1978 Pontiac Trans Am $6000

87Limitedwo2

1978 Pontiac Trans Am. This is the real thing. It is an automatic with a 400 CI Pontiac and it has the Shaker Hood. It's all there. This car appears to be a survivor with only minimal work done over the years to keep it going, showing 95k miles. Runs, drives and stops. Please don't waste my time if you are not serious or don't have the $ to buy it, I don't need the $, looking to free up some garage space. I have @ $6000 in it.

Body: Car has been painted and isn't a great job. To be nice it needs stripped and repainted. It shows ok as is and has some patina if you like that sort of thing. The doors open and close properly with NO hinge sag that's common with these cars. The rear frame rails are 100% solid with NO rust. I fixed the back of the drivers 1/4 with an aftermarket patch panel, body work still needs done but the metal work is welded solid and done right. I also fixed the tail panel behind the rear bumper, metal work done, needs body work done. There is some rust behind the right rear wheel that I have not gotten to. I have a patch panel for this but don't think its bad enough to need it. There may be some rust under the back glass but I see no holes looking up through the trunk. The rockers are 100% solid. Will need some body work to the bottom of the right fender. I fixed 2 small holes in the drivers floor. The rest of the floor and the trunk are solid and incredibly nice. It need both right side fender flares. The left ones are decent. I have 2 used rear spoiler ends that are very nice that go with the car.

Engine/Engine Bay: This looks mostly untouched save for replacement parts. It appears to have had a reman alternator put on it at some time. I replaced the power steering pump and glass beaded the brackets and painted it while it was apart. I also replaced the brake master cylinder. The AC belt is missing. It appears to have had a fuel pump in the past. I replaced the heater core and the heater hoses. No coolant leaks are apparent. It starts fine, runs decent and fairly smooth. I have not had it out on the road.

Interior: The headliner has been done but is not the original style material although it looks nice. The plastic panels will need re-colored and I have Dupont Vinyl paint to go with the car that should be enough to do what's needed. The dash pad is near perfect. The console is very nice. I replaced the shifter bezel, the console lid and the storage box. Needs carpet and at least the drivers seat fixed. I have a used drivers arm rest in blue but its faded and will need re-colored. Needs a right arm rest. It does not have a radio in it but I do have the radio trim bezel and knobs. Steering column is tight. Gauges appear to work properly expect for the fuel level gauge (erratic).

Chassis/Suspension: All stock/original. I replaced the rear brakes. It stops like it should. I can find no loose parts on the suspension. Car sits level as I can tell.

Wheels/Tires: It has 3 of the honeycomb wheels on it (not original to this car). It has 1 of the original Pontiac rallys on the car and the other 3 are here and will go with the car.

This car will need trailered to its new home. It will drive on a truck/trailer without issue. I have no "road experience" with this car which is why I say this.

There aren't many of these left that are as solid and original as this car.

I have a fresh Pontiac 400 and a good set of high performance factory heads (also done) that could go with this car for an additional price but are NOT included in the auction.

Additional Parts that Are Included: Used left armrest, OE battery hold down, use Hooker SuperComp Headers (nice), 3 remaining Pontiac Rallys. Left & right used rear spoiler ends.

I have more pictures and can supply what you need but please don't waste my time if you are not serious or intend to "Low Ball" me, I don't need the $.

Attachments

• P1010693.JPG
    P1010693.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 250
  • P1010665.JPG
    P1010665.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • P1010661.JPG
    P1010661.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
  • P1010687.JPG
    P1010687.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 225
  • P1010694.JPG
    P1010694.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • P1010682.JPG
    P1010682.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 228
  • P1010692.JPG
    P1010692.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
  • P1010685.JPG
    P1010685.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 231
  • P1010676.JPG
    P1010676.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 221
One of my older cousin's was given a new '77 T/A shortly after 'Smokey and the Bandit' was released. Her mom, my aunt, let me drive it to the store for more adult beverage's when I was just 13yrs old, I was on top of the world and scared the livin' crap out of her. I am to honest for my own good but I would prefer this vehicle over any GN.

My friend in NOLA also has a unrestored survivor....
https://www.facebook.com/ryan.allen.hall/videos/t.1110941653/10201098630763840/?type=2&theater

LOVE 70’s Trans Ams!

My friend Dan and i have built a few over the years.

1970 formula 455
1975 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am Bandit edition 400
1978 Trans Am 455 {not factory engine)
1980 Trans Am 401

We had lots of fun building these over the last 28 years and they are fairly easy to work on.

Nice Car
GLWS

D

LOVE 70’s Trans Ams!

My friend Dan and i have built a few over the years.

1970 formula 455
1975 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am Bandit edition 400
1978 Trans Am 455 {not factory engine)
1980 Trans Am 401

We had lots of fun building these over the last 28 years and they are fairly easy to work on.

Nice Car
GLWS

D
I put a new copper heater core in it. Had to remove the right inner fender to access one of the heater hoses. The console and right kick panel have to be removed to get the heater box out. Guess if you did these on a regular basis it would be easier. All else if typical GM and simple and easy that I can tell. Im just used to the G bodies I guess.

Hope you were able to sell this car. Great price! GLWS if it hasnt sold yet

What kind of high performance heads. Im looking for a set of 455ho heads for a 72 trans am. Im really looking for the whole engine but thats a long shot. This guy has an BBC LS7 still in a crate that he will trade for a complete 455ho engine with 72 date codes. Im not hijacking your thread I though I might as well throw it out there.