1987 GN for sale, 11s on stock turbo

murphster

I need to get rid of one of my cars, and I am selling my GN. The car is a beautiful 1987 hardtop GN with 116K miles. It was repainted about 8 years ago and the pictures don’t do it justice. This was a South Carolina car that my dad has had since the late 90’s and I got it from him. Its in excellent shape and you would never guess how many miles are on it. It idles smooth and drives very tight with no rattles. Its mainly stock with a few bolt-ons and the trans was rebuilt by one of the best. I love this car and waited a long time to get it from my dad, but being a new father I need to trim down my arsenal. Since I don’t race this car and don’t have time for cruise nights and shows, the GN is the one to go (although I did get one car show trophy).

Besides looking and driving good, its also one of the fastest stock turbo GNs out there. Its got some of the best bolt-on upgrades you can buy and the results speak for themselves. This is a really nice car that will make someone very happy.

I am asking $13,900

Engine:
-stock throttle body, plenum, pistons, rods, heads, intake, crank, cam
-RJC power plate
-MAF translator, 3" MAF, 3" intake pipe, BuickGN big mouth cold air kit
-rail mounted fuel pressure gauge
-adjustable FPR
-Chrome parts: 3” up pipe, MAF pipe, turbo shield, EGR cover, valve cover breathers, battery strap, radiator mount, brake reservoir cover, A/C accumulator cover, alternator
-new GM radiator overflow and window washer bottles

Fuel:
-36lb injectors
-Walbro hot wired fuel pump
-SMC alky kit

Transmission/Driveline:
-2004R rebuilt by Dynotech/Eric Shertz
-ProTorque restalled D5 converter
-stock 8.5” rear with stock posi
-Metco style driveshaft safety loop

Turbo/IC/exhaust:
-stock turbo, bought new from Postons a few years ago
-stock IC with dutt neck
-stock headers
-3” SS Terry Houston Downpipe with test pipe and QTP electric cutout
-RJC boost controller
-ATR dual 3” SS exhaust with PitBull mufflers

Chip:
-TurboTweak 5.6 alky chip
-23/21 base timing

Suspension:
-stock replacement springs from Kirbans
-stock upper and lower rear control arms with new Energy Suspension poly bushings
-stock rear sway bar
-stock front sway bar

Wheels:
-stock GN wheels, rims and center caps in great shape
- 235/60/15 radials up front
- 255/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials out back, like new

Other:
-mini-starter
-F body radiator
-scanmaster 2.1
-Caspers knock gauge, VDO boost, VDO water temp all on the pillar
-working A/C, very cold
-tinted windows, 27% transmission

-The car went 11.98@108.09 mph with a 1.58 60ft on the stock turbo last year. I only raced it three times ever. The first time was in 2000 when it was nearly stock except for the 36lb injectors and a solid MAF pipe with a K&N. It went 13.9@94mph on street tires and 93 pump gas. I then raced it twice last year in April. It went 12.3-12.4@106-107mph the first time and 11.9-12.0@108-110mph the second time after putting in the mini starter, f body radiator, removing the spare and upping the boost from 20 to 22lbs. Last years runs were on pump gas and alky with the converter unlocked. Besides that I have not raced this car and almost never gone WOT while driving. Mainly have just taken it to some cruise nights and go for a spin once in a while. My other cars are for racing.

-One thing to note is that its a relatively low optioned car with manual windows and locks. I'll try to post up a trunk label picture in the next day or so.

-Besides pictures, I provided links to 3 videos I shot the other day. I just wanted to give an idea of how smooth the car idles and what the ATR exhaust sounds like at idle. From a short distance, the car is quiet. Its easy to make loud with the electric cutout though.

Video 1 - Engine running
Video 2 - ATR exhaust while running
Video 3 - Car idling from about 20 feet away
And here are the pictures:
GN_exterior1.JPG

GN_exterior2.JPG

GN_exterior3.JPG

GN_exterior4.JPG

GN_exterior5.JPG

GN_engine3.JPG

GN_engine1.JPG

GN_engine2.JPG

GN_interior1.JPG

What pat of SC is the car located? I'm returning back to the states (NC) in a month and would like to go and see it if it is still around.

Interested.Where in NJ? Any chance I can come by today and see car? You can PM me the location etc.

Thanks,
Mike

Bump for a nice car. Buyers will have a hard time finding a more straight up guy to deal with than Scott. And he knows his sh$t about TRs.

Good luck with the sale.

Dan

Wish somebody would buy this car already! I would be all over this thing if I didn't just buy one closer.
GL.

glws

Glws Scott and congrats on the baby. I wish I was in the market. I would definitely buy one from you with confidence that all his cars are well tuned. Scott is a real knowledgeable turbo guy and a real gentlemen.

Thanks for the nice words.

I was looking over some of the stuff I have with the car and found a few things that may interest some. Looks like the valve springs were replaced with a set from Kirbans in the late 90s right before my dad got the car. I have the receipt for the few things that were done to the car before my dad bought it like solid MAF pipe, air filter, valve springs, torque strap. In a box are the original valve springs, air box, fuel pump, radio and a couple other odds and ends. I've got some of the receipts for the various parts I've added.

Oh yeah, I also have a nice surprise in the pic below. Looks like it was a SC car its whole life until the last couple years. I also included a pic of the VIN that I took a little bit ago for verification.
GN_Dealer_tag.bmp

GN_VIN.JPG

Original window tag. Pretty cool. I only see 5 options listed: intermittent wipers, rear defog, cruise control, posi, tilt steering column, plus the front license plate mounting. I have the original AM radio in a box. :cool:

Here are some pics of the trunk and underneath the car. While taking a picture, I realized I forgot to mention the car has dual airbags. I had Centerline rims on it for a couple weeks last year and was worried about them rubbing on the outer lip. Not needed with the stock rims though.
GN_trunk.JPG

GN_trunk_label.JPG

GN_under8.JPG

GN_under7.JPG

GN_under1.JPG

GN_under6.JPG

GN_under3.JPG

GN_under4.JPG

GN_under5.JPG

Couple more things. Put a brand new pump in the SMC alky kit last year, hardly any miles on it. Also put on new brake pads last year. I've also got some old school chips that go with it..... a couple Thrasher chips (93 and 100 octane) and a Red Armstrong 93 chip. I think the fuel pump is a Walbro 305. The injectors are the 36# "blue tops". New "Grand National" logo embroidered front floormats were put in a couple years ago.

Some people have been asking me what my bottom line is. For now, I want $13,000. I'll take $12,800 without the Mickey Thompson drag radials as I have some 255/60 BFG Radial TAs I can put on that I just took of one of my other cars.

Would you be interested in trades? I have a couple items I would like to trade for your car.

Thanks NIx