10 Years Ago My GN Was Stolen, Now a new one is on it's way

l3lue

10 years ago I had a 87GN and it was stolen and I was young and didn't have insurance on it, it was my daily driver for about a year before it was stolen. Missed the car every day for 10 years, yesterday I won a bid on a stock 87GN and will be picking it up this week. Really looking forward to it - I really want to go through the car and make sure it's not going to blow up on me. The car currently doesn't even have a scanmaster on it, so that will probably be my FIRST mod, what should I look for? Here is the trunk lid codes please let me know if you see something that pops out, and here are some pics.

Attachments

• $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 166
  • $_12 (2).JPG
    $_12 (2).JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 172
  • $_12 (3).JPG
    $_12 (3).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 152
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 170
It looks like it has a replacement parts store MAF on it. I would spring for a Translator and at last a LT1 MAF, new or used. Doesn't have to be a plus necessarily; standard one is sufficient. For sure get a Turbotweak chip once you decide on injectors.

I'm thinking about going with 60lb injectors, ultimate goal for car is high 11's maybe mid..just want a nice driver nothing too crazy.. I can go with a larger injector even with a stock turbo ect correct?

Watch out for the one tire fire with the opens diff. Nothing worse that going down the road, right rear tire blazing, you're grinning at your buddies, and when you push it into second, it hangs both tires and here you go through the ditch.

Watch out for the one tire fire with the opens diff. Nothing worse that going down the road, right rear tire blazing, you're grinning at your buddies, and when you push it into second, it hangs both tires and here you go through the ditch.
What's the easiest way to fix that?

Last edited:
60# inj are perfect, just get a TT chip to match and a fuel system.

Most importantly, THIS TIME, do some serious stuff to protect this beautiful GN from being stolen again......and I mean REAL SERIOUS STUFF.....you've got to do your best to keep it from those lousy cowards...that would be my priority, rather than going real fast at this time....but that's just me.....sorry yours was stolen......mine was, too, back in 2001, when my late father owned it....but the police found it one month later, parts missing, still ran, so Dad got it back....he was so happy with all the work I put into it for him, he gave it to me before he passed away.......I was so much more fortunate than you in this case, but I just believe it was fate, not luck.

PROTECT THAT GRAND NATIONAL!!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Congrats!

I never understood the reason Buick would offer the GN with an open rear at all. You'd think that would be a standard option on a high performance car.

Congrats!

I never understood the reason Buick would offer the GN with an open rear at all. You'd think that would be a standard option on a high performance car.
Just discussed this yesterday with my son. No Grand National should have come with an open diff. Mine has the open diff but that will be corrected soon.

Op. Good luck with the car.

Just discussed this yesterday with my son. No Grand National should have come with an open diff. Mine has the open diff but that will be corrected soon.

Op. Good luck with the car.
What route are you going to correct? Eaton?

Don't read too much into my humor guys. A dang open diff is dangerous though, because they CAN for no reason, decide to spin two tires. And it's usually when you are least expecting it. My GN came here open, and when I got it, it had a gov-loc in it. I had a stock limited slip from another GN rear I stuffed in it because, well a gov-loc sucks in a car.