1972 Corolla - built by Terry Pfaff

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
OK guys...stop laughing...
I know I've been delinquent in my kill section responsibilities while getting my business up and running, and you'll be happy to hear, things are going very well. I'm actually net cash flowing better now than I was working my full time job as a Sr. Director of a global organization....but still working on growing the business for the long term.

The chicken Coop is still in the garage with the broken transmission (most likely the input drum) but I did re-insure it this week and am getting ready to take it to Lou for a resurrection soon.

OK so what's up with the 72 Corolla....am I right?
Has meanchicken fallen so low that he has to race ancient 4 bangers that can't get out of their own way on a hill?
Answer = no...

This particular 72 Corolla is the one many of you have seen me mention from time-to-time on the forum or in face-to-face chats. It's the car that gave me my first hit of boost...cuz yes...it was turbocharged.
It was also waaaaaaay ahead of its time. My brother owned it back in the late 70's early 80's and I have vivid memories of that little Corolla ripping the doors right offa muscle cars in street races.
Well...the guy who built it found me on this forum after all these years and PM'd me with the details of the build, and gave me permission to share...
So enjoy...here is a copy paste of his break down of this monster of a midget...

"Nice Buick! It’s always good to see a small motor putting the smack down on larger stuff!

The Corolla was a 72 and indeed a 1600 (2TC) and it was basically a stock engine and drive train. The only modifications made were, a large port head (only produced in 71/72), Custom 9:1 Forged pistons and an “o” ringed block. The rear end was a 3:90 and the trans was a stock 4 speed which limited top speed to around 110-115 MPH at 7k RPM (but it would get there real quick). During the engine build the head ports were smoothed and port matched and the cam timing retarded 8 deg

The turbo was the largest IHI RHB6 available at the time which flowed around 275 CFM at 73% eff. It included a compressor seal for draw through operation. The car had several different carburetors including a Webber 28-32 down draft with a modified power valve, a Webber 40 DCOE side draft modified to operate as a 2 bbl with vacuum secondary. It also had a Holley 350 2 BBL at one time. I think that when Jeff had it, It had the Webber 28-32 [Jeff actually had it with the Weber side draft]. The distributer was modified to allow for full mechanical advance by 3500 rpm with 15 deg initial and 35 total. It used a Vacuum advance / pressure retard canister from a later model Celica that allowed up to 10 deg retard in relation to boost. A vacuum switching valve would switch from ported vacuum to pressure retard at 2psi. Water injection was incorporated and turned on at around 12 – 13 PSI

The exhaust manifold was custom and the exhaust system was 2.5 inch with a turbo muffler

When I sold the car to Jeff it was actually detuned to allow for more reliable operation it produced around 250 HP at 18-20 PSI

In its peak tune with the DCOE and 28-30 psi it produced over 300HP with an open exhaust. It was a blast to drive, no other small car could touch it in the mid 70’s and most muscle cars were simply outmatched.

Being a draw through system I could produce over 20 PSI with the clutch in by simply pumping the throttle 5-6 times at a stop light prior to melting tires. Muscle car guy’s were wondering what the hell I was doing revving my motor in a Toyota … then they found out!

In 1984 I got out of the Turbo business and into something more profitable. Cars are a lot more fun when they are a hobby!

Tell me more about your Buick It sounds like it’s a lot of fun. It’s much easier today with the availability electronics, fuel injection and such to modify and produce big HP numbers. I’m still surprised that many of the old turbo tricks and technology of the past have been forgotten and not utilized. Ford seems to be the farthest ahead with the new twin scroll 2.3 in the new mustang but they still haven’t figured out the advantages of draw through over blow through. With the new 4 cylinder, they have figured out the importance of exhaust back pressure vrs. Boost pressure in relation to cam timing and overlap. It also sounds like their new 180 deg crank V8 will be ideal for twin turbo’s using the same exhaust manifold technology. We used this same technology in 1982-83 on our twin turbo BMW and Ferrari 308 systems. It made a huge difference in performance per pound of boost pressure!

Sorry about the rambling, as you can see I still love BOOST and performance with efficiency in general!"

So there you have it guys...
If you live in the Bay Area and ever see a canary yellow 72 Corolla roaming the streets with large hand formed fender flairs and a cool looking front spoiler that shapes nicely up into the front flairs....hang on....it's boosted... ;-)

Miss you guys...
Do you miss me?
Don't get all sloppy....you'll make me cluck... ;-)

Last edited:
Here's a pic Terry just sent me. Not a lot of pix of this car available, unfortunately.
It's a little beast. :devil:
Toyota.png

Attachments

• Toyota.png
    Toyota.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 173
We couldn't find a way to mount our video camera inside the car back in the late 70's without using heavy equipment....and giving up room for three passengers...
2014-02-13_15-47-36.jpg

Man being in Miami there is a huge market for those corolla's and older mazda's. Well im one of them ive had my share of starlets and rx7's my buddy just bought an old rotary pickup its real nice! I know a guy close to me who has a warehouse full of mint 70 yota's and mazda's i have to get me one sooner or later. Love it love the innovation back then you guys were way ahead of your time!

Man being in Miami there is a huge market for those corolla's and older mazda's. Well im one of them ive had my share of starlets and rx7's my buddy just bought an old rotary pickup its real nice! I know a guy close to me who has a warehouse full of mint 70 yota's and mazda's i have to get me one sooner or later. Love it love the innovation back then you guys were way ahead of your time!

Well if you get ya one...now yo have a recipe for a little screamer. :vamp:

Glad to hear you and your biz is doing well, Mr. Chicken. Hurry up and go visit Poppa Lou! This place just ain't the same without ya(y)