18" wheels to big?

Eversmann79

Hi I bought a 78 Buick regal and someone is selling nice 5 spoke 18 inch wheels Pretty cheap. I was wondering would they be to big if I was going to drop the car 1-1.5 inches and how big of a tire could I fit underneath it with 18 inch wheels? How hard is it to roll the lips to fit bigger tires. Sorry I'm new :) thanks for your inPuts :)

More info would be helpful. Back spacing, width, ect would help decide whether or not they'd work. Honestly if you're trying to run it on a road course the then you'd be fine. Other than that it really may be an issue.

Height wise, they will be fine. Just need to make sure width and offset is ok. I ran 18s on the front.

I am looking for rims right now. Wish I was near there I would jump.all over them! Looks better than iroc wheels!

the bigger the wheel you get, the smaller the brake rotors and drums look..
and since wheels got bigger to clear bigger brakes, big wheels make a car with puny stock brakes look goofy.

the bigger the wheel you get, the smaller the brake rotors and drums look..
and since wheels got bigger to clear bigger brakes, big wheels make a car with puny stock brakes look goofy.

Not gonna argue at all here Derrik. One thing I will point out is that you can run just about what ever size brake upgrade you want.:biggrin:

what size tires would i be able to run one the car though. i dont wanna be running 195/35 all the way around the car.

i looked threw that and didnt see many with my body style. Arent the 83-87's different from 78 and 79? or could i probably run 235's up front with 275's out back without rubbing? im glad you posted, im probably going to go with the springs from your shop^. they still wouldnt rub and cause a bunch of problems?

i looked threw that and didnt see many with my body style. Arent the 83-87's different from 78 and 79? or could i probably run 235's up front with 275's out back without rubbing? im glad you posted, im probably going to go with the springs from your shop^. they still wouldnt rub and cause a bunch of problems?
The springs we offer are for the 78-88 G-Body so they should work. We ourselves have not tested every year but we have for the 83-87 and they work fine.

Scot W.

I like my 18's

I like my 18's but... ... I come from an import background.

So far I started looking for bmw wheels the bolt pattern is only .65 of a mm off. They bolt right up. I cant tell the difference installing the rims.

Now, if you go cheep on rims they will probably not fit right. They will fit too far into the wheel well. So, just know this right off YOU WILL NEED ADAPTERS.

The good news is you can get them made. Bad news their 200 bucks a pair for quality. (that's why I only have the rear adapters and the front sit a little too far into the wheel well and rub at full lock too, not bad though just a touch)

WheelAdapter.com is your number one source for wheel adapters, wheel spacers, used wheels, and wheel studs.

Back to the good news you can find the wheels you want use them too. You just need to do whatever you need to do to get them in:D

Here's a couple pics of mine. I do wish I would have gone the same size all the way around though. The rear's fit on the front too and look great. Just need a lower profile tire for the front if I did that.

Beyern Mesh wheels. Nitto NT555 275.40ZR18 rear 245.40ZR18 front

Sizes Rear: 18X9.5 10mm offset I needed a 7/8" adapter (could have easily did a 1-1/4 to get a closer to the lip look)

Front: 18X8.5 10mm offset with no adapter and looks like the same spacing would work too. Warning though!!! I do have 2002 Camaro discs all the way around(front & rear) and that probably changes the spacing some.

I just gave the specs so if someone asked

Attachments

• 0309101844.jpg
    0309101844.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC02517.jpg
    DSC02517.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC02516.jpg
    DSC02516.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 0924091900.jpg
    0924091900.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 332
  • 1007081132.jpg
    1007081132.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 334
Now, if you go cheep on rims they will probably not fit right. They will fit too far into the wheel well. So, just know this right off YOU WILL NEED ADAPTERS.

The good news is you can get them made. Bad news their 200 bucks a pair for quality. (that's why I only have the rear adapters and the front sit a little too far into the wheel well and rub at full lock too, not bad though just a touch)

Dude I hate to tell you, but you got royally screwed if you threw out 200 friggen bucks for 2 wheel adapters...

DO NOT waste your money on the high dollar adapters... if you're buying wheels cheap enough to need adapters ALL of the billet aluminum will be stronger than the junk cast they make these wheels out of. Get on ebay, search out wheel adapters and be done. I've spent a lot of time around CNC machines and am a certified Weldor, I know metal.

Now that being said, I have some junk 18's that cost me a whopping 600$ for the set and 160$ into adapters and could not be happier. I'll have pics up soon. ;) Worry more about what tires you put on the wheels than the wheels themselves, if you do something bad enough to destroy even the cheapest wheel, the wheel is the absolute least of your worries.

i was doing my research as well the well are kmc stealths. i have not seen one occasion that they are 9.5 inches wide. ive seen tons 8.5 inches wide. how big of spacers will i need for them? i think they have to be 8.5 inches wide unless they have been widened

Adam,
I know I got "screwed" on the adapters. However, The adapters are Hubcentric to the grand national axels, hubcentric to the BMW wheels, lugcentric to the GN axels @ 4.75, and lugcentric to the bmw's 120mm. Not sure if you noticed its a 6.0 LQ4 with plans for a 76mm turbo. Also have quite a bit SC&C gear and drive my car hard in the corners. So, that being said 200 bucks is cheap insruance. Although,I dont plan on spending that much for the front adapters and I'm looking for better prices too.

Thanks