14 bolt heads on 8 bolt 109

Ernie GN

Just floor it
Is there any problems or modifications that need to be done when using a 14 bolt head on a 8 bolt 109?

What happens to the extra holes?
Needs to be plugged?
Or does the head gasket take care of that?

Nothing. The extra holes just sit there waiting for you to upgrade your block

When buying heads it makes sense to buy the 14 bolt heads even if you’re just using a 109

The 14 bolt champions with the scorpion rockers is a nice setup

Is there any problems or modifications that need to be done when using a 14 bolt head on a 8 bolt 109?.........

You did not specify any info about the heads?

If the heads are alum and have large valves, you may have an issue with valve-to-cylinder interference?

Most alum heads have wider valve spacing than the stock iron heads, and would also use larger valves. Just be sure to check this closely.

For 3.80" bore we would would use a 1.94" intake valve at the most, but usually limit the intake valve to 1.90" for better flow.

A 1.96" or 2.02" intake valve will flow like crazy if you have a 4" bore on a 4.1 block! as it un-shrouds the valve-to-cylinder issue!

Another comment, all TA alum heads are 14 bolt configuration. The SI head can be used with stock rockers, which I prefer over the Chevy Scorpions rockers adapted to a Buick head.

Last edited:
You did not specify any info about the heads?

If the heads are alum and have large valves, you may have an issue with valve-to-cylinder interference?

Most alum heads have wider valve spacing than the stock iron heads, and would also use larger valves. Just be sure to check this closely.

For 3.80" bore we would would use a 1.94" intake valve at the most, but usually limit the intake valve to 1.90" for better flow.

A 1.96" or 2.02" intake valve will flow like crazy if you have a 4" bore on a 4.1 block! as it un-shrouds the valve-to-cylinder issue!

Another comment, all TA alum heads are 14 bolt configuration. The SI head can be used with stock rockers, which I prefer over the Chevy Scorpions rockers adapted to a Buick head.
Yes you are right
Sorry
Gn1 aluminum heads

It just seems that everybody has 18 bolt heads on hand ready to ship.
I'm getting ready to buy some soon.

From what you told me I will be good.
Thank you!