10pt cage and dash removal (or not)

WildGS

Anyone with a 10 pt cage able to remove the dash? Or is it stuck forever once the cage goes in? Can't really find any info. Most cages I see the front bars go down right in front of the dash and seem to lock it in place forever.

lilbowtie

As TURBO6 said it has to be designed with dash removal in mind. Putting the cage in front of the dash starts interfering with getting in and out of the car and in most cases interferes with sight of the tree. I decided on mine to keep the the front bar as close to the A pillar giving a good line of sight to the tree and the dash just needed to have a slot cut for the bar which caught most of the speaker grill which was notched to fit. The small piece of the dash cut for the bar was RTV'd back in front of the bar and looks great. This was done on my Sonoma and plan on doing the same on my Regal which is currently got a 6 point

cage.JPG

cage2.JPG

WildGS

I would like to go behind the dash, but looking at it there is just not enough room in there to get a bar in and clear the windshield without just hacking the end of the dash off. I haven't been able to find pictures of anyone with a behind the dash installation on a gbody. Guess it's just not feasible. My second thought is to split the dash entirely at the steering column so that each half can come out some how so I can still access wiring and HVAC items behind it somehow.

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Mine is welded in front of the dash. Only both side bars are removeable.

Claude.

Attachments

• DSCN4898.JPG
    DSCN4898.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • DSCN4914.JPG
    DSCN4914.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 121

Justin Terry

I have a Wild Rides Race Cars built cage. It goes down in front of the dash. It will require cutting the top for it to go through. And your front speakers will have to be removed. They have pics on their website and facebook page.

WildGS

Guess from what I am seeing there is no real clean option for a cage that allows for full removal of the dash once installed.

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
WildGS'', is there a specific reason why you need to be able to remove the dash? I'm asking because I've had my car since new and never had to remove it... :unsure:

WildGS

WildGS'', is there a specific reason why you need to be able to remove the dash? I'm asking because I've had my car since new and never had to remove it... :unsure:

This is a bit of an odball build. Pretty much a scratch build car with a 3800 series too swap so wanted to have access for wiring and trying to keep a clean install on things. I am probably going to have Holley EFI setup and all the associated items for that and just wanted to see if anyone else had issues. I may be able to reach everything I need by tearing out the cluster section of the dash once the cage is in place. So I guess just trying to figure what I need in place before the cage is installed if I can't ever pull the dash again.

Justin Terry

My car is getting a complete new painless harness and Holley dominator. The dash comes out with the cage I installed and mentioned above.

Attachments

• 148277.jpeg
    148277.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 148278.jpeg
    148278.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 79

WildGS

My car is getting a complete new painless harness and Holley dominator. The dash comes out with the cage I installed and mentioned above.

Justin how does the driver side look? looks like the parking brake pedal will interfere. Curious how tight the cluster surround and the hole for the cage are. When I look at it I don't see alot of room in there.

Justin Terry

Justin how does the driver side look? looks like the parking brake pedal will interfere. Curious how tight the cluster surround and the hole for the cage are. When I look at it I don't see alot of room in there.
I'll see if I can get a pic of that side. The car is a couple hours away getting wired.

I removed the parking brake pedal. I dont have one anyways. I put a Strange S60 in the car with disk brakes and didnt see the need in one anymore.

lrayzer

Shop Dawg Emma
I'll see if I can get a pic of that side. The car is a couple hours away getting wired.

I removed the parking brake pedal. I dont have one anyways. I put a Strange S60 in the car with disk brakes and didnt see the need in one anymore.
Wild Rides makes a nice behind the dash cage, my race car has it in front of the dash and I hate it, but was able to remove the dash, at least with the glass out !

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Wild Rides makes a nice behind the dash cage, my race car has it in front of the dash and I hate it, but was able to remove the dash, at least with the glass out !
Bout time you showed up, around here!!:D

lrayzer

Shop Dawg Emma
Bout time you showed up, around here!!:D
been busy with other people projects ! non turbo G-bodies

I have a Wild Rides Race Cars built cage. It goes down in front of the dash. It will require cutting the top for it to go through. And your front speakers will have to be removed. They have pics on their website and facebook page.
I was wondering about clearance to my pillar gauges or if they will be obscured, was thinking of coping that down tube, and rying to work in the speakers LOL, extra fab is always fun.