12.89 @ 110.45

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Took the car out for the second time today. The first road test revealed several problems, but today went better. I made 3 test passes with a Dragy device.

0-60 1/8 1/4
1st pass: 5.07 8.61@86.76 13.07@110.62

2nd pass: 4.98 8.61@88.34 13.03@110.98

3rd pass: 4.74 8.45@88.29 12.89@110.45

This is on a dusty 2-lane blacktop @ 5K elevation. The run is not flat. It slopes downhill & then back up. The blacktop is some of the best in the area. Fairly small aggregate & not very old or traveled upon. The run is short though. I think I'm letting out right before a full 1/4 or close. I have no data logging. I'm trying to monitor Scanmaster, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge on windshield & WB O2. Also have Casper's audible alarm. Car has 136K miles. Vacuum assist brakes hold to about 5# or so.

Here is what I've done since May. (taken from previous post)

Pypes 2.5" exhaust
3" Down pipe
New trans mount bushing
New bushings in rear axle
Metco lower trailing arms
Baseline suspension kit & adj. upper trailing arms
H&R rear bar
Swap timing chain & replace oil pan gasket, new water pump, re-work oil pump/ports
H&R motor mounts
RJC lower pulley
Pulled heads & performed Ricky Rooter home porting, new Ferrea valves, had guides cut for clearance, surfaced .004", ARP studs
Replaced OEM turbo with 5858
TA Perf D-side header & x-over
RJC plate in intake
62mm TB
80# inj & new chip
Razor's kit
New belt, hoses, vacuum lines, check valves, billet vacuum block
WB O2 sensor, boost gauge, gauge mount
Caspers audible knock alarm & fan control harness
Racetronics inj harness

Also have ALRADCO radiator, dual Spal fans, trans cooler, RJC 325 FMIC, hotwire, adj FPR. Rear tires are 255/45 ZR 17 Continental Extreme Contact Sport. I know that's not the best for a good launch, but it is what I have. The class I'm entered in (Real Street) does not allow drag radials or slicks.

Looks like I'm only producing about 14# of boost so far. I attempted to shorten the waste-gate rod but I have run out of room on the female portion. Thinking of cutting some off the end of the threaded rod. I also have a used RJC boost controller, but I have zero experience with that type of set-up.

I have 14 days until I'm supposed to leave for my first 1/8 mile street race. Seeking advice on how to improve the car & myself before then. Those numbers I posted above are not that impressive. I'm also wanting to avoid destroying the transmission. Coolant temperature reached 193 today. Trans fluid flows through rad & then into aux trans cooler between FMIC & rad. Before this version of the car I rarely hit 180. I ran the fans until I dropped below 165 before each pass. ATS flashed HOT on the Scanmaster, so that is +150 degrees. The race I'm attending will be at 3.5K elevation. Temps? Who knows, could be 60, could be 100.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Forgot to include 3.5" LS MAF & Translator.

Trans & TC are OEM original with 136K miles.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
As I've said before, I'm not here to blow sunshine up anyone's ass...so I'm gonna tell you not to go.

1. You don't wanna destroy the trans. With 136 miles on it I pretty much guarantee if you made a WOT blast with PL you'd already see it slipping on the 2-3 shift.
2. Alky comes on at 6 lbs so you're drowing it in fuel at only 14 lbs.
3. You have no idea what you're fueling is.
4. 1/8th mile leaves no room for error. You have to be lightning fast on the lights, the car has to be able to launch well, and you have to have the low gear fueling/timing dialed in.
5. Get the car sorted out...and get out to the nearest track and get some seat time...and practice practice practice.

GNVYUS 1

Boost issue, you probably need to tighten the screw into the boost controller. Start slow with 1/8 turn and test, another 1/8 and test. You'll eventually start to notice boost jumps up and now you're pressing onto the internal adjustment spring and it's adding psi.

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Ricky Rooter seems to have done some good work, that transmission needs a proper rebuild before the race. :eek:

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
Donations
$25.00
You're not ready to race. You need to a Powerlogger and fuel pressure transducer. Your temps are way too high. You're unable to adjust you're boost correctly, If your trans is stock it will start slipping very soon. Better to back out than destroy your engine and/or trans being in a rush. There's no shame in that. You could smoke your exhaust to look for leaks as a start.

SLIC V6

Donations
$125.00
You received some great advice from the Racers above.
If you are still going to go forward with the 1/8th mile street races, here is my amateur's advice:

1) No more 1/4 mile testing. The stress that you are putting on your trans on the top end of the run as well as the chance for detonation under the higher load are not worth it. I'm glad that you ran a couple 1/4's though, to show your terminal/trap speed. The 110 is a very healthy speed for your combination on only 14lbs of boost. (My opinion) This could be a mid to low 12 with even a 1.8 short time.
2) The 1/8 mile races are usually won and lost in the reaction time and the 60 foot time. Practice your reaction time as much as possible. I'm sure that racers like Mr. Spool and Scooby can help you with some tricks here.
3) Find the nearby road that will have conditions similar to where you will race, if possible. I'm going to disagree with Scooby here and ask you to stay away from the Track. The track will give you a false sense of traction and launch that you will not have on the street. Do a burnout and check the footprint that your street tires give you. Adjust your tire pressure as needed. Darker in the middle and not fully dark on edges means you are over inflated. Darker on the edges and not consistent across the tread means that you are too low.
4) Now that you have your street tires set, set your Dragy for Sixty Foot runs. Practice these on the street and move to fresh pavement for each run. There is no need to run out full 1/8 mile tests until you have your 60 foot down.
5) Have FUN and save up for the trans and PowerLogger that are suggested above!

ENJOY!!!
- Jerry Rieger

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
That is pretty fast for 14 lbs of boost.
Your reply caused me to review a few things. You are correct. I was above 14lbs. Let's chalk it up to lack of experience.

I am now concentrating on the 1/8th. I'm pretty slow in the 1/8th. 8.29 @ 90.73 & 8.46 @ 91.01 are my two bests so far.

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
The street tires are making it doggy off the line and that affects your ET big time. Holding 5 lbs on the brakes is ok but since they are not sticky tires, it is probably the most you would need without spinning like mad. Is this on 93 octane? It sounds like it is running pretty good for what you have done.

You can get better trap speeds if you can hook up a switch to lock the converter in 3rd gear but there is a big risk of smoking the trans.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Eric can lock the convertor via his chip. When I ran LU's I had him burn the chip to do it. If memory serves it locks in the mid 80 MPH range. I doubt it would help much in the 1/8th.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
The street tires are making it doggy off the line and that affects your ET big time. Holding 5 lbs on the brakes is ok but since they are not sticky tires, it is probably the most you would need without spinning like mad. Is this on 93 octane? It sounds like it is running pretty good for what you have done.

You can get better trap speeds if you can hook up a switch to lock the converter in 3rd gear but there is a big risk of smoking the trans.
No 93 around here. Only 91 with 10-15% ethanol.

The rear tires are a smoke show if I don't baby it off the line. The shift into second gear cuts loose also. Kind of just ease into it until I'm well into 2nd, then let her eat. Boost gauge hits 14-15# quickly. Takes a bit longer to hit 20#. Cut 1/4" off the end of the waste-gate rod & now hit 24#. I'm not going any higher. I know I'm really pushing limits here. Future plans are built trans, proper T.C. & engine management.

The car hauls ass on the back half. Almost motorcycle like acceleration. Stuff happens fast!

Best 0-60 = 4.50
Best 1/4 = 12.62 @ 112.83

These times do not include any reaction time.

ttypewhite

If what I am reading is correct, you have a 5858 turbo on the car with a stock tranny and converter?? That's a recipe for disaster. This isn't gonna end well....

Mr.Spool

Best 1/4 = 12.62 @ 112.83
112mph at 24psi is low mph on a 58mm turbo and ported heads unless the car is 3800+.
Your back half gains from 1/8 to 1/4 were around 20mph from your post above
Trans is probably slipping already
I asked a few questions before you haven't responded so setting up the car for a street race does require a totally different approach especially when you aren't on a tire meant for straight line acceleration or size limited for class racing.
Focus should be on suspension travel and weight distribution of the car after you make the upgrades others have suggested for the trans and converter.

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00