18 psi too much

Ext Gate on a stocker ?? really ?? .. sounds to be a drastic change for such a small problem

Apparently it's not a stocker if he's having these problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the actuator you have on there .. it will take you 10 minutes to have an answer .. the part number is usually on the actuator label.. just post up what it is and you will know whether its a HD one or a stocker .

Port your wastegate hole a little.

I can disconnect my waste gate rod and still hits 19psi with valve flapping wide open.

Does not bother me really because car runs fine with 20psi on street gas.

Apparently it's not a stocker if he's having these problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, that's one of the things I learned about my car at RCG. I thought it was stock, but they showed me that it's not as stock as I thought. I had a full weekend and didn't have time to pull that turbo shield yet. Next weekend I will and then we can revive this zombie thread and maybe even swap actuators. Thanks.

OK, as promised I am reviving this zombie thread. Took the turbo shield off and this is what I have. Is that Garrett turbo stock? This is the wastegate actuator I have. Which one should I replace it with? The one Kirban is selling? Not the heavy duty one but the standard duty one?
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

18 PSI might be to much for the worm clamps I I think.

I have "T-bolt" clamps but I run almost 28 pounds.

Pop that rod off and make sure the flap swings free.

^^^ x2
Pop the rod off the waste gate lever arm to make sure it's not stuck.
With the rod connected remove the hose on the waste gate actuator (backside under turbo), hook up an air compressor with regulator to the waste gate actuator, starting at 0 psi slowly increase the pressure to see when the lever arm starts to move. If the lever arm does not move and you hear a hissing sound coming from the actuator, more than likely, the diaphragm is cracked and a new actuator in in order.
This will make sure the system works together.
You can adjust your boost this way as well (ballpark starting point)
Lengthen the rod for lower boost and shorten the rod for higher boost.

Without some trouble shooting you will be spending money that could be used on upgrades.

Ok. But is this the stock turbo in the photos?

Your turbo does look stock, however, so does a TA49.
A TA49 does not make anymore power unless your running more than 21- 22 psi boost.
With your mostly stock set up I highly doubt it's larger than stock.
There is more benefit from a cold air intake system than a larger turbo at less than 21- 22 psi boost.

I see you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a fuel pump hot wire kit, maybe a volt booster on the back of the alternator (hard to tell) as well as the adjustable waste gate actuator.

Last edited:
If I lower fuel pressure might it bring boist down a little? What if I take the power plate off? Also, if i buy the little plastic wye I can make the rest of the wye hose out of vacuum hose, right.

I'm going to order the wastegate actuator from Christina right now. I appreciate the comments.

If you lower fuel pressure you will lean out the tune a potentially do some damage. Don't do that.

Run down the list. Un hook that actuator and make sure the wastegate moves freely. Thats step 1

If I lower fuel pressure might it bring boist down a little? What if I take the power plate off? Also, if i buy the little plastic wye I can make the rest of the wye hose out of vacuum hose, right.

I'm going to order the wastegate actuator from Christina right now. I appreciate the comments.

Dood... You really NEED to perform some homework.

Start searching & reading before you cause any damage. Here is another very helpful site: http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/index.html

I got this car at 17,000 miles and it now has 32,000 miles on it and I still don't fully understand it. I think I should sell it and get something with a V8 and a quadrajet on top of it.

I got this car at 17,000 miles and it now has 32,000 miles on it and I still don't fully understand it. I think I should sell it and get something with a V8 and a quadrajet on top of it.
Damn, are you old enough to even know what a quadrajet is. A quadrajet ain't shit compared too a turbo.