1800 HP Twin Turbo Grand National!

Way too much spiked koolaid consumed during that decision.
He's in for a very expensive adventure that's for sure.
:confused:

Way too much spiked koolaid consumed during that decision.
He's in for a very expensive adventure that's for sure.
:confused:

You may be the one on spiked koolaid! :)

Joe is a very talented fabricator and has done much of the work. His ambition is always pushing the "envelope" for better parts and solutions.

He is also a very smart guy as the complete Coyote engine was $5K, and has also was able to work with a few suppliers that donated some parts!

A few turbo Buick items like a billet fuel sender, lots of custom headers, other items, and his wiring knowledge and skills is another major talent as has done many GN builds with me from basic street cars to 7 sec. GN's!

He also has done some parts like a billet PS reservoir for the GN, and many items for other makes of cars.

No disrespect intended.
I can appreciate what it took to do that swap, as I just recently myself got out of the Coyote world and back into the Turbo Buick world last year.

I guess what I was trying to say was, he's opened a huge can of whoop ass that will make crazy power. And doing so with a Coyote is a big learning curve if he's never done it. If he's got the experience and or connections to get it sorted and tuned, it's going to be a lot of fun. However, I would recommend keeping a close eye on the 6R80 once he's making 1000+ rwhp. Even with a fully built 6R80, they don't tend to last longer than a full season of racing before having issues. Most of the serious Coyote guys who are making 1000+ rwhp with single or twin turbo combos, have learned this lesson and either convert to a properly built TH400 or a Powerglide. I'd definitely go TH400 in that car vs a glide.

Again, no disrespect meant.
Guess I should have chosen my words better.

-Patrick-

P.S. I am very glad to see you posting again Nick and hope you are doing good?

Just had to get on your case a little, as I know you are a good guy, and have never seen any disrespect from you! :)

Thanks Patrick, I am doing much better!

Yes, Joe has lots of Ford experience on his Mustang over the years, his recent Shelby had mods, as well as many customer Mustang mods, and some of those street ones run in the 9's.

Joe truly is a badass fabricator.

The car is going to be a work of art.

My buddy did a similar swap with a ford 331 twin turbo to his grand national. Car made 1250 rwhp and went 8.20s not building boost. Car had a stage 2 in it before the swap and went 8.30s. He took a big hit when he sold it. Nobody want a real grand national with a ford motor in it. He would have been better off keeping the s2 motor.

My buddy did a similar swap with a ford 331 twin turbo to his grand national. Car made 1250 rwhp and went 8.20s not building boost. Car had a stage 2 in it before the swap and went 8.30s. He took a big hit when he sold it. Nobody want a real grand national with a ford motor in it. He would have been better off keeping the s2 motor.

PT Barnum had a great saying.

"There's an ass for every seat."

Perhaps your buddy aimed a little low when he sold the car? :)

Joe's car is being built as a showcase for his many talents in fabrication, engineering, and design. I wish I had a quarter of his fabrication skills! I DO have his fuel system tho:cool:
I was a Ford guy before 1987, (imagine why) so what he's doing with his GN makes me grin. As a much younger man, I and some friends put a 351 Cleveland and 4 speed top loader in a 68 Corvette and called it a Italian Ford, mainly to piss the 'vette guys off!! I'm sure Joe's will be much nicer! Cheers!

PT Barnum had a great saying.

"There's an ass for every seat."

Perhaps your buddy aimed a little low when he sold the car? :)

Started @ 50,000 held on for 3 years sold it for 22,000 guy who bought the car put new slicks fixed a boost leak and went 7.70s. Car was on racing junk for a while. He could have parted it out and got more it was a 4 link double wishbone car. No expense spared on it. He had over 150,000 in it. The turbo piping alone was 10,000. But that’s cars, very rarely you make money or break even when it comes time to sell. If it had the twin turbo Duttweiler s2 in it he probably would have gotten close to his asking price. Car would have been faster than the 8.30s but he never put the time in at the track. He has way to many projects going on.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Fortunately I also have a fair bit of knowledge about the Coyote and modular Ford platforms. As Nick has said I've built numerous 8 & 9 sec daily driven Mustangs for several customers all usually with stock engines & drivetrains (with addition of torque converters and then oil pump & timing gears for the engines). I am very well aware of the limitations of the 6R80 trans and will actually be converting it to a 4 speed with the help of Power By the Hour performance (one of my sponsors). They make what's called a 4R200 which makes it a 4 speed auto that is now capable of handling up to 2000ft lbs of torque. As far as tuning is concerned I have a direct line to Jon Lund and he is truly one of the premier tuners of Ford modular engines.

I have no intentions of selling this car any time soon and am fully aware that you never get out of them what you put into them. Cars like this are a labor of love and is a great platform to showcase items I build and manufacture. I know I will have nowhere near $150k into it when done, hell I could easily build two of these cars for even $100k, lol.

Started @ 50,000 held on for 3 years sold it for 22,000 guy who bought the car put new slicks fixed a boost leak and went 7.70s. Car was on racing junk for a while. He could have parted it out and got more it was a 4 link double wishbone car. No expense spared on it. He had over 150,000 in it. The turbo piping alone was 10,000. But that’s cars, very rarely you make money or break even when it comes time to sell. If it had the twin turbo Duttweiler s2 in it he probably would have gotten close to his asking price. Car would have been faster than the 8.30s but he never put the time in at the track. He has way to many projects going on.

Just like your first statement "He would have been better off keeping the s2 motor", your opinion, my statement wasn't rhetorical, it was an opinion. No explanation necessary. :)

My point is that Joe is a badass fabricator, nothing more. I've yet to see someone that can do better work than him, but that's only because I haven't met that person.

There's always someone who's bigger, badder, faster and more talented.......

The guys on this board prove that out on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Nick, with all due respect for you and your friend Joe, did you post this link for our opinions?

If so, I'm happy to offer mine. From the perspective of a Buick Snob. (read this to mean there is no convincing me otherwise and further argument is futile). Warning, I don't usually express myself in such colorful terminology. So please forgive me. Here goes.

Boring. Completely and utterly useless information to the majority of these board members. I couldn't even get past the first two paragraphs. I have sat around watching paint dry and have found that to be more interesting and educational.

What has this guy done to help promote Buick performance? Nothing. So he's a great fabricator. There are thousands of great fabricators. It's good designers we lack (and No. It ain't the same thing). And putting a Ford motor in a Buick is poor design.
And when the money and equipment are available, it makes good fabricators even more common. Why is it so special that a guy can build an 1800 hp Ford motor? Was it to feature his fuel system? So what. I'm mildly retarded and I can spec a fuel system to support 2000 horsepower in my sleep.

TA Performance claims their aluminum block can handle 2,000 hp. But no one has done it yet. So why didn't he use one of those? Maybe you could have sold it to him and convinced him to do something groundbreaking that could make a man out of him.. Not mainstream boring. If he wanted to challenge his talents and prove something, then that's what he should have done. Furthermore, he should have done it on a real budget. So what the motor was cheap? I'm sure those mirror image turbos didn't cost anything either.

Or better yet, prove your a real man like so many dedicated people on this board. Do it on his back, in the driveway, in the Arizona 120 degree heat, with a roll of duct-tape and a wire hanger!

I'm not knocking the guy for having the means to do it in a professional manner, and I actually envy those that aren't forced to work like a fucking animal as I do. I just think if you looking for the recognition of a fancy on-line write-up, then do something, anything, to deserve it. Just one fucking thing.

I'm not even going to knock the guy for building what he likes for himself. That's his business. But that doesn't make it news for the performance world. God knows I've seen a lot of pretty stupid shit. To each there own.

And if you think that this article may have angered me a bit, It has. Maybe because what it really boils down to, is this.......................That fucking motor has no business in that Buick.

Sorry Nick. Just my Opinion.:)

What has this guy done to help promote Buick performance? Nothing.

I'm not even going to knock the guy for building what he likes for himself. That's his business. That fucking motor has no business in that Buick.

Sorry Nick. Just my Opinion.:)

I must say, you're throwing a lot of shade in that post there, NY.

Do you know Joe, personally? There are several items he has fabricated that are strictly TR related and they are very, very quality parts.

He has willingly laid under my car in the AZ heat trying to help me figure out more than one issue, AT THE DRAGSTRIP, when he had his own issues to deal with AND run a private track day HE arranged for a bunch of us.

Just what IS the big ol' difference in an LS swap or a Ford swap? The LS swaps are done all too often, but I don't see you in here blowing up those guys.

I guess I just don't understand your hating on a guy you don't even know, but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, all New Yorkers are straight up assholes from the jump just because, but that's just my opinion. LOL ;)

Last edited:
Just what IS the big ol' difference in an LS swap or a Ford swap? The LS swaps are done all too often, but I don't see you in here blowing up those guys.
Same thing. Do a search. I have had plenty to say about that too.
Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, all New Yorkers are straight up assholes from the jump just because, but that's just my opinion. LOL ;)
Agree. We can be quite confrontational at times. I normally am not though. You should know a lot about me by now. I'm just all Buick nothing else. And I like being that way.
Do you know Joe, personally? There are several items he has fabricated that are strictly TR related and they are very, very quality parts.
I know a lot of really talented nice guys with poor taste. I didn't say he was a horrible person. I just wish his skills were used to build something special. This isn't one of them.