12" Brake upgrade

Dino1

Well I finally got my LS1 brake upgrade completed, and I have to say that the work was well worth the effort. Had to wait about a month to get the front brackets, and that was the biggest hold up on getting the job done in a timely mannor. The differance is simply amazing the stopping power these have over stock units. I did end up using drilled and slotted rotors both front and rear, got a smokin deal on new ones from a place called Brakeoverstock.com. 117.48 for all four shipped to me, I got them in two days, and they were the same Powerstop rotors Summit sells for 139.00 each.
I have about 600.00 in the whole upgrade, I purchased used stuff off a wrecked Firehawk with only 33,000 miles on it for 275.00. This stuff looked almost new, the rear pads looked like they never stopped a car in their life so I reused those. However I did not gut the stock combination valve, I purchased one for a Disc/Disk GM vehicle new for 50.00, another good deal, and the brake bias is dead on, and my peddle stays good without any spongy feel to it. It has the proper residual pressure on the pads to keep them in contact with the rotors, 2 lbs for disc brakes. Anyone doing this upgrade needs to use the proper valve, gutting is not the right way to do it.
For those who are contiplateing doing a brake upgrade this is the way to go, a complete upgrade for 600.00 is not a bad deal. Unless you are doing some type of Autocross or seriouse road raceing, spending 2500.00 for a Bear or Aerospace brake upgrade is just purely insane. For everyday driving, or an occational pass down the 1/4 mile these things will stop a freight train. Just wanted to pass on my exsperiance with this project and my brake pads are not even completely bedded in yet.

This is my next project for sure. I have been researching and i know exactly what i need and now its just a matter of the $$$!!

Thinking of doing to same upgrade... Would you happen to have a list of parts and what make and year they came off... any special work that had to be done... i would appreciate it.

eric

This is definitely the best bang for ther buck brake upgrade. Ive dont this to a few cars. Nice call.

Hmmm.

I may be selling my brackets and hubs. Wanting to move in a different direction, since I have to take everything apart anyway. Even got the long studs as well.