is looking for. But i'll say this, your GN looks pretty clean, and nicely modded and IF I were looking for a GN, id be all over yours. But since I all ready own one I'm not looking. It's a shame you have to sell, but we can all understand why you are. Been there, done that too. The wife now enjoys 'our' GN but there was a time when I too delt with the "you pay more attention too that damn car then me", LOL! GLWS
Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your input

1. Beautiful Call and If my Mustang Sells soon Id be interested.
2. I dont see a price other than $25,000 invested in the Drivetrain part at the top but its a long read lol.
3 I was gonna say screw the woman and keep the car, BUT THEN! I saw the baby seat in the back of the GN! UH Im right in the same deal as you My Race car is for sale or trade because my WIFE hates going to the track and has turned my 7 year old Son against it as well. (B*tch) and Im sick of of the "Its ok to go hun.you can go run your car for the day we will find something else to do" then gone for a few hours and phone blows up "WHEN YOU COMING HOME YOU ****** Cheating on me ***** ***** " You get the idea. Im now in this only for my son and that's it.
I hope your doing for your child or really love the woman and can make it work (Mine never will shes a complete psycho!)

If you really want to get it sold I would list it on the Facebook pages. I have had way better luck there. My last to were both sold to guys from the Chicago area and I am also in Central Illinois.
Just my opinion but you might sit on it awhile at $19500. These cars move fast when advertised in the 16-17k range. It just all depends on if you want a quick sale or top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Beautiful Call and If my Mustang Sells soon Id be interested.
2. I dont see a price other than $25,000 invested in the Drivetrain part at the top but its a long read lol.
3 I was gonna say screw the woman and keep the car, BUT THEN! I saw the baby seat in the back of the GN! UH Im right in the same deal as you My Race car is for sale or trade because my WIFE hates going to the track and has turned my 7 year old Son against it as well. (B*tch) and Im sick of of the "Its ok to go hun.you can go run your car for the day we will find something else to do" then gone for a few hours and phone blows up "WHEN YOU COMING HOME YOU ****** Cheating on me ***** ***** " You get the idea. Im now in this only for my son and that's it.
I hope your doing for your child or really love the woman and can make it work (Mine never will shes a complete psycho!)
i was lol literally when i read this.. My wife is an absolutely amazing person and rates as close to zero as is possible for a woman on the "crazy" scale.

Price is in the thread title, not the body, sorry bout that.. $19,500. i will consider reasonable offers, but thats pretty close to what id have to have for it. ive had a few people interested that have PM'd me that I need to call today. I don't need to sell right away, and I could certainly sit on it for a long time if I had to.. I own it free and clear, and I don't particularly need the money, but I am starting to get ideas of what to replace it with in terms of the requested "more reasonable family vehicle" category.
The quicker it sells, the better off my relationship is. She would flip head over heels if she saw me follow thru with this quickly, but honestly, I don't see the need to bend over backwards to get my freakin pride n joy sold on account of her bleeding vagina! Ok Ok, rant over... for now. Hey look, now I made myself Lol literally!

There is a central IL buy sell trade site that my wife and I have done a lot of stuff with on Facebook. I've both bought and sold plenty on there, and i did think about that to get word out. I did put a small listing with hardly any info. I pretty much listed it as 1987 buick Grand national, if you want more info or pics, head over to turbobuick.com for the thoroughly detailed description and pictures. I stated that they'd have to create a login to be able to view it. I'm pretty adamant about not selling this car to a dip$hit that is going to run it into the ground. That's why I'm only listing it here. At least here, I know that interested parties have a plethora of quality info available to them and if they are on here, probably pretty well acquainted with the ins and outs of a turbo buick. As great as our cars are, they are certainly not without quirks at times and there has to be a reasonable expectation of what these cars can and can't do and what it takes to maintain them and keep them as reliable as an old 80's platform can be. I'd be terrified to sell it to a 20 something kid that saw Black Air, got excited and had the money to buy whatever felt good at the time only to not have a clue what responsible turbo buick ownership should be and not bother to get educated. I've seen too many awesome cars, and other kick ass man toys, just run into a pile of dog$hit because the owner refused to educate themselves or put some time and tender loving care into anything. My dad and I are huge motorcycle guys.. we buy, restore, and sell old bikes. I'm also a big audio guy, I love old vintage gear and have bought and sold a lot of gear over the years, and I feel the same way about some of these old amps and receivers. If I had an old Pioneer SX-1980 for sale (as if), it'd probably kill me to have the buyer be a rich teenager that was going to set it up in a detached garage to have some audio muscle for his high school keg parties. Which brings be to another point... I would take a Pioneer SX-1980 in a partial trade for the car.. My wife needs more loud music in the house! She'd love it. She'd love it right into a whole new mediation session.. LMAO. Cheers

BennyBuick,

I am new to this forum and I just tried to send you a PM/Conversation with my contact info... I am interested in your car. Thanks.

Car is sold to, whom I believe to be, the best possible new owner I could hope for. Thankfully I didn't have to go outside of this website to sell the car. A Buick enthusiast who will take care of it and make it better has paid for the car and will be loaded on a truck today. Enjoy your new GN Rosey1968. May she give you years of smiles and trouble free miles.. the trouble free miles may be a tall order for a turbo Buick though... I hope you keep in touch with updates of what you are doing with the car. I miss it already and it's not even out of my garage yet.