18's and backspacing.

boostingbuick

Going to be buried in this.
Looking to purchase some 18's and looking for the proper backspacing. Front will be 18 x 8 and rears are 18 x 9.5. I am thinking that it should be 4.5 on front and 4.75 on rear.

I'm in Albemarle NC (near Charlotte). Three questions everyonewill need answer to help you:
1. What spindle are you running? G-body spindle moves wheel out (?) so BS changes
2. Shaved rear frame rails? If so, can move wheel inboard some. Also, if shaved, can run wider wheel.
3. Shaved rear wheel opening trim?

Conrad

I'm in Albemarle NC (near Charlotte). Three questions everyonewill need answer to help you:
1. What spindle are you running? G-body spindle moves wheel out (?) so BS changes
2. Shaved rear frame rails? If so, can move wheel inboard some. Also, if shaved, can run wider wheel.
3. Shaved rear wheel opening trim?

Conrad

I will agree with you on this.

1. Stock spindles and the hubs with rotors are at stock width.
2. No. Way to concerned with the buckling quarters.
3. No again. Not into cutting the body up.

Looking to purchase some 18's and looking for the proper backspacing. Front will be 18 x 8 and rears are 18 x 9.5. I am thinking that it should be 4.5 on front and 4.75 on rear.

The wheel sizes you have picked are a great choice. The backspacing you have listed is spot on for those wheels. You will not have to worry about anything rubbing, or trimming anything with those widths and backspacing. And if you would upgrade brakes, you should still be okay.

Plus, you will have a nice staggered wheel/tire look, which I think look nice on our cars.

Rob

I see the post is a little old but for what its worth. I've just installed 18x8 front with 4.5 bs and 18x9.5 rear with 4.5 bs. No issues on the rear but I do have a some rub on the front inner wheel well covers. Not sure if its old springs or what. It only happens on big dips in the road. Tires are 245/40 and 275/40. Hope this helps.