16 volt alternator

jay dcpt

Have a champion alternator relocation bracket. Want to run a 16 volt deal for Holley dominator. Any of you know where I can get an alternator to fit that bracket? Is it just a standard GM alternator that was on a bunch of different models. Basically they want alternator specifics and I don't know what type of alternator was on a gn.

Ya can buy bigger injectors and pumps, it sounds like an elegant solution to a nonexistant problem.
Just my opinion...
I've had 8 and 9 sec street cars and low/ mid 7 sec stuff and have never needed it, but to each his own thing.
TIMINATOR

I just run a mild street car with stock electrical, so I am not advocating one way or the other, more voltage requires less current to get the same power. I could see a high rpm application benefiting. The biggest area would be ignition, especially an induction ignition, less time to saturate the coils would equal more rpm capability. As far as I know, most get along fine with the stock system.

Honestly I just want to try it because I have never done it. People I talk to that have love it. This car is just for racing. Basically just a toy I'm putting together to have fun with. And possibly learn some more.

I always tell my customers:
Build within the limitations of your knowlege.
Race within the limitations of your check book.
Plan your build.
Build the plan.
Save the "innovations" until you have a safe, solid, reliable, repeatable, baseline.
JMHO from over 50 years of racing, and making a good living in the racing business.
One of my customers has been building and attempting to run a PRO MOD for over 20 years!
He is always on the edge of broke, can't run within 2 seconds of " making the field," is constantly frustrated, and "hates his car."
When asked why he doesn't run what he can afford, his answer is:
"BUT I HAVE A PRO MOD!"
Nuff said.
TIMINATOR

Get a powermaster alternator with a variable voltage regulator. When you decide that the voltage is not making a difference, you can turn it down. I run my street car at 14.9 volts and it works great.

Get a powermaster alternator with a variable voltage regulator. When you decide that the voltage is not making a difference, you can turn it down. I run my street car at 14.9 volts and it works great.
Those are the ones I was researching

You have "target fixation."
You WILL know the downside when the next guy beats you with actual speed parts.
I've never been beaten by an alternator, chrome, or a nicer trailer.
Your car, your choices.
JMHO
TIMINATOR

You have "target fixation."
You WILL know the downside when the next guy beats you with actual speed parts.
I've never been beaten by an alternator, chrome, or a nicer trailer.
Your car, your choices.
JMHO
TIMINATOR
All right man thanks 👍

I switched to 16v in 2004 after running my engine on a engine brake dyno and hearing and seeing the difference it made. Plus your windows will work WAY better lol. I have many many years and street miles running a 16v with no downsides I ever ran into.

Powermaster adj voltage regulator is definitely the way to go. They will make you one with the CS144 case but it is expensive. They came up with a smaller CS130 case that will work with the Champion bracket and is half the money. Part # 578028

Here it is on my motor
0318231608a_HDR.jpg

That being said, since I switched to an electric Meziere water pump and I am planning to do long drives with the car in Drag-n-drive events I am being told I would be better off with a 12v system since the alternator charges at 18+ volts it can be hard on electric motors like the water pump for extended periods of time. Plus if I have an electrical/alt/battery issue on the road every parts store has parts for a 12v system and no one has anything for 16v. So I may be switching back to 12v for DD events.

I switched to 16v in 2004 after running my engine on a engine brake dyno and hearing and seeing the difference it made. Plus your windows will work WAY better lol. I have many many years and street miles running a 16v with no downsides I ever ran into.

Powermaster adj voltage regulator is definitely the way to go. They will make you one with the CS144 case but it is expensive. They came up with a smaller CS130 case that will work with the Champion bracket and is half the money. Part # 578028

Here it is on my motor
View attachment 392901

That being said, since I switched to an electric Meziere water pump and I am planning to do long drives with the car in Drag-n-drive events I am being told I would be better off with a 12v system since the alternator charges at 18+ volts it can be hard on electric motors like the water pump for extended periods of time. Plus if I have an electrical/alt/battery issue on the road every parts store has parts for a 12v system and no one has anything for 16v. So I may be switching back to 12v for DD events.
Maybe you can talk to someone knowledgeable from the manufacturer, I would think that the 16v system would generate less heat and be better for the motors since it will draw less current to do the same work, but may also have to do with how they are regulated.