16volt or 14 volt battery

turbobitt

Has anyone successfully run a 16 or 14 volt battery under continuous operation ? I'm thinking of upgrading and already have built an adjustable voltage 200 amp CS144 alternator.
My concerns are that the recommended charging voltage, based on info from XS Power, is about 2.45 volts per cell. That would mean for an 16 volt 8 cell battery the charging voltage would be upward to about 19.6 volts. For a 14 volt 7 cell battery it would be 17.15 volts.
With the possible XFI and ignition voltage limitations I'm thinking that it would be safer to keep the overall voltage below 18 volts so the 14 volt option is looking a little more feasible for continuous use.

Any thoughts ?
AG.

Allan
In my fiends NHRA Super stocker we tried the 16 volt deal and it was real expensive. We had 2 batteries and had to buy a dedicated charger etc etc. We never really found anything in it. We did notice some weird stuff periodically with our e-shift modules and MSD stuff. The peanut bulbs in our autometer gauges took a beating also. This was a carb car also.
The solution was going back to 12 volt batteries and using a volt booster box for the ignition only. This showed about .06 in et doing A-B-A testing.

Allan
In my fiends NHRA Super stocker we tried the 16 volt deal and it was real expensive. We had 2 batteries and had to buy a dedicated charger etc etc. We never really found anything in it. We did notice some weird stuff periodically with our e-shift modules and MSD stuff. The peanut bulbs in our autometer gauges took a beating also. This was a carb car also.
The solution was going back to 12 volt batteries and using a volt booster box for the ignition only. This showed about .06 in et doing A-B-A testing.

I already have an XFI controlled bolt booster but was thinking of converting to 14 volt battery only because at this point I may need a new battery. So basically I'm just looking at the option....
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people use a 16v which charges around 18- 19. The XFI is good to nearly 24 volts. The only downside I had with mine was the taillights are so bright they look like the brake lights are on, until you hit the brake lights which are much brighter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Most people use a 16v which charges around 18- 19. The XFI is good to nearly 24 volts. The only downside I had with mine was the taillights are so bright they look like the brake lights are on, until you hit the brake lights which are much brighter

Cal what do you think about the XIM at 19 volt charging?
My primary concern is with the Pantera coils. They warned not to exceed 28 volts but I don't know why. I can re investigate that part again and see specifically why there was a concern.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen issues with high voltage on those coils. I would highly recommend you step it down below 16 volts. Perhaps, Manny or George can say which step down box they used on their 16volt CNP setup

I have seen issues with high voltage on those coils. I would highly recommend you step it down below 16 volts. Perhaps, Manny or George can say which step down box they used on their 16volt CNP setup

Cal,
Thanks for the insight. This is where my specific concerns are. I will follow up with an inquiry with the Pantera coil designer and see what his feedback will be.
I was figuring with a 14 volt battery and charging voltage of about 17 I would have some safety margin but I'll have to investigate. Keeping it below 16 would be tougher and add complexity with a 14 and 16 volt battery.
AG.

This is where a vendor request would come in handy, I know that there are capacitors and step down transformers that will basically use a dial in voltage regulator to dial a specific volt and amp range in for applications like this, Bob Baily is likely a great source for custom applications as this.. Turbo Bob? I see this post is kind of older but maybe someone has developd the fix for your application..