1987 Chip Technology

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
I just purchased an '87 GN from the original owner. This car is 100% stck except for a Kenne Bell cold air kit and CHIP. Those two upgrades were done in 1987. Are the chips of those days made of the same technology as todays chips or significantly different. In other words, should I buy a current model chip? Thank you Drew:)

Yes, you need to get a new chip. Most of the stuff from back then has been much improved upon by todays chip burners. If you like doing it yourself, you can look into one of our kits. If you just want to pop one in, Thrashers are nice, as well as the variety of others from guys like Jim Testa, Jay Carter, Joe Lubrant, etc... Dont worry about trying to get their phone numbers, I'm sure they will post a reply to your thread! (They are all customer friendly)

Good luck,
-Bob

As far as burning my own I can barely do this e-mail and forum thing! Thanks for the advise. I don't know what made me think of it but I'm glad I did. What's different about them? Drew

Back in '87 the extent of what had been altered was trivial - mostly Max Boost #s, Fan On/Off controls, limiters and TCC lockup speeds. In the next few years chip makers figured out how to alter the timing tables, idle parameters and eventually programs came out to allow the DIYer to make chips. We also saw the arrival of thumbwheel chips.

Once that became 'old-hat', a few companies (I am familiar with one in particular) began altering the software included on the chip. And in the 90's TR owners had the options of anti-theft, 2-step rev limiters, full-time open-loop chips, boost launch control, lean-highway-cruise, gear-dependent boost and timing, shift lites, etc., etc.

The latest significant development in chips was the ability to double the resolution of the MAF sensor and the ability to work with alternative MAF sensors. The latter being of major importance as the TR MAF sensors are no more. :eek:

In summary, I can answer your question as I can answer most questions...."it depends." You probably should acquire a new chip, however, it depends on what you want from your TR as to which chip to select.

Scott231, nice info, clear and concise. I'll do the fuel system upgrades and thats about it. Stock car (suspension upgrades of course but those have little to do with chip choice) I would mostly want a chip that would be safe so as not to hurt anything maintaining driveability. Suggestions? Would this same description to any of the chip venders get the same unbiased opinion? Thanks drew

Originally posted by Drew L
Scott231, nice info, clear and concise. I'll do the fuel system upgrades and thats about it. Stock car <snip> I would mostly want a chip that would be safe so as not to hurt anything maintaining driveability. Suggestions? Would this same description to any of the chip venders get the same unbiased opinion? Thanks drew
If you do the fuel system upgradeS and "accidentally" loose the catalytic converter ;), I would highly suggest the street Thrasher with the Anti-Theft feature (how many readers saw that coming? ;-)).

You can manually maintain a safe boost level by making the wastegate actuator rod adjustable.

Seeing how you are not using a fancy aftermarket MAF, don't seem interested in any of the "hi-tech" racing chips and are interested in "maintaining driveability" with stock injectors, I see no reason why a chip maker would recommend any chip but the Thrasher, except to make a buck.

I sell the Thrashers at a minimal cost $25. NO ONE else sells such a feature-rish chip for so little. Now once you get into racing the car, chips can become a whole new ball of wax.:confused:

Originally posted by TurboJim
I *LOVE* feature rish chips!! <grin>

Ya, thinking about fish, and chips when ya wrote this?
Or working on a Honda, LOL.

UNBIASED THRASHER ADVERTISEMENT:
Try the anti-theft street Thrasher. Take it from this "chip junkie" who has driven the Pit Bull, Kenne-Bell, Red Armstrong, Jay Carter, and of course stock chips, you will LOVE the way your car drives with the Thrasher, I would not *think* about parking a Grand National in a public lot without the protection of a Thrasher.

Originally posted by Ken Cunningham
Try the anti-theft street Thrasher. Take it from this "chip junkie" who has driven the Pit Bull, Kenne-Bell, Red Armstrong, Jay Carter, and of course stock chips, you will LOVE the way your car drives with the Thrasher, I would not *think* about parking a Grand National in a public lot without the protection of a Thrasher.

The Bailey Extenders have that also.

Try the anti-theft street Thrasher. Take it from this "chip junkie" who has driven the Pit Bull, Kenne-Bell, Red Armstrong, Jay Carter, and of course stock chips, you will LOVE the way your car drives with the Thrasher, I would not *think* about parking a Grand National in a public lot without the protection of a Thrasher. What sets Thrasher apart from th rest in your opinion? Drew

What sets the Thrasher apart from the old tech chips (stock, Kenne-Bell, Pit Bull) is that it allows more boost with less detonation and the open-loop idle is smooth as glass. What sets the Thrasher apart from the other new tech chips (RA, JC) is the part throttle drivability. With the other chips, my car seems to dog it on hills. When I ease into the throttle there is a great lag in response, not turbo lag necessarily, because I'm still under vacuum. I don't know the technical reason for it, and your car may be different, but with the Thrasher I can smoothly accelerate from any condition. The boost comes on very linear. Also with the Thrasher I see no detonation on the Calif crap-gas at 15# boost. With other chips that I've tried I get detonation at 14#.

I went to Thrashers site. It is very informative and inexpensive as you mentioned. Thanks for all the help guys. Drew:)

The BEST chip I ever ran was a Jay Carter Variable Timing chip. It uses the boost sensing harness from TurboLink (You don't need to have turbolink, but it is a good scan tool) and a MAP sensor.

I was able to run more boost than with my Thrasher 92 and the car felt better all around. Best part is the car (86GN with just the fuel system upgraded and a K&N) ran 13.1@104 with the street chip on cruddy 92 octane gas. With slicks, race gas, race chip it only went .3/2mph faster.

Jay would better explain it, but basically it senses how much boost you are running and adjusts the timing accordingly. Jay can also set you up with anti-theft in the chip too.

The only thing I liked about my Thrasher was that the car averaged 27mpg on a 800 mile trip. :)

Originally posted by TType85
The BEST chip I ever ran was a Jay Carter Variable Timing chip. It uses the boost sensing harness from TurboLink (You don't need to have turbolink, but it is a good scan tool) and a MAP sensor.

I have recently ordered one of Jay's VT chips and the necessary supporting hardware from Ken. Ken's stuff got here first. Looks pretty simple, no cutting, splicing etc... But I still have no idea of what plugs into where. Can somebody give me some installation instructions for the boost sensing harness and map sensor?

Thanks.

The only thing I liked about my Thrasher was that the car averaged 27mpg on a 800 mile trip. :)

:eek: That's exellent. I get 22 or so with the Thrasher.

I tried the thrasher -- in my stock setup it was really nice. When I went to my 009's i've been playing around with a bunch of Jay Chips.

I'll go to the VT chip after I do my tranny work and get a new turbo/MSD 50's.

Jon

Originally posted by lyonsd

I have recently ordered one of Jay's VT chips and the necessary supporting hardware from Ken. Ken's stuff got here first. Looks pretty simple, no cutting, splicing etc... But I still have no idea of what plugs into where. Can somebody give me some installation instructions for the boost sensing harness and map sensor?

its pretty simple acutually.

The 3-prong part on one end goes to the 3-bar MAP sensor, the two 3-prong connectors go to the TPS (one plugs into the TPS and the other gets the plug that goes to the TPS) and the other connector on the end goes to the MAT sensor.

Chris

Where's a good place to mount the 3-bar MAP sensor?

There is also a T-connector, which obviously spices the MAP sensor into a boost/vacuum line somewhere. Would that go to the same line the boost gauge is spliced into?

the way the harness is designed, you put the MAP sensor where the 2-bar one was for the analog dash cars or the lil hobbs type switch for the digital dash cars
anywhere where it reaches is fine

Originally posted by TType85
the way the harness is designed, you put the MAP sensor where the 2-bar one was for the analog dash cars or the lil hobbs type switch for the digital dash cars
anywhere where it reaches is fine

I'm looking at the sensors page and can't find a 2-bar MAP sensor. And I don't know what a hobbs-type switch is. My car has a digital dash.

For the hot air cars, on this page I see there'sa MAP sensor over on the passenger side wheel well. Is that where it goes in my case?