1933 Pontiac strsight 8 engine oil

obrut

I have a 1933 Pontiac with a straight 8 thats been sitting for about 3 years. It ran when it was parked and I would like to get it running this year again. I can't seem to find the weight oil that should be used in the older engines. Anyone on the forum know about these older engines or can point me in the right direction? I don't think 10w30 is going to cut it, and the oil thats in there is probably from 20 years ago when my father in law bought it. Thanks for any help.

Agreed!! Brad Penn oil will be perfect for this application with it's increased levels of zinc. The have straight weights, or multi grades, even a straight 30 break in oil.

BACK IN 33 MOST OIL WAS STRAIT WEIGHT ... 30 OR 40 SHOULD BE OK .. I'D GO 40 .. I STOCK BRAD PENN IN ALL WEIGHT'S INCLUDING BREAK IN OIL

In 33 the SAE rating was or would be SA which means no additives in it, and it had ash. If everything looks good the Brad Penn oil would give you the most protection for an engine this old, even if it was rebuilt many years ago.

get a straight 30 weight oil- Wal Mart has it from a few different companies and it says it's only supposed to be used in lawn mowers and what not, but it has an SA rating on it..

Thanks for the help, I'm going to run straight 30 or 40 weight, there is a place down the street from me that sells the Brad Penn oils.

I've ported a Pontiac Straight eight "block". That was an interesting adventure. The guy went with EFI, too. My first ride to school was a '51 Buick with a straight 8. SMOOOOOOOTH runner that was. Hated it, cause it wasn't a hot rod. (my buddies called it the TITmobile, 'cause it was big and round) Then I stepped "up" to a '39 Pontiac with a 250 Chev six/TH350. THAT was a cool car. Buick Riv. wheels just looked at home on the "Gangstermobile". (that's what all my friends called it) Some of the cars I drove as a teen I would love to drive these days.

The "correct" oil would be a NON-detergent oil. Not sure anyone makes that anymore. Add Brad Penn and run it for a very short time and change oil/filter and rinse and repeat. You could start it up with el-cheapo oil for about 20 minutes and then change to Brad Penn.

I've ported a Pontiac Straight eight "block". That was an interesting adventure. The guy went with EFI, too. My first ride to school was a '51 Buick with a straight 8. SMOOOOOOOTH runner that was. Hated it, cause it wasn't a hot rod. (my buddies called it the TITmobile, 'cause it was big and round) Then I stepped "up" to a '39 Pontiac with a 250 Chev six/TH350. THAT was a cool car. Buick Riv. wheels just looked at home on the "Gangstermobile". (that's what all my friends called it) Some of the cars I drove as a teen I would love to drive these days.

The "correct" oil would be a NON-detergent oil. Not sure anyone makes that anymore. Add Brad Penn and run it for a very short time and change oil/filter and rinse and repeat. You could start it up with el-cheapo oil for about 20 minutes and then change to Brad Penn.
they still make non detergent .. they call it lawn mower oil ..