160 stat

jlat

hello people: I talked about this in the past and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It's recommended that I use a 160 and I do. I was out driving today, air temp. in the 40's. My coolant temp. does not hit 160 while driving and only goes above 160 driving in town with lights. My thought is go to a little higher with the stat so the temp would be up for heat and less variable temp ranges. I believe when I first got my TB the srat was 190. Temp reading taken
on scan master.
IBBY

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
they had 180 degree ones originally....many threads/discussions on which to use...depends really on driving climate your in and achieving optimum operating temps

corsair231

Don't forget about the chip and electric fan turn on. Depending on how it is written in the chip you may end up with your fan running when you don't want it to. Not that it would really matter much but just be aware that is just one thing that is temperature dependent. I've heard of a couple of people who switch thermostats and chips for summer and winter.

jlat

hello people: I know I talked about this in the past. Thanks GD and I did call Erick and he could change the chip parameters but I did nothing but maybe in the future.
IBBY'

jlat

hello people: I had a plan to just block of part oy the rad. in the cooler months but it's not that easy so I canned that idea. The rad is hidden back there if I remember right. I did that to a van I had but the heat always sucked. That was driving 90% hy way.
IBBY

Mr.Spool

hello people: I talked about this in the past and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It's recommended that I use a 160 and I do. I was out driving today, air temp. in the 40's. My coolant temp. does not hit 160 while driving and only goes above 160 driving in town with lights. My thought is go to a little higher with the stat so the temp would be up for heat and less variable temp ranges. I believe when I first got my TB the srat was 190. Temp reading taken
on scan master.
IBBY
on a 109 the cars run better cooler,160 stat.

corsair231

hello people: I had a plan to just block of part oy the rad. in the cooler months but it's not that easy so I canned that idea. The rad is hidden back there if I remember right. I did that to a van I had but the heat always sucked. That was driving 90% hy way.
IBBY
I have done that before as well. You see a lot of Semi trucks with the adjustable grill coverings in the winter for this same reason. The key is that you have to block off way more of the radiator than you think you would, especially with highway driving. It does get to be a pain if you have mixed driving. Just right for the highway will run warm in city traffic.

Even with a 160 stat, my heat has always been warm enough. Instead of the radiator side of the equation have you considered the heater core side? Does your core flow well enough? It may need flushing. Do your vent /blend doors work correctly? Heater control valve good? Just a few things to consider.

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Make sure the low heater vent isn't blocked by wires etc.

Double check the heater water valve for full flow, check the hoses for hot water in and out of the core.

My WE4 always had crappy heat due to blocked lower vents with aftermarket stuff in the way.

GN I'm driving now has decent heat with the 160 stat. and Alradco radiator here in CT.

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Pretty sure they originally came with 195* stats. I will argue the benefits of a 160* stat. It’s not good for anything. 180* minimum IMO

Blocking the radiator is piss in the wind..
The stat will regulate the motor temp.

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
Pretty sure they originally came with 195* stats. I will argue the benefits of a 160* stat. It’s not good for anything. 180* minimum IMO

Blocking the radiator is piss in the wind..
The stat will regulate the motor temp.
I was pretty sure it was 180 ..read thread below .....Eric normally programs fans to come on 165....think factory chip came on at 185...not sure on the factory kick on...I also took a 180 out of my original car....